African American And Mentally Ill In The Media.

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Jimbee68, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I just have one question that I want desperately answered. Why are the vast majority of violent criminals in the media either African American or mentally ill?

The vast, vast, vast majority of both these groups are decent and law-abiding.

Who do the media thing they are helping, by perpetuating both of these stereotypes? Do they think they are helping society?

No, wait, maybe they think they are helping these two groups. Everyone knows if you are black, or mentally ill, and you want a job, the employer will be more likely to hire you, if he thinks you're violent.

Of course I kid. But I kid to make a point.

I don't think it is a conspiracy or anything like that (certainly not a well-planned one). But it clearly seems to sell more of their tainted product, the media, that is.

Anyone else here as fed up and angry this fact as I am? Then please, speak up. We need to address this problem as a society, and we need to do it soon. And preferably before the next avoidable police shooting (African American or mentally ill).

:daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Most of the violent crime that occurs is by black men. I don't think anyone is saying most black people are criminals, but when you have black men shooting and killing each other in cities across America every single day, it's going to be hard to ignore regardless of media bias.

1 person likes this.
  3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

what media are you referring to, news or fiction or FAUX NEWS, which is a blending of the two.
    if you refer to the actual news media, well it's because as PR said, in America black males account for a very disproportionate percentage of violent crime relative to population percentage, so the news media is accurately reflecting reality.
    Same can be said for fictional media as well.

So what was the problem again?

I think part of the problem is you believe what is presented to you concerning police shootings is always true and accurate, unless of course it is the officer getting shot, then it's all lies and conspiracy.

I've run into a few mentally ill nutbags on the street over the years, I would reckon about half of them certainly needed to be put down.

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

wiki...regarding crime stats

Theories of causation
    Historically, crime statistics have played a central role in the discussion of the relationship between race and crime in the United States.[57] As they have been designed to record information not only on the kinds of crimes committed, but also on the individuals involved in crime, criminologists and sociologists have and continue to use crime rate statistics to make general statements regarding the racial demographics of crime-related phenomena such as victimization, arrests, prosecutions, convictions, and incarceration. Regardless of their views regarding causation, scholars acknowledge that some racial and ethnic minorities are disproportionately represented in the arrest and victimization reports which are used to compile crime rate statistics.[58] There is, however, a great deal of debate regarding the causes of that disproportionality

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm assuming OP is referring to the news. in fictional media there is pretty much never a black villain. fictional bad guys are basically always white.

fictional media does have mentally ill villains fairly often. which makes sense, it's just hard to write a scenario where a perfectly sane person is committing violent crimes.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Middle aged white guys are more likely to be serial killers than anyone else.

Stereotypes exist for a reason. Even if that reason is a tiny percentage of whichever demographic .

Not use saying oh stereotypes are bad, we should hold hands and end all that...if you are not prepared to walk through the dodgiest suburbs of detroit at night

7. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Forgive me for having to respond to your remark. But I just have to ask. How do you know who is mentally ill and who isn't? On the streets, or anywhere else, for that matter?

Some mentally ill people, even those with more debilitating conditions, like schizophrenia, can reach quite a high level of competency and independence. And if they take their medicines, and keep to themselves, you may not even know.

I know why you "knew" these mentally ill "nutbags" were mentally ill. Because they were actively psychotic, or manic, as the case may be. That probably is why you thought they should be "put down" (sorry, but I am only quoting your words).

My father would be a good example of this. He was bi-polar. And when actively manic, or actively depressed, he was unable to function. But he had good insurance. So when he was sick, he got the help he needed. So people who saw him in his stable phase, didn't even know.

I'm sorry. But I just had to say... Feel free to clarify your remarks more, if you want.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/john-ehrlichman-richard-nixon-drug-war-blacks-hippie/

Actually there are conspiracies afoot against black people.

It's sickening, to me, the way people in power force this race of people into a life of poverty and crime. Then they turn around, people like the Clintons, and have the audacity to call them "superpredators". And the main stream media reports it all like they don't understand what's going on -- what's wrong with these black people that they're committing so much crime? They never comment on the real reasons why people turn to crime, because they have no other agenda than keeping the wealthy wealthy and the rest of us subjugated. And if the white people fear the blacks, and the blacks hate the whites, all the better for their agenda.

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[SIZE=14pt]Try this statistic out for size…..[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]There are fewer than 13 million firearms in circulation in Russia, compared to 300 million in the United States. That works out to about 9 guns per 100 people in Russia and closed to 100 guns per 100 people in America.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Yet the most recent homicide statistics show there were 21,603 killings in Russia vs 13,636 homicides in the united States.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]So Theoretically if there were no black people in America it’s streets would run red with blood[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Hotwater[/SIZE]

10. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

OP observations have not been my experience. I find american news is pretty much unwatchable lately because of election politics, but when I think of violent crimes I don't think black people. It seems like young white men are always doing the killing sprees. I figure any murderer is probably mentally ill no matter their skin color. It's kind of funny how the OP is worded like black people can't be mentally ill. "He's violent so he's EITHER mentally ill or black", LOL.