Is Drug Dealing Immoral?

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by TheSamantha, May 21, 2016.

1. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

Is someone saying the behaviour of a store owner who sells cigarettes to a smoker is immoral. Really...? That must rank as one of the biggest "let's shift the blame" on to someone else ever.

2. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to have an excess of weed that I may or may not have taken money for. It wasn't a live or die situation but it sure helped pay for some of my education and I still consider myself a good person overall.

1 person likes this.
  3. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

In my post I say that it is my opinion that selling cigarettes (which are harmful) is immoral behavior. I'm not sure if your reply above is referring to my post or not.

If so, I wasn't implying any blame on anyone's part. People make their own decisions(however I believe they aren't made in a vacuum, without influence). I just think it's not moral behavior too cause harm for personal gain if it's avoidable. We all do it to one degree or another though, and I'm not saying people who sell cigarettes are bad. I was just responding with my opinion.

4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Yeah, one person working in one store definitely doesn't have the power to decide whether or not anyone smokes, other than himself.

On the other hand, the big cigarette manufacturing companies have been found guilty of using all kinds of dirty tricks. Those companies are disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  5. expanse

Yeah, but weed has more beneficial qualities than harmful ones.

I drive a car to work. It causes harm. It's all justification and how deeply you think into it. Hopefully one day soon I can drop everything that I've found to be unnecessary and harmful. It's hard to make yourself do that with people depending on you though.

6. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I see the point you are making.

But you have to concede that when one is denied drugs, the addict can grow violent and use even violent means to procure it, to the extent of robbery or murder. Pleasure which one is used to, when denied, can bring in great anger and violence.

If you deny a Mac to the obese, he will most probably still be in a sane and balanced mindset to acknowledge the reason for it, and seek treatment or undergo fitness training to get trim and healthy..

My brother was almost hit by a car driven by one high on drugs. He went and hit an electricity post instead. An obese guy would not be involved in that.

I would also like to state here that the real solution to drugs is meditation. Drugs can open for a time being states of higher consciousness at a price. Meditation does the same at no expense ,and it is healthier as well.

Imo, it is the lack of a meditative culture in the west, along with the heavy stress and strain on the psyche due to the prevalent materialism, that makes one resort to drugs.

7. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

So is selling high sugar sweets or over salted snacks to kids by this definition as it is harmful to their health. Where do you stop? Again, this is just shifting the responsibility away from the person indulging in the behaviour. There is way too much finger pointing going on, but then the US has a reputation for being highly litigious.

1 person likes this.
  8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Just imagine a store where you can't buy anything until you pass an interview. "Why do you want to buy that? What are you going to do with it?"

:dizzy2: :bomb:

9. expanse

Yes, I put selling high sugar sweets and over salted snack to kids in the same category. Some stuff is obviously not as harmful as other stuff, but I think selling anything that is harmful is immoral to one degree or another.

I'm not going to say that I want to agree to disagree because I don't disagree with you. However, I'm not trying to take any responsibility away from someone who is indulging and putting it on those supplying(except in the case of children). I'm just saying that selling something harmful is none other than gaining from another's expense. To me that is immoral. I'm no Ghandi myself. I put people, and other animals, in harm's way when I drive my car. I work for a company that pollutes the environment(however much they try to lower the output of pollution). I could probably make a big list of my immoral behavior. None of it rates high on my scale though, haha!

I just happen to rate certain things higher on my immorality scale.

And yes, you are right - the u.s. does have a reputation(and lives up to this reputation) for being highly litigious.

That would definitely suck. I think more labeling of ingredients and warnings about health effects of products should replace any restrictions. And better education(free and equal education) about health would be nice too.

10. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

well here's a news flash for ya, refined white sugar is very highly addictive and is one of the worst things we consume, more so than a vast majority of "recreational" drugs.
    So what ya gonna do about sugar?

ps. in my book, working for company that you know damages the environment is worse than selling burgers or cigs, as long as we are comparing moral hierarchies.

11. expanse

Yeah, I rate working for a polluting company higher too. Only a few more years to go though.

I rate selling sugar moderately high on my morality scale.