What If This Is It? What If There Is No God Or Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Sunnyriver, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

I don't appear to have much control in what I make up, because when rain falls, I still get wet, and when I'm hungry, I still need to eat, and when I hook some brains up to this special helmet, many report a religious experience . . .

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Only if you know, one way or another, and that's impossible. You place your bets and live with the consequences.

3. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

I guess i will live the way i am living and enjoy life. keyword enjoy. that way if there is nothing i have wasted nothing
    if i am in the wrong faith i can say well you did not tell me anything.
    guess that us all anyone can do cause we really know nothing.

4. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

FYI

Slightly off topic but related to the above post by Chod.

http://sci-hub.cc/

Journals galore.

5. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Proof of such things as God and an afterlife are very subjective. Most people do not need a proof one way or the other, and they never get it. Some people do not require much for such proof and accept simple results or rationalizations as proof. Other people, like myself, require quite a bit---something that really cannot be denied no matter how hard you try to rationalize it. I would say that if such proof is really all that important to you, and you continue to look for it, you will probably find it. I travelled around the world for it, and eventually found it. It took many years, and there was a point where I gave in and stopped looking, but...

Consider this, if you have eternal life, and that in your 'immortal form' as spirit, you had a considerable amount of control over your reality, eternity would get pretty monotonous pretty quickly. It is like the Twilight Zone episode where the gambler is upset because he hardly wins, so a kindly spirit puts him in the Twilight Zone where he always wins. At first it seems great, but soon he gets tired of winning all the time. After a bit he realizes that there is no meaning for him in his gambling if all he is going to do is win. Why even gamble?

In the same manner, to gain meaning and beat the monotony of our reality, as immortals, we would want a physical life, or lives, where our true immortal reality was hidden from us, and where we would face what seemed to be authentic moral, ethical, and physical challenges; where we were able to do great things, or alternatively, faced great challenges, struggles, or handicaps; where we could experience all the emotions, good or bad. Life may simply be a place to experience and be challenged; it could be a game; or a place to learn; certainly a place to gain memories. Death, in this sense, would simply be a coming back home to our true selves.

6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

". . . but sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle in the hand of another... There are just some kind of men who--who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results."

-Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

7. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Gods and the afterlife are subjective to each persons mind and are only expounded upon by influence. In other words your god is your god as is your afterlife

8. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

I guess perfection would get old after awile

9. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

So, our afterlife will be what we belived it be? i like the idea and thar our God is our God

10. Dubbers1

Dubbers1 Members

If there is no afterlife what of it?
    We have no proof there is, no one has been there and come back. I don't worry that I have no memory before I was born, or conceived. I don't question that point. I see no point in living to please a god who doesn't care about me or how I am, or anyone else on the planet. Supposedly all loving yet sits by and lets bad shit happen to innocents.
    If god has a plan for you or us all, where is free will is everything predestitened.
    An afterlife is where we the living hope the dead go, I can accept the fact that it doesn't exist for me. Also what difference does it make if I believe in it, until I actually die is it not just a schrodinger's cat experiment. When people close to me die they live on inside me. This is good enough for me.

11. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Essentially thinking about deities is like trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle. Each one is a small perspective on a greater truth. Whats more we have created these "gods" from our desire to understand reality around us. When we believe they exist they exist. The same can be said of the afterlife.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The dawning of wisdom!

13. And we're moving towards that epoch at an alarming rate. I sometimes wonder if that's why we see no advanced alien civilizations, if they all unbalance themselves into oblivion out of an effort to make their lives easier. Maybe a singularity does come when this process speeds up exponentially and can no longer be reversed, i.e. there is no psychological will to reverse it. And what becomes of these civilizations? Maybe they comfort themselves into higher dimensions where they can no longer be touched by this world. All before getting the chance to build spaceships and come visit us.

As far as the God helmet goes:

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/06/can-neuroscience-understand-donkey-kong-let-alone-a-brain/485177/

Neuroscience Can't Understand Donkey Kong, Much Less A Brain

Also:

http://ageac.org/en/multimedia/scientist-says-he-found-definitive-proof-that-god-exists-2/

Michio Kaku has developed some insane theory that proves a God or something.

14. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

Nope. Watch the video; he says no such thing, he only waxes poetic about the possible interpretations of highly theoretical string theory and its relations to pure mathematics. Watch the actual video, then look at the headline the website chose for the video, then ask yourself if this website's editorial staff strike you as level headed and unbiased.

15. I don't want to watch the video but I don't get how this can be ambiguous:

Are they just making up that he said that.

16. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I can't accept that death is the end. That sucks. I love the idea that this is a simulation and that I'll wake up on some other planet and be the big hero because I went through a tough Earth simulation for 24 hours.

17. It seems like it would be an atypical waste of information for the universe if our personas, that one bit of information we're most privy to, must one day be utterly destroyed with no hope of recovery.

18. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

atypical means not of the type; i don't know the universe well enough to comment on its type of behavior, but it seems that whatever the universe does, that is typical for the universe. I also don't know what information we are or are not privy to, nor am I familiar with "personas", or their relevance, even to us. I cannot comment on whether or not they exist, or are destroyed, or have a hope of recovery.

Finding our deep rooted assumptions is the first step in unlearning :)

1 person likes this.
  19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

too bad, because the video does not support the claims made on the site or what you posted relating to it.
    Do you always make judgements, form opinions and make proclamations based on 0 evidence and information, only sensational taglines?

Are you afraid to watch the video because it doesn't support your views?

You are the second person in a week who has voiced opinions and made definitive statements about something based on a complete lack of information and further refuse to actually look at and consider the info.

WTF is wrong with you people??!!
    do you enjoy remaining ignorant when the information is readily available?
    do you enjoy making yourselves look like fools when it becomes apparent you have no idea what you are talking about?

the first one, about donkey kong, is kinda lame. I see what they are going on about, but all they could ever hope to learn by that approach is the mechanics of how the thing works, not how it interprets and represents the content being processed.
    Same with the brain, only much more complex because the content can alter the mechanisms of functions, but that can't happen with micro-chips. Programming can not physically alter the chip or alter how it functions, but that can happen with a brain.

the second video is nice poetic theorizing, but still very,very,very,very far from being confirmed fact.

man, critical thinking and discernment seem to be in short supply......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.