Beer Budget?

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Bud D, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Bud D

Bud D Member

Do you have an alcohol budget?

I used to spend way too much. I'm trying to keep it at $10 a week plus left over grocery money. Friday I bought Grocery's and used a bit of the beer money on extra food (obviously not much extra).

Last month I got into some savings for extra booze. About $38 extra. $10 a week, maybe $18 a week isn't much. I can buy 24 ounce cans for $.99 plus tax and tip. PBR is a bit more, depends on where I go. I get sick of cheap beer sooner or later. Sometimes I want a 6 pack of beer that is about $11 out the door. Or even a bottle of 80 proof.

Sucks to live on a budget but it keeps me from drinking too much. I have a dog and I worry about not having money for his future needs. I just spent about $200 on him. He needed food, a new bone, toothpaste, dookie bags and treats. I've asked him to buy me beer but he says he cannot get a job :-(

I live on a fixed income. $700 for rent, $30 a week on food and household items, $40 for tobacco (rarely spend all $40), $10 a week for beer or lotto (which the lotto isn't really worth shit!), $35 for internet, then the rest goes towards my dog and savings. Sometimes I touch the savings for booze. I'd feel a lot worse getting into savings for the lotto, because that dirty bitch rarely pays!

2. Bud D

Bud D Member

I also have medical bills. 2x a year for the doctor and about $8 a month for meds. The doctor bill is nearly $70. I can see why people want a buzz from their doctor. It's taking up good beer money!!!

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I don't drink booze...

4. Bud D

Bud D Member

and why not?

Don't get me wrong, there are many other plants I'd rather ingest. Haven't toked in years and that doesn't seem to be going to change.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm waiting for that change. Not going to turn to alcohol because it's not here yet.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

beer bill is like 50/70$ a week, like a 1/4 some bud..

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't buy beer too often, but when I do, I try some new craft brew. Usually a 6 pack of something. So, between 8.99-13.99 a month?

2 people like this.
  8. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I happen to like booze myself. The only kind I don't care for is gin. I learned a trick back in the 90s for making good booze out of cheap booze. Get a water filter pitcher, like a Brita. Pour a bottle of cheap booze into it, filter it back into the bottle. Have a taste. This filter should only be used for distilled spirits. Not for beer, wine or liqueurs, only distilled spirits like vodka, rum, scotch, bourbon.

You should spend your lotto money on remedial math classes and more booze. Lotteries are a scam. Glad to hear you treat your dog well.

If you're patient, you can save a fuckload of money by making your own wine. You can use grocery store grape juice and wine yeast. Or learn to make beer. The thing is to have a batch in rotation constantly so that you're always a week or so away from the next! I used to make wine in the summer and then freeze it to make cold-extraction brandy in the winter.

Distilling is also very easy. I've been looking at table top distiller lately.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyStill-Original-table-Distiller-Water/dp/B009QYHWAW

http://www.homebrewing.org/product.asp?itemid=1541&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CKzPmJuz8csCFUc2gQodJCYGTA

9. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I rarely drink at all anymore. I just don't care much for the effects I guess, plus the fact that it hampers the immune system.

When I do drink though, as far as beer is concerned... if I can't afford good beer, then it's not worth drinking in the first place.

Things that helped form my decision: Family history. Family history. Headache, nausea, the need to eat in order to sober up (which usually includes cooking. I don't want to cook when I'm drunk!), possible hangover (includes separate headache and overall blah). There's more there, but that's enough to make my decision.

I fancy a good amaretto sour every now and then or citrus infused beer. Hefeweisen is one of my favorites, though it usually constitutes a low alcohol percentage. Oh! Can't forget to mention my soon to be famous Russian Qualudes :D

I've got all my buddies hooked :unsure:

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I work nights, so I usually only drink 1-2 nights a week, which are my nights off. However, when I go out with my girlfriend, it's not uncommon to rack up $40-50 in drinks alone. She doesn't drink much, and she only drinks wine, so much of the tab is from me, as a craft beer will run about $5-7 apiece at most places.

11. Bud D

Bud D Member

I thought about buying some gin last night. Money is a problem! I played around with growing weed years ago because good weed is expensive. It is also bullshit to find a good consistant source. But I spent more on growing than I ever got out of it. There weren't many fem seeds, so searching for a mum is a big deal. I had a cute little 250 watt hydro system called the lil sprout Jr. I wish I still had that, I would try to see if a black dog phytomax 200 would fit in it. They didn't even have grow tents when I started and the lil sprout was far from light tight, had to put a blanket over the closet. It fit back in a section of the closet perfectly, surrounded by walls on 3 sides.

I might bre beer someday, just can't morally spend the cash right now. Experimented with growing morels at one point but it was summer and temps were too warm for sclerotia formation. I'd plant the sclerotia.

All my dreams cost money and/or are illegal. I wish the lotto would come thru but I cannot spend money on that anymore.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I buy a 6 or 12 pack of craft beer for the week every week when i go grocery shopping so i just factor it into my grocery budget.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't really have a budget for anything. i spend less than i make without really having to think about it, so i see no reason to worry about it.