I'm Frustrated.....

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Ashalicious, Apr 30, 2016.

1. lode

lode Banned

You've only known one stinky person before?

Where do you live?

2. Bud D

Bud D Member

I also new a Jewish person that was said to be stinky. He wanted to be a hippy and stopped taking care of his hygiene. It was rumored that the health department made an issue of that.

Just to put it out there most Jewish people I've known were clean.

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There was an egyptian guy when i wss in 8th grade that didnt wear deodorant. He rode my bus and the whole bus made a big deal about it. One day i had some deodorant in my gym bag so i tossed it ov er the seat to him. I still feel bad about that. Kids are cruel

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well, i left out the smelly kid in elementary school. i think every class is required to have one, so that's not so much cultural as it is just being the person that the classroom stink gremlins chose to attack.

other than that, i can only think of the one. sure, i've met plenty of stinky people, but none that i would claim to know.

5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Yep. in grade 8 I sat beside the stinkiest Russian guy ever. Someone left a bar of soap on his desk once. It was kind of mean, but also sitting beside him and breathing was hard.

He only overly stinky person I know now acutely does have very serious depression, so maybe mental health has something to do with your neighbours stinky problems, like others have said. I always feel bad for my friend's neighbours. No one ever visits him anymore because there is a stench in the hallway before you even get in his apartment and being inside makes your eyes water.

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Ok so far we have
    jewish
    egyptian
    russian

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

my guess is asian

8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I will guess from India....My mom told me about a couple that lived in an apt where she lived at one time, and how the odors were permeating everywhere cooking Eastern Indian dishes all of the times, that she did not like to smell......and if one is not used to their way of cooking and using herbs and spices, it can be intolerable to the Western nose, I have concluded about that.

9. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Okay. I'll tell you guys. He is Turkish, from Istanbul.

There is some good advice here. I think I'll probably speak to the landlord again, and hopefully he will do something about it. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have written that note. But I was beyond frustrated at that time, and sick of drowning in stench.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm just wondering now if you signed the note or left it anonymous.
    If you put your name under it that would make all the difference for me if I were him. But saying it in person would be the preferred way imho

11. Asmodean

Poor turks... They're getting a bad rep lately :p

12. Ashalicious

I didn't sign the note.

13. Asmodean

Good chance he mainly got pissed because of that. Or he can't smell and it all came as a terribly shameful suprise. Who knows? Just confront him friendly (like you did in the note) so you can hear his reaction right away. If he's unreasonable its better to find out soon.. :p

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

So in Turkey "parents don't teach their children basic life skills, like how to do laundry and take care of yourself on a regular basis"?

My experience with Turks was completely different. Clean people, clean children, with normal hygiene habits.
    Anyways, dude has issues, and I doubt it has anything to do with the culture.

1 person likes this.
  15. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Or did you mean that it's a culture where mothers and sisters do everything for male members of the family, and end up raising giant babies who can't even do the laundry on their own?
    If yes, you're wrong.

16. Ashalicious

It is likely that he can't smell his own scent, because he is so used to it.....

17. Ashalicious

I didn't mean to stereotype the culture.

18. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

um i think i need to start bathing and cleaning house...my momalways complains of my smell amd dirty clothes but i ignore her
    I think you made me realize how serious a thing this could really be
    Is there a way you could make him want to do it?
    like say boy this place would look nice clean or i dunno
    tell him peopke are complaining and want to kick him out but you wont say who might work
    does he like women? you might somehow bring up the fact women like cleanliness and good smelling things
    or just tell the landlord

19. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Since you've already sent him a note and talked to the landlord about this, it's been an ongoing issue, and you seem to be determined to get results, you may need to consider legal action.

I'm not sure what real estate law is like in bc, but there is a general legal principle of "quiet enjoyment" in real estate law. That is, that you have a right to prevent others from infringing on conditions necessary to your enjoying your legal place of residence.

You may want to talk to your other neighbors and see if it is an issue for them too. Then talk to a real estate lawyer (a legal clinic would be cheaper if you are eligible). In principle there might be a book on real estate law or other free/low cost info on the subject.

If in fact you have a legal right to quiet enjoyment (I'm guessing that you probably do), you may be able to send a letter (via a traceable method so it serves as formal legal notice) to the landlord (along with other tenants if they feel the same) demanding that the issue has to be resolved or that you will stop paying rent (along with your neighbors, if they want to do this).

There may have to be some legally defined period of advanced notice, but this is a typical method forcing landlords to do stuff when they drag their feet on something.

The landlord in turn would basically be forced to tell this guy that he has to clean up or face eviction proceedings.

20. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so basically, hipforums has taught us that turks are a bunch of whiny guys who can't get laid (except by male hookers), smoke synthetic weed, and smell bad.

2 people like this.