Is Hedonism Social?

Discussion in 'Hedonism' started by TheSamantha, Jun 2, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

When I think of a hedonist, I get the image of a social butterfly.

Is it good for a hedonist to socialize? A lot? Are most people boring? Annoying?

2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Well more accurately a hedonist would be a person who believes that the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life; a pleasure-seeker.

When visiting with a voluptuous German hostess in Bavaria she noted that I was a hedonist. At the time I knew not whether it was a compliment or not. From her standpoint I am sure she meant it in a complimentary manner, as she definitely exhibited all the classic signs of living the life of sybarite (sensualist, voluptuary, pleasure-seeker, bon viveur, bon vivant) herself.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

So does socializing add to pleasure or take away from it?

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

a lot of where people expect to find pleasure is motivated more socially then by experience.
    a lot of socially motivated expectations of pleasure disappoint more then gratify.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Why do you suppose that is?

6. ~Zen~

I find socializing can be a two-edged sword... either good or bad... it is what you make of it.... we create our own realities :)

1 person likes this.
  7. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I know so many people who say people are awful. Not sure why they feel that way...

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Cyrenaic School of hedonism taught that only immediate sensations can be known. It was based on the senses.
    The pleasurable sensations derived during eating are the most important.
    What you eat is most important.

Epicurus believed the greatest pleasure comes form the intellect and social interactions.
    The pleasurable sensations derived during socializing with others as you are eating are the most important.
    Whom you eat with is most important.

2 people like this.
  9. ~Zen~

Thanks MeAgain! Excellent words on the subject...

10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Socializing with non-hedonists can be very unpleasant.

1 person likes this.
  11. ~Zen~

Thankfully I am considered hedonistic... I really enjoy living life... it's where it's at :)

1 person likes this.
  12. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I want to give people a chance but I don't want their sour grapes.

Yes hedonism is definitely the way to go.

13. ~Zen~

I just smile in the naysayers faces and live my life as happily as can be. I find sharing a meal with friends is a great way to be a hedonist... put down the cell, pick up the fork, sip the wine, enjoy the talk. Best bet, get outside :) We have a lot to learn from the Europeans about how to enjoy life and be hedonistic.
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150613]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150598]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150600]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150601]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150290]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150289]
    [sharedmedia=gallery:images:150288]

2 people like this.
  14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

For anybody who wants to learn a lot about what a truly hedonistic local society can be, and learn it quickly, I'd recommend spending a few days in the New Orleans, in and around the French Quarter. Get to know some of the local people. Get them talking about their lifestyles and values. Many of them are very open about things that you might not expect them to share, and I doubt that there's another place in the US where you will find that many true hedonists living in one place. San Francisco is so gentrified now, Vegas is so commercialized, Boulder (CO) and Portland are somewhat pretentious and fake in their hedonistic subculture, and Asheville (NC) has some growing to do before it catches up with New Orleans. Tiny but wild Key West (FL) can't grow because there's no land. I can't think of any other serious contenders in the US. The big NO is still the champ, as it has been for many decades.

1 person likes this.