#sb Using Bacteria To Synthesize Designer Drugs

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by Psychotropic3D, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Psychotropic3D

Psychotropic3D Members

I thought this thread might spark some creativity.

There is an emerging field called Synthetic Biology where people use logic in symbolic architecture(computer programming) to synthetically engineer DNA. The DNA is then introduced into living cells including bacteria. The cells then perform the logic they were 'programmed' to do. Through testing they try to improve the cells efficiency by re-engineering the original code.
    There is plenty of videos on Synthetic Biology on YouTube and internet. The scientific community is also promoting people practice Synthetic Biology at home. They call them citizen scientists. You can order DIY kits, use software online, and order out your DNA to be synthesized by a company where they'll send you your DNA in the mail.
    The functions of a cell include manufacture of organic compounds. You can take DNA sequences from a plants DNA, say Papaver Somniferum, find the genes that express morphine synthesis, include it in a DNA sequence created online that may also include stop and go functions based on the presence of other chemicals like caffeine, take synthesised DNA and implant it into a bacterium that naturally lives in your GI tract. Viola! Morphine maintenence.
    Please check this out then put down some ideas you might have. Like ephedrine synthesis from ephedra DNA.
    If you start another post on this subject I'm requesting the hash tag SB (#SB) for synthetic biology for clarity denotation.
    Also check out youtube, MIT teaches courses on the subject.

2. Psychotropic3D

Psychotropic3D Members

PS
    Be mindful of how you distribute these ideas, I'm not sure how or if laws have been imposed on this technology.
    So don't fuck it up!