Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Why would you leave?

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The pound is at it's lowest since 1985.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Have You Ever Been To Cuba ?

1 person likes this.
  4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I hugged my child this morning she’s the one this decision is going to effect the most.

Because while this is going to have short term effects it’s the long term effects these will have that are the ones I worry about the most, the next ten, twenty, thirty years.

Not that the short term prospects are looking good, we’ve already had the pound plummet. The things is that can be a great stimulus to manufacture for export (are goods are cheaper to buy abroad) but the problem is that are manufacturing base has shrunk to an extent that we not in great position to take advantage of the situation. In many areas there isn’t the possibility of buying British so if we want those things we are going have to buy imports that are now going to be more expensive.

It will also make it more expensive for the government to borrow money on the market and there are warnings that the UK will lose its Triple AAA credit rating which will make that even worse.

Now if I was Scotland I’d be going ‘we didn’t want to leave keep us’ and be going for independence right away, this having completely changed the situation since the last independence vote. And I think this time they would leave bring about more economic problems.

Clause 50 allows the UK two years to negotiate the terms of the exit from the EU (it can be extended). That is going to be a period of economic uncertainty that is likely to trigger a slowdown in investment as firms await the outcome, which is likely to have an effect on the job market. More strain on the economy.

And those negotiations are going to be tough the EU isn’t owning us any favours and we have just thrown away one of the sweetest deal that existed in the EU all the concessions we had negotiated over t years are all gone. [edit] And all that brexit stuff about we been 'Great Britain' and those foriegners will be jolly glad to have us was a myth.

On immigration the EU is going to demand the same free movement as we have for EU citizens as the price to pay for access to the Common Market, which they know is vital to our economy so the reason why many people seem to have voted out is unlikely to change.

And while that is going on we will be having to negotiate other trade deals with non EU countries and they don’t come quick.

So short term 2-5 years we are likely to have economic instability and that’s going to have a knock on effect on the long term many companies might think it is better to move to somewhere more stable and inside the EU so they can trade there without uncertainty.

The thing is that I think neoliberal governments (if Scotland goes England movers to the right) will react to that by first doing nothing (letting the market decide) and then by trying to attract companies by offering perks which usually involve tax cuts especially with the financial services sector (if we go by past experience). And we all know that can have a detrimental effect on public services and infrastructure spending.

My fear is that we would end up as a corrupt neoliberal tax haven with increased inequality, a declining middle class and more exploitation.

I’ve turned off the radio its all too depressing

1 person likes this.
  5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think it's a dead cert that the Scots will want another referendum and end up leaving the UK. There will be further turmoil in Northern Ireland too.

Looks like the little englanders have got their wish. I doubt the jubilation will last very long. Probably we'll sink into a new round of recession, so all the misery of austerity will have been for nothing. Whoever takes over from Cameron will probably be much further to the right.

A shitty morning indeed.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Nicola Sturgeon has just announced a new Scottish referendum will happen. So this will be the end of Britain.

7. morrow

morrow Visitor

Are you making a comparison of UK people who save all their lives, buy or at least pay long term let's, so putting into the Spanish economy.
    To ever increasing Europeans that arrive with nothing..? Take the jobs, the benefits, turn areas into squalor send the money back to family, and boost their own economy? Are you?

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

Have you not noticed the divide happened a long time ago..
    Scotland has its own rules, as does Wales..where have you been?

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Hi Bill

Its is a bad day and i'm going to end it by crying into a pint - i just wish Hackney (Remain: 78.5%) could get independence.

yours

Balbus

1 person likes this.
  10. morrow

morrow Visitor

We can be Great Britain again! But not under Conservative rule, as they are the franchise government, the lease men..they are not workers, we will be independent, rich and honourable once again..

Great Britain...just wait till the reverse happens,. I fear not!

For the rail workers that lost their lives developing railroads, then around the world
    For the ship industry, once the flagship of the seas
    For the steel industry, a world industry that was envied throughout
    For the cotton industry, worked for by children!

All gone from this country, fear not for your children, but weep for those children that had no education, but worked for their country, to make it Great!

1 person likes this.
  11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

They're taking our jobs!!!!
    Jesus Christ, people are just trying to make a living...

What a digusting comment.

Yeah, they arrive with nothing. Because they're fucking poor!
    Stay in your bubble. Your fancy Kingdom is bound to collapse anyways.

1 person likes this.
  12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

So it's the immigrants, the Turks and the Europeans that arrive with nothing that you seem to have a problem with.
    So who do you not have a problem with?

13. morrow

morrow Visitor

The jobs I said dear, not ours! Do you live in the UK?
    I thought not!

14. morrow

morrow Visitor

Do you think it's just a problem I have? You need to read or watch the news dear, don't talk what you don't live with..as you just don't know what it's like

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mo

[SIZE=12pt]Well dear I do live in the UK and I don’t understand what you mean? Can you explain? [/SIZE]

16. Chigurh

Chigurh Members

Congrats Brits. Don't party too hard. :)

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

US stock market is down 500 points in the first four minutes of trading.

18. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

It's everywhere. European markets are dow between 5 and10%.

Asian markets started tanking as soon as they opened.

I think the banks got the worst of it.

19. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

And a rebound is unlikely until the full economic impact of this change is much better understood.

I really feel bad for all my UK friends who didn't want this to happen.

1 person likes this.
  20. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I've just heard Michael Gove, the Justice Secretary and Leave campaigner (and potential replacement for David Cameron)
    spouting on about how we can now build a "new progressive, tolerant, liberal society".

Who does that **** think he is, Mother Theresa?

It reminds me of Thatcher's sickening recital of St Francis of Assisi's words when she first came to power.

We'll most likely get either Gove, May or Johnson as the new Prime Minister in October.

In other words, the Government will jump further to the Right, workers' rights, social security, the NHS,
    and environmental policies will all be trashed.

It will be a Capitalist race to the bottom.
    Public services are going to Hell in a hand basket.

1 person likes this.