Is It Immoral To Have Children?

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by TheSamantha, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Bud D

Bud D Member

Life is a gamble, risks can be minimized. I think embryo screening is smart. Maybe not for hair color or eye color, but for inherited diseases.

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

Totally agree.... but at the same time, disagree.
    my little grand daughter has CF and other problems, all from faulty genes, so i could say i think people should be screened, but thats like saying i dont want her, and no way is that true, she is the bravest, happiest child i have ever known...and clever!!! you have no idea!
    so i guess, now days, screening is there..you should use it.
    dont have children to trap a guy, you will lose in the end, and that is selfish!
    otherwise... kids are great...they are the future.

1 person likes this.
  3. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There isn't screening for all conditions. Does it mean that someone who is less than "perfect" is not going to contribute to society in a meaningful way or have a decent job?

4. secret_thinker

Someone I work with has CF. I have asked her if she wants any kids and she says she would if she met the right person but otherwise it doesn't bother her too much. Her CF has caused her lots suffering throughout her life but she lives a more enriched life than so many people without health complications! She travels frequently, works in a very demanding job and is such a sweetheart.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Well why did you have kids to begin with if you don't mind me asking?

6. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

It's not about being perfect. It's about not suffering too much.

It's not about society. It's about the child.

7. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Human extinction would be good for the planet.

The pet is already alive. Besides, animals don't have rights.

8. secret_thinker

In your original post you mentioned yoga and a decent job.

People that suffer a lot generally feel less sorry for themselves than everyone around them does.

My youngest brother has a physical disability that causes him a tremendous amount pain, that he has endured since birth. He is used to it.

9. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Having a child, whether people realize it or not, is a commitment.

You should be prepared to care for that new life for as long as you live if need be; and to make arrangements for that life's care past your own existence should need be.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Since we're speaking hypothetically, i would rather see a world in which every person has access to the neccessary resources to either make an educated decision not to have a child, or access to the resources to make an educated decision to have a child and raise it in an environment in which the child has the greatest chance to succeed.

Rather than a world in which no one has children at all.

Food for thought - there is a net population decrease amongst educated, middle class or wealthy people. And a population increase amongst those living in poverty.

1 person likes this.
  11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Because we believe in mankind.

Children are a joy when they're young, companions as adults, and comfort in your old age.

We had three but lost one at three weeks of age. So now we have two. Two is a good number.

Money is money, but children are humanity.

2 people like this.
  12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i'm guessing[and for me] that being a parent is way more fulfilling than being a materialistic selfish piece of shit

1 person likes this.
  13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Fewer humans would be good for the planet. Extinction might be going too far.

In many countries, animal rights are enshrined in law.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Definitely in our countries, so yeah: how so don't they have rights?

Many pets, and cattle too, are born in captivity for only one goal: to fulfill their (by humans assigned) purposes. So the argument that they're already alive doesn't really stand up either.

But apart from all that its evidently clear that it depends on the details wether people are selfish for having kids or not. I would say most people i know who don't want kids at least partly do so for selfish reasons. They acknowledge the responsibility, costs, time and care that comes with a kid and said thanks but no thanks.

1 person likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont think the Modern Western way is sustainable though, and because of materialism

Personally I love capitalism, reap the benefits myself, and its very likely now I am never going to breed

But, All the western countries are showing the same effects, low or negative population growth, ageing populations, upcoming welfare / pension crises

We just dont breed enough, mostly because of chasing material things

Whilst the other 2/3 of the world, its 6 kids, 20 cousins, growing exponentially

What will be the effect in another 500 years of the disparity between population growth in some regions of the world

The modern western world may even be a fallacy, only had a limited life span from say WWII onwards to maybe only a couple hundred more years until it gets swallowed up by the developed world.

Germany and Japan currently top the world list of median age for its citizens at 46 yrs old, what happens in another 100 years when most of their population is over 60

Individually materialism is a good thing, collectively, I think we are doomed

3 people like this.
  16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its a funny quirk of human nature isnt it

...and that its boredom really that causes most depression

1 person likes this.
  17. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

i get it.....op mentioned having a special needs child means she cant go to yoga........that is just stupid....

not being burdened with parenthood is an option i support....however....not having a child even though you want one just because the kid may not be perfect is lame

18. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Yeah because if you don't have kids you're automatically a materialistic selfish piece of shit. Never mind if you contribute way more to humanity through teaching English to immigrants who are already alive and living in the US and you volunteer at a non-profit helping said immigrants find housing. You're selfish. And since we all know people go into teaching and non-profit work so they can live a life of luxury, you're materialistic too.

Let's not forget that the whole premise of this thread is that it's wrong to have kids because the kids might suffer too much and will in fact die.

Fuck that.

19. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Did I say the kid has to be perfect? Am I perfect?

Try taking a yoga class or sitting in on a meditation group when you have coprolalia and bark loudly or scream obscenities every 20 seconds with no respite throughout your entire life.

20. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

So you had kids because it would make YOU happy.