What If This Is It? What If There Is No God Or Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Sunnyriver, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

I study many religions
    I talk to God and God talks to mw
    got an altar, rosary pray. mediate
    i am into many religious groups on facebook

But, sometimes Atheists challenge me and I also watch documentaries
    one said that the brain does not know it is a brain
    it can answer questions, give you good feelings and Scientists even invented a god hemet that can mess with you and give you a religious experiance
    Also, there is no physical proof God or an afterlife exists...none
    I love God and want an afterlife and i hope to God i am wrong!

but, what of Atheists are right...
    Should i give up my beliefs now that i know i can prove nothing?
    I don't know my religion and everything makes me happy
    its not like i am depriving myself of anything i would never do it now
    People in Alabama want you to be Christian and follow a church with rules

i am not gonna waste my time on this earth with this life i have no proof wont be the last one.
    i am gonna spend time with my family and freinds
    i am gonna spend tiime outdoors
    i am gonna enjoy ever single part of life i can
    cause i am not so, sure i would get another chance if i died.

if God is just me talking back
    i sure am a good freind and wise in my opinion

I heard we make our own God in our head
    maybe so i don't know

i hope there is a God or afterlife
    What if this is all there is?

it maybe no matter what you belive actually...
    your body will stay on earth when you die no matter what happens
    it will be the last time you are who you are right now.

it is so unfair...
    handicapped people just get one life to be handicapped
    animals never get to be human
    babies die when they are born
    i got a deformed face and alot of problems but it could be worse

Sometimes i wonder why God allows the suffering, pain and death God does
    lets so many religions fight over each other
    i don't know
    if i see God i would sure like to have a cup of coffee with him and ask him about things
    i am sure alot pf people would

enjoy life, everyone and everything in it
    it will be your last...

2 people like this.
  2. quark

quark Parts Unknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAkPaChO6c

3. There may be some kind of afterlife, there may not. If there is a God that allows suffering to exist, then I can only guess that it's the only way the world can possibly be, painful, and still be experienced. Which would seem to make sense on the surface, because if there were no pain there would be no reason to seek pleasure or do anything. But then I would also have to suppose that the afterlife would have to be painful, or it would have to have a dark side as well as a light side, and you would never experience only the dark side or the light side, as everything needs to be juxtaposed. But then, the afterlife could be bliss if you reckon that this world is the equivalent of pain and dischord and the afterlife juxtaposes that. But then I think the afterlife would require being reincarnated into this world so that you retain some memory of the juxtaposition. This is all taking for granted that time as we know it exists. Your death is the end of your relationship to time, and no one really knows how a conscious being relates to time. It basically comes down to the power of mind over matter. You know how time flies when you're having fun, or fifteen minutes can seem like an hour. Well maybe the psychological experience of death just seems to take completely forever, even in just a moment.

If there is no afterlife then I feel very lucky for the life I have been given, which is not all that hard. It isn't easy, either, but I appreciate it. It doesn't psychologically matter to me if there's an afterlife or not, as I would have been satisfied with the life I've got. But then, yeah, you think of the poor and suffering and wonder if they could say the same thing. Maybe they really hope for a chance that things could be different and aren't satisfied with what they got. I think, if we can't know what happens, the best we can do is try to lift other people out of the gutter so that we can all say that, even if there isn't an afterlife, it doesn't matter because life was the best thing ever. Because, if it were universally even just okay for everyone and there is no afterlife, then it would literally have been the best thing ever. And what's so bad about having had the best thing ever if you're never going to experience not having it?

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would say that would be all the more reason to not make what life we have miserable for each other, and thus ourselves.

its really the same whether there are gods or heavens or next lives, what have you, or not.
    suffering is suffering whatever world we're in, so it makes no sense to add to it.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

I think people would be freaked out if God was like an aquarium owner, tapping on the glass all the time..

1 person likes this.
  6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I can totally relate there, sunnyriver! :)

My beliefs hurt no one. I believe in God and am most usually very grateful that I have this belief, this entity that I can go to for comfort.

Sometimes, I really wonder about lots of things though...but I always wind up where I began,

and I'm grateful all over, knowing things could be oh so much worse.

That doesn't mean I think things are perfect. Perfection is not part of this existence, of that I am certain.

But if this is it, then so be it.

I wouldn't do a thing differently...

7. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

I have heard things like without light there can be no dark or without pain no pleasure but don't really get it.
    i would like my life and everyone elses life to be the best life ever.
    i guess i need to really appreciate what i have cause i could be worse off.
    what is juxtaposition?

8. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

i agree try to make life good for you and everyone else

9. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

i have always ondered if the universe is in an aquarium and alies are watching us
    but, i have no proof

10. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

i think i will have that attitude about my belefs i am not doing anything diffently
    it makes me feel good
    if my Gods just in my head oh well guess he will just go with me.

1 person likes this.
  11. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I think rather than believe in god,I tend to make the most of my time on this earth,rather than "expect"an afterlife.I do try as much as possible to be a nice person,and take good care of myself,by eating well,regular exercise etc.I understand why people pray,but in reality,when you pray,you're really just reaffirming something in your own mind.So lets say a family member is ill?You pray to "god"to make them better,but in reality you're just telling yourself,because thats what you would like to happen (the person getting better).
    I had a very strange experience a few years ago.I've always been open minded.At the time,I lived in Australia,and had a close knit group of friends,One of these friends was named Debbie.One night we were sat around,having a drink and chat.We agreed,that whoever died first (we were all in our early 40's at the time)would try and "come back"to somehow let the others know,there was an afterlife.We had a few laughs and I forgot about it.Years later,I'm now living in the UK.(10,000 miles away from Australia).One morning,I awoke suddenly,and started bawling my eyes out.My husband woke up,and asked what was wrong.I replied "Debbie has died"My husband was obviously shocked and asked me how I knew this.How did I know this?I still cant answer that question all these years later.he suggested I ring Debbie to put my mind at ease.So I got out of bed,and tried ringing her house.No answer! I felt quite stressed,and decided to check my emails.To my horror,I had an email from another mutual friend (who had been with Debbie and I on that night we had made the pact)saying "Please ring me...Urgent!" I rang the friend,and she answered the phone saying "I have some bad news"I replied "I already know!Debbie is dead right"?My friend asked how I already knew that news,and I couldnt answer her.I found out from her that Debbie had been found dead on her loungeroom floor the day before.No one at first knew her cause of death but later the coroners report came back saying she had died of cervical cancer.She didnt know she had it. I had spoken to Debbie 3 weeks before she died,and she said she was fine. How can I explain what happened?I can't.I believe (and Im open minded to this)that Debbie "visited" me somehow when I was asleep to tell me she had passed away.I really dont know tbh.

1 person likes this.
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

It depends on how you define God.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There is no God or Afterlife

14. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

wow, what an interesting experiance maybe you can get a hypnotest to help you recall the dream.
    Sorry for your loss

15. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

It was'nt a dream though.I didnt dream she died,and then woke up crying?Nope!I just woke up from a restful sleep,and started crying knowing(somehow?) she had died.

16. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

(Yogamat)....hugs to you for the loss of your friend.....and a heartfelt experience....that makes you wonder. The night my mom must have died, i had a strange dream of two dolls...a male and female one....I collected dolls then....and the unspoken message to me in my dream, and i understood it without any words was for me to take care of my brother......She would have given me that message, even though she did not have to. It was a strangedreamlike I never had before.
    I found out the next day she was gone.....I called the cops in that town and had them go check on her, as my brother and i could not reach her by phone......and they called me back with the bad news after breaking the chains she had on on the door in the inside of the door....so they had to use force to get in there, after getting the manager to unlock her door from the outside....I just fell onto the floor steps crying my eyes out.

1 person likes this.
  17. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps, with those we are closest to in life, there is a thread of energy that is between...You can feel those connections in life with some people.....It is the times they are broken that hurt.....but anyway.....that energy connection is constant with some......and when they are dieing, maybe their last thoughts that they put into the universe reach you some how.....logical explanation here.....

When my mom was alive, she always read my mind...even miles apart...and would call me up and know exactly what was going on without me saying anything....That happened all of the time.

This song comes to mind.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

1 person likes this.
  18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This is it...

Unless you come back again to do it all over again because you fucked this one all up.

19. Sunnyriver

Sunnyriver Members

the somg makes me think of how i think when i go walking
    Wow, these stories makes me wonder if there is an afterlife or something
    i hope so

20. Zzap

Zzap Member

of course not.

why would anyone accept atheists beliefs when they cant prove their beliefs any more than you can prove yours?

The inability to prove your position is true is not proof that a position contrary to yours is true, despite highly charged rhetorical atheists often violate the rules of logical reasoned argument and demand that it is. You have no reason what so ever to change your beliefs to theirs. Hence everyone else has their religion you have yours.

Dont worry about it, atheists cant prove you are wrong. So believe what your heart tells you.

The rest I am sure you will sort out.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.