Is It Immoral To Have Children?

Discussion in 'Ethics' started by TheSamantha, Apr 18, 2016.

1. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I support a woman's right to choose because people who have kids are the selfish ones.

Having kids means gambling with someone else's existence.

You're kid could be born blind, it could have down syndrome, it could pick up Tourette syndrome which means no yoga let alone a decent job in all seriousness.

It doesn't mean that life isn't worth living, but that life isn't worth starting.

2. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Your kid.

3. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Somebody has to have kids, but we could benefit from a lot lower birthrate. Every major problem on earth is made significantly worse by overpopulation. Parenthood should be for people who have a strong desire to do it, not for those who just think it's a standard thing to do.

I'm not just pro-choice, I'm pro-abortion. I know it's not cool or politically correct to say that anymore, but it's the truth. Most major fetal abnormalities can now be detected in the womb. No reason not to start over and try again, except for religious indoctrination, which is not a good reason at all.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Better if there were fewer humans crowding the planet. But a kid could also be a genius who ends up doing something good for humanity. Or at least they could be a person who has a happy and fulfilled life.

If nobody had any further children, the human race would simply die out, which probably isn't what nature intends.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Doing anything new without knowing the precise outcome can be seen as a gamble. Are all people who start up new things then selfish?

1 person likes this.
  6. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

No because that's their own life, not someone else's.

7. BlackBillBlake

The nature of life is that nothing is certain. But if a woman doesn't want kids I don't have any problem with that.

8. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

When I hear pro abortion, I think abortion should be compulsory. Otherwise what's the difference?

9. BlackBillBlake

Depends on what they start - many things people do involve others in risk.

10. BlackBillBlake

Choice?

11. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Yeah but unborn children don't consent to have that risk. Besides, a divorce is worlds apart from being born blind.

12. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

What do you mean by choice? That's pro choice!

13. Jungle-Ed

Jungle-Ed Members

And the confusion reigns over the world. The answer will depend on where your relationship with the Creator stands.

14. BlackBillBlake

By choice I mean a woman should be free to choose to have an abortion if they want. Better if they don't get pregnant to begin with unless they want to and have the ability to raise a child.

15. Asmodean

Should a woman give a fuck? ;) Im more focussing on the selfish part which seems a false premise or huge generalisation at best.

1 person likes this.
  16. BlackBillBlake

Confused here - you mean you're focusing on the statement that it's selfish to have kids? If so I don't think it's necessarily selfish. It actually requires quite a lot of putting oneself in 2nd place to look after them. It could be selfish to want to have a lot of kids given the general over population, or to have a kid if you can't provide for their upbringing.

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

That's an argument in favor of everyone having as many kids as possible. Yikes! [​IMG]

I think it's good to encourage them in some situations.

1 person likes this.
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We've spent a lot of money on our kids, we help them out emotionally, socially, and financially whenever we can. We would have tens of thousands of dollars more in the bank without kids and a lot less worry and concern.

I don't see how that's being selfish.

2 people like this.
  19. Asmodean

Yes. It seems that the OP is based on the assumption that people who wanna have kids are selfish. Seems a huge and false generalisation to me.
    I can see how it COULD be selfish but that depends on the details and im almost certain it doesn't count for the majority of mothers i know.

20. Asmodean

Like BBB said: there wouldn't be a someone else if having kids would be selfish and all people would act upon that. Is that a much better scenario?

Another thought:
    Is keeping cattle or having a pet selfish by default? After all, it's all other life than just our own.