Album Debut Titles? (An Analysis)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Terrapin2190, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

This might belong in the Random Thoughts forums... but here goes.

Album debut titles. The first album an artist puts out. Do you think that the title of an artist's first album has an impact on their initial (and/or lifetime) popularity?

Some artists choose to entitle their debut album after the name of their band. Some choose to label it from a song title on their album that either A. They think is the 'best' song they created on the album B. Words from one of the songs that may be a combination of the above examples C. The song that may seem like the 'center' or main subject of the album, D. They think is the song that people will like the most or be the most popular.

Some like to be (essentially) more creative and name it something different that sort of summarizes the album.

Another question, what do you think determines the naming of an artist's album?

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

3. Rots in hell

1 person likes this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

If the music is likable that's what counts. The marketing of the album, as far as the title is concerned, is probably of lesser import. For example Filter "Title of Record", or Deadmau5 "Random Album Title" and "Album Title Goes Here".

5. Rots in hell

I am Inspired To post A song Off Ogdens Now !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChuX1Be-4c&feature=youtu.be

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i can't imagine album titles being that significant as far as album popularity. might have made more of a difference back when people actually bought albums, particularly without having heard most of it online already.

7. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Does the amount of thought that goes into an album title (or song titles for that matter) reflect the personal creativity of the artist(s)?

I agree that the title of an album, for the most part, does not affect sales. Then again, that would also bring into account the preceding popularity of said artist. If you like the artist and their music, you're going to buy the album regardless of the title of their album. Depending on if the artist spans different genres. Keller Williams for example. He spans many genres. Started out as a mix of genres at that. Some listeners that are more into his older stuff might not care for some albums such as Pick or Thief where he collaborated with several others on more of a bluegrass note.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, or my original intention. Just a random thought.

(Maybe I should move this to the random thoughts area lol! But it's centered around music?)

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I probably can't give a definitive answer, because as Iminmyunderwear mentioned, the way we consume/listen to music has changed with the internet. One noticeable difference for me is with say cd's I liked the idea of a self titled eponymous debut. However, with the internet, I find searching a redundant band name and album title to just be the slightest bit of inconvience because the filters will often just key on the band name or something. It's not something that prevents me from finding music if I really like it, just that the approach to the experience is quite different.