Women Shaking Hands.

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Bilby, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I am only going by my own recollections, but it would seem to me that women shaking hands is generally something that happens that happens these days in business or after some sort of game such as tennis or pool but not at all in the old days. Maybe it was a about a symbol of equality.Comments?

mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I hate shaking women’s hands because they always give you the limp-wrist or half-hand as if it’s a struggle instead of giving you a good firm handshake

Hotwater

3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Try Shaking A Lesbian's Hand.........I Did A Few Weeks Ago........My Hand Is Still In Plaster....... [​IMG]

Cheers Glen..

1 person likes this.
  4. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If I'm being introduced to a guy and they offer a handshake, I will gladly shake hands but thinking about it women don't seem to be into shaking hands with each other on first meeting. I might start to offer a handshake when meeting other women and see how that is received.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Now That I Think About It I Don't Think I Have Ever Seen Two Women Shake Hands..... :unsure:

Cheers Glen.

6. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Ladies were shaking hands where I grew up, when I was growing up, so it's nothing out of the ordinary to me. I was always taught that a guy can initiate a handshake with a guy any time, however a guy doesn't extend his hand to shake unless they lady initiates the handshake.

Edit: a conversation outside of this thread made me realize that my post wasn't exactly stating what I was thinking...

Women shook hands with men where I grew up. I don't think women offered each other a handshake unless they just shook the hand of the other woman's male companion.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I shook another woman's hand in a business setting just yesterday. Kind of an odd thing to do, if you think of it.

8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No. I may have shook some female's hand once upon a time to avoid any hugs at the time, and I did not like it....so I don't do it.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If I recall correctly the Freaks of the good old daze never shook hands either. And none of that stupid "high five" jock stuff either.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bilby

Maybe it was something to do with women becoming equal with men in the 1970s like women started going topless on the beach during the 1970s?

11. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think men in the olden days, took the woman's hand, and either bowed to them, or kissed her knuckle!

12. Bilby

Only to kiss the knuckle of a married woman.To do so on a spinster was bad form.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, women totally don't shake hands anymore. these days, whenever i meet a woman in a business setting, the first thing i do is shake her moose knuckle.

1 person likes this.
  14. morrow

morrow Visitor

15. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Lofl!
    I had to look up moose knuckle.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I hate shaking hands with men; I have arthritis in my hands, and insecure men feel the need to literally crush your hand to demonstrate just how manly and dominant they are. I've literally been injured shaking hands. Especially now in this time of plague, I greatly prefer to gassho and bow.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You do realize this thread is 4 1/2 years old, right?

btw I haven't changed my opinion.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

This way, I keep my cooties to myself.
    13344626_10154138255793467_4572803589553920710_n.jpg

Attached Files:

mysticblu21 likes this.
  19. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

I don't doubt you at all but this sounds weird. A person's marital status, or availability for courting or marriage, or anything like that shouldn't play into how you greet a woman. But I know society is messed up to an extent and hangups make for neurotic behavior.
    And what does a man say about an older single woman by greeting her in the spinster way? Telling someone they are destined to be single and never find intimate companionship is as good as telling them to go fuck themselves, no matter the gender.

Piobaire likes this.
  20. Bilby

Yes it is dated etiquette. The last time I did so would have been 1980.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020