Stevia Alternatives

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by ZenKarma, Jun 18, 2016.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

What's the deal with stevia?

I have been using it... everyone else I know avoids it. Saying it tastes awful.

Now I find it has constipative properties...and doc recommends not using it, but offers no alternative.

What are you using instead of sugar (if you don't want sugar) ?

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I use Stevia..it's the answer to my problems with sugar alternatives!
    It's a lot easier on my gut, for sure!
    It tastes far better than any alternatives I ever tasted.
    It's a thumbs up from me.
    If you have constipation, my doc recommends more fibre, but I'm very happy with Stevia .:)

3. ~Zen~

Thanks for the tip Morrow!

I do like the flavour, I am ignoring the others...in that regard. More fibre!

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Try xylitol.

5. morrow

morrow Visitor

parp!! :)

6. ~Zen~

? parp ?

Do you mean [​IMG] flatulence :yikes:

or

PARP inhibitors (a group of pharmacological inhibitors of the enzyme poly ADP ribose polymerase (PARP). They are developed for multiple indications; the most important is the treatment of cancer.)

I have had xylitol in a jello like dish which was all I was allowed to eat during colonoscopy prep, but I didn't notice anything unusual. (Or would I?)

So which one can you cook with readily without dangerous chemical compound changes?

I like keeping my blood sugar lower than most, but normal, without using drugs. Diet, exercise are 100 times better for me than the drugs.

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

And can give you flatulence, yes Chris, haha..

Stevia is made from plant, and has none of the side effects of any of the other sugar replacement apart from in some, constipation! Which can be treated natural.

As you can imagine, being t1 diabetic, Stevia is ground breaking for me, as I've always had problems with sugar alternatives, just unlucky I guess, but now, it's cool, I can eat sweet again, without waking up the insulin, so to speak lol.

I've used it in no end of cooked foods, and it's quite stable, doesn't have an after taste, and no one in the family appears to have noticed, so, go for it!

If you fancy trying it, the famous coffee shops are giving it free as an alternative to sugar ;)

9. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Cinnamon works with some things. Though not necessarily an alternative per-say.