Finally Taking My "spirit Journey"

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by hippyman, Feb 11, 2016.

1. hippyman

hippyman Member

I have been wanting, and needing to do this probably since high school, I just never got around to it, but I digress. Every week, it seems like I feel more and more stuck in the same old rut that I have always been in. I am getting my van overhauled right now, then after that, I'm planning to take the ultimate road trip. I am essentially just picking a direction, with no set goal but to find myself. Has anyone ever done this before?

2. Gonzeau

Gonzeau Members

Hey there friend. I thought I should share my experience since it has been a growing adventure since I made the decision.

First of all, congratulations! Deciding to find yourself is an experience you will never forget. I had the same feelings as you the past few years. I had taken mini journeys over the past three years but never a complete escape. I think the two smaller journeys were perfect at the time and I think the big one I am currently still enjoying was necessary when it happened. My first trip was going to be a festival tour and east coast adventure in my van but when my van died only a month before my trip, I had to make a big decision. I decided to take a bus, my backpack and take off for that adventure. It lasted a few months and when I felt I had achieved what I needed, I returned home in Atlanta.

The following summer, I took off on another bus from Atlanta to meet two friends living up north for a cross country trip. The length was undecided but we knew we were going to Colorado to hike, camp, explore and examine ourselves. That trip lasted the summer and again, I returned home feeling refreshed.

Fast forward to a year ago this month, I had been contemplating if my life was going to be a series of small trips to return to the same place or if I was bound for more. March 2015 I decided I needed to leave for a real escape. I had no plans as far as coming back by a certain time. If anything, I had planned to look for places to live once I finished my journey. I packed my car with all of my hiking and camping gear and took off for the west coast from Atlanta. I took my time, stopped anywhere I wanted, saw anything that looked interesting, did things I never saw myself doing. The trip saw me explore deserts, mountains, oceans, rivers, lakes, plains... you name it, I went looking for it. I slept wherever I felt at home. I ate whatever I desired. It was a moment like going back to childhood and being free to run around and play and do as you please all day with zero consequences. I actually left for this trip in April of 2015 and by July 2015, I was in Tijuana, Mexico ready to make the long drive down to Guadalajara. I had met a girl from this wonderful city along my travels and as we kept in touch and as I told her about my own journey, she thought I might be crazy enough to move to Mexico and experience something new. If you had asked me in 2013 if I was ready for that, I might have said no. Now, once I had gained the experiences my soul needed, I was more than ready. I drove three days through Mexico down to Guadalajara and here I am in March of 2016 writing to you from my home in a small town just outside the city. The things I envision for myself are always changing but the things I find truly beautiful are hard to change. I have a house with a rooftop where I sit to read and watch the town and grow my garden. I have a little balcony that looks out over the town street. I teach English here and am very happy.

So to get back to your original thought... Do it. Take that trip. You won't regret it. Years from now you'll be telling your stories from the road. What you won't be doing is wondering what would have happened if you took that trip because the biggest regret is not doing. There are worse things to happen to us in this world than to fail and return to what's comfortable. Take a chance and see what happens.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.

2 people like this.
  3. Rivehn

Rivehn Member

Same boat my friend expect it took my a few years after highschool to realize it was time to make some changes. I'm currently in the middle of really convincing myself to travel as well. It's nice even a matter of convincing myself its just doing it. So much out there to see and experience. I told myself i would do it in the next few years. Who knows maybe even find a new living location.