Anti-Makeup Movement

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Karen_J, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Alicia Keys is trying to start one. She has decided not to wear makeup anymore, not on stage, not on TV, not in her personal life, not anywhere. I wonder how many will follow her example.

Now and then, I'll go without on weekends, but I'm a long way from being prepared to dump it for good. I may never be there.

This comes just a couple of weeks after Julia Roberts taking a bold stand against rules requiring high heels at formal events, attending a French film festival barefoot. I think a lot of women are starting to see a lot of these rules as ways for men to make women conform to their ideals and expectations. There's definitely some truth to that.

Is wearing all this traditional stuff good or bad? I say it depends on your reasons for doing it. Choices are always better than expectations. I also have to say, to be perfectly honest and open about this, that the no-makeup look seems to work a lot better for women with darker skin. Spike heels are bad for everybody.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/03/alicia-keys-writes-powerful-essay-explaining-why-shes-stopped-wearing-makeup-5921182/

1 person likes this.
  2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

My wife almost never wears makeup, only for very special events like weddings.
    She doesn't smoke, doesn't drink and doesn't wear makeup.
    as a result her skin and complexion is essentially the same as when we first met ~25 years ago. :daisy:

3 people like this.
  3. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

I like wearing makeup, and I don't think I'll ever give it up for good.

There are days where I go without, and I don't mind. But I like to wear a bit of makeup if I'm going out, or even if I am just staying in. I dunno, I like looking pretty for my man.

Good for Alicia Keys, though.

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Alicia Keys is also beautiful, which probably makes her decision an easier one.

I enjoy makeup, sometimes. I don't think that women should need it in order to feel attractive to other people. That's a sad reality, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think a lot of women look better without makeup. I feel like it ages me so I don't wear it generally except mascara and sometimes I'll wear a bright red lipstick when I go out.

I'm tired of the heavy contoured look so popular with celebrities these days. It makes everyone look the same. Good for Alicia Keys for embracing natural beauty

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

http://youtu.be/5dbshnvztGA​
    "don't give vanity a second chance
    no no no
    beauty's only skin deep
    it goes just so far 'cause
    you're only pretty as you feel
    you're only pretty as you feel inside
    just as pretty as you feel​
    So girl, don't hang yourself up
    On no plastic face
    A little bit of soap will wipe away
    Any grease 'cause​
    You're only pretty as you feel
    Say, you're only pretty as you feel
    You're only pretty as you feel
    Pretty as you feel inside"​

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

aren't makeup and heels a couple of those things that women do mostly to impress other women? because most men don't care?

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I don't know if that's true or not.

9. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

never been into make up
    I get by with burts bees lip balm

10. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I love makeup! It's like fancy face painting and I'll never stop! That being said, I don't actually wear makeup every day and I'm not scared to be seen with a bare face.

1 person likes this.
  11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

without makeup and clear high heels how are us dudes supposed to know who the skankss are?....

1 person likes this.
  12. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

RiderOnTheStorm2.0 Lizard Kween Lifetime Supporter

I stopped wearing makeup about 5 years ago. It wasn't a conscious decision to protest anything or be "anti" anything. I used to be one of those girls that wouldn't even go outside to get the mail if I didn't have a full face on. But it was a pain in the ass. It added 20-30 minutes onto getting ready every day. It takes me 10 minutes to get ready now: get dressed, deodorant, brush/floss teeth, brush hair, use the bathroom, done.

I just showed up to work one day with no makeup on. And it took some getting used to. But it was great being able to sneeze or cry without worrying about my mascara and eyeliner smudging. Girls at work kept asking me like "but you're single. How are you gonna find a man?" I was worried that I'd be single forever, but then I thought "if makeup is what deters a man from approaching me, he's not the kind of man I want." And every subsequent guy I've been with has not only told me they prefer women without makeup, but that my confidence to go about my business without it was what got them interested.

The other benefit of not wearing makeup (aside from having MUCH better skin, more time to myself, more money in my pocket, etc) is that on rare occasions when I DO wear it, it's more meaningful. People know I cared enough them/the event to get dolled up. My boyfriend gets to see me in a way that is now special. By looking "normal" all the time, I have rediscovered the uniqueness of presenting myself differently whenever I choose to. There's nothing special about putting on makeup for your lover or a party if you always wear makeup. It's like buying a fancy ballgown. You don't wear it everyday - it's special and breathtaking because it's a rarity. If you wore a ballgown everywhere everyday, no one would look twice.

I love it. I could never ever go back to wearing it every day. I love the way I look with AND without it, but nothing beats the way it feels not having to worry about it. Especially on a hot summer's day here in NYC when women's faces look like they're melting off under the sun with their foundation and mascara running all over the place LOL.

1 person likes this.
  13. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I ditto what you said above...Used to put it on to jog 5 miles up and down the street where I used to live. Who saw me? Some passing deer or raccoon? lol
    Then.......we moved here, and I hardly ever wear it anymore. Who cares? i am all over the place out there without it. I will put it on for special occassions......and to pretty up.....and it only takes me 5 minutes at the most to apply what i do wear, when I do......

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

15. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

1 person likes this.
  16. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Either way, I never thought she was very pretty or attractive, but she does look so much better with less make up.
    If you have good skin, you can get away with it xD

17. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I'm active on a hair board. The mantra is "I'm not here to decorate your world."
    So, if someone doesn't like how you wear your hair, your clothes, your choice to wear it avoid make up, heels and all the rest, the appropriate response is based in you doing you.
    Not here to decorate your world.

1 person likes this.
  18. Metal Groomp

Metal Groomp Members

There were a few times I've tried makeup but overall I don't like it. I'm not trying to rebel or anything, I just don't see the reason for putting it on. I'm quite happy with how my skin is even though it's far from "perfect" but I don't let it get to me much.

19. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

I've never worn makeup because I'm a loser and I'm not cool. I don't know how to put it on. I had no idea until now that I am an activist.

20. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Alicia Keys, no make up, VMAs 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking great <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.