Vodun/santeria/candomble/yoruba

Discussion in 'Cults' started by TheSamantha, Mar 22, 2016.

1. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

@aeri..nice of you to enter this thread..to answer your question i think that the Dominican Republic is mainly Roman Catholic...
    perhaps 3/4 of the population,the rest Protestants like Pentecostal,Adventists,and so on...

since the island HIspaniola is cut into 2 countries=Haiti and Dominican Republic...
    there is an influence from Haitin Vodun..I heard they call it brujeria or something..I am not sure..
    brujeria is i think hoodoo which is more like mojo stuff,protective amulets like the grigris from Africa

maybe this link will answer your questions,aeri

Difference Between Hoodoo and Voodoo
    • Categorized under Culture | Difference Between Hoodoo and Voodoo

[​IMG]
    Hoodoo vs Voodoo
    Hoodoo and voodoo may sound the same, but the terms are related opposites.
    Both hoodoo and voodoo are widely practiced and both share similar elements and roots in Africa. Voodoo and hoodoo are also both products of mixed beliefs that include pagan traditions, ancient worship, and elements of European religions.
    However, the main difference between hoodoo and voodoo is that the latter is actually an existing religion practiced by people while the former is considered folk magic.
    In this contrast, voodoo as a religion is clearly an institution which has organization and has established practices like religious representatives or leaders, teachings, and religious services or rituals. Hoodoo, as a folk magic, lacks this foundation and organization.
    Voodoo, as a religion, invokes the power of the loas in the African gods and deities. However, hoodoo practitioners invoke the loas by using Catholic saints. In this comparison, voodoo is practiced by non-Roman Catholics while the hoodoo’s practitioners are often Roman Catholics who use both the African concept of gods and the religious saints of Catholicism. Hoodoo practitioners are also followers of spiritualism. The specific term ascribed to a voodoo practitioner is a Vodouisant while hoodoo practitioners are often referred to and called rootdoctors or healers.
    A hoodoo practitioner often sees hoodoo as a sort of personal power that can help oneself or people by their knowledge of herbs, minerals, animal parts, bodily fluids, or possessions. The magic can be used based on one’s inclinations, desires, interests, and habits. Hoodoo and its practitioners empower themselves by accessing the gods and other supernatural forces in order to bring improvement or decline in a person’ life. With this variety of knowledge and power, a practitioner can help a person in all aspects of life that may include luck, love, evil, and restraining enemies.
    Voodoo is the “original religion” while hoodoo is the result of religious persecution and suppression. Hoodoo developed by adopting and blending some foreign beliefs and religion to hide its African origins which were considered pagan and unacceptable in the largely dominated Christian society.

Aside from being a religion, voodoo is also a culture and a way of life. Hoodoo often specializes only in magic powers and the benefits that the magic can bring. Hoodoo can also be practiced as a hobby, an economic income, or a charity act.
    There is also a difference in the places of influence of both voodoo and hoodoo. Voodoo is popular and thrives in former French colonies like Mississippi and Louisiana while hoodoo is more poplar in the Southern part of America. Also, hoodoo was brought by African slaves into the New World while voodoo came via Haiti (Haiti was a former French colony). In this picture, voodoo, though more “pure” and more ancient, came indirectly compared to hoodoo.
    Voodoo encompasses a lot of fields in society like culture, philosophy, art and music, heritage, language, medicine, justice, spirituality, and power. Hoodoo is just a fraction of all these. Hoodoo is also more focused on the power and spiritual side than anything else.
    Summary:
    1.Voodoo is a religion while hoodoo is traditional folk magic.
    2.As an established religion, voodoo has organization and a system that hoodoo lacks.
    3.Followers of voodoo are not affiliated with other religions, but hoodoo is practiced by Roman Catholics.
    4.Voodoo came indirectly by way of Haiti whereas hoodoo came directly from Africa.
    5.Voodoo can be considered as the “main belief” while hoodoo can be considered as a denomination of voodoo.
    6.A voodoo practitioner can be called such but can also be referred to as Vodouisants. Hoodoo practitioners, on the other hand, are called root doctors and healers.

Share this:

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes. They have many superstitious beliefs.

3. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wish I knew more about my granddaughter's great grandmother on the other side of their family. All I know is that she was a black woman and lived in the Dominican Republic.

I don't even know that much about her daughter, my granddaughter's grandmother. She died before I met her. I know, from some of what my daughter-in-law has told me, that she probably practiced Hoodoo.

I'm just curious if her mother taught her Voodoo.

2 people like this.
  5. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

i told you all Africa holds its mysteries..so does a voodoo ritual..a possession,a cleansing,an initiation..
    now..this you tube is almost unbelieveable...and i think National Geographic is not gonna make up a story for sensation on the internet...
    voodoo beliefs in Africa are alive...and here you can see its healing force in a positive way..
    I have no clue if it is used in a negative way..I HOPE not..
    that would go totally go against the real sense of Voodoo practices..
    Voodoo priests are healers...they got power...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUHDNK24ug&gl=BE

1 person likes this.
  6. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

hey peeps...since 1974 when i made a 4 months trip through West Africa i have developped an interest in anything African...[​IMG]
    i believe Africa got one of the richest ancient cultures in this world...its people are generous,friendly if you show them you respect their being..
    about Vodun..I reckon this thread is one of the best threads ever posted on the internet to get into voodooism,..to learn what it is...to grasp the true essence..
    i believe all that gossip that Voodoo is evil,bad etc...is plain bullshit...of course it comes over bit weird to us Westerners...[​IMG]
    for African folks in countries like Benin,Togo,Ghana,Nigeria etc..it's common practice..it's a religion..
    i like to thank The Samantha for opening this thread..i'll do my best to say my 2 cents...
    i got a facebook friend from Brazil who lives in Belgium,actually in my own province..I know her from psy trance gigs..
    i asked her about candomblé...she said it's a religion and that lots of Brazilians are sceptic or even afraid of it?
    now..this link...

http://listverse.com/2013/12/11/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-voodoo/

7. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I have read some on Dominican beliefs, but I have always been more interested in Haitian Voodoo.
    Have forgotten some of this, would like to read more on it but since my girl and I are staying with our folks (for now) I've got to be careful. Lol.
    Old Tiger covered that subject very well.
    I don't know why, but I have always had a fascination with Haitian Culture. (Past life?) I dunno.

2 people like this.
  8. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

their creed is personal power - their goal is to develop a peristyle - a personal circle of followers - they supplicate the loa and all the loa take blood offerings except for a form of erzulie - love goddess - you will be making blood offerings - you will have to apprentice for a number of years - you will be a slave to another peristyle until you break off

it's pretty much mostly bad karma

1 person likes this.
  9. magickman

[SIZE=14pt]I know this is a bit off-topic here, but I’ve always wondered…the man on the left side of the album cover of Rush- “Hemispheres”…is that Baron Samedi?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]He is known in Haitian voodoo as the Loa (Lwa) of death and fertility.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]Known for his disruption, obscenity, debauchery, and has a thing for tobacco and rum.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=14pt]I’ve always noticed the other man on the cover (the naked one) shows up on other Rush albums, usually looks like a Magician, often projecting his hands, and in his presence is generally a red Pentagram. But not on this one.[/SIZE]

10. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Vodun is interesting but based on what Chodpa said, it sounds pretty corrupt. It's about power (though arguably, so is Christianity and Islam), power over others. I knew from a lunch with an Afro-Brazilian girl that it causes a stark loss of freedom.

11. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

@chodpa....do you mean human blood?i doubt it strongly..it could be in Haiti...but proably not in Benin or Africa...
    it will be animal sacrifices....not human blood..that would go totally the bad and evil way..I do not believe it...
    and that's not the true spirit of Vodun beliefs...

12. magickman

I've always heard stories about chickens being the sacrifice in Haiti.
    David Lee Roth talks in his book about a Club Med that stars and musicians used to hang out in, on the north part of the island. Don't think it's been there for a long time now.
    But he said in the book that he and someone else ventured into the countryside and saw "a lot of things". He said he will never look at eating chicken the same way again after that.

1 person likes this.
  13. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

no i didn't mean human blood - just all loa take animal sacrifice
    it's too late in the day for such decimation of biodiversity - such deities are dying
    look at haiti and tell me voudoun works