I Just Need To Bitch And Moan About My Dog's Illness

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Bud D, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Bud D

Bud D Member

It's nothing serious, just appears to be an urinary tract infection. Last Saturday he was screaming in pain when urinating. This happened twice so I called the closest vet which just so happens to be a multi-million 17,000 square foot new facility. They charged $60 just for the walk in, because I didn't think my dog could wait till 2:30pm. They wanted to keep him for a couple of hours and run some tests. They hand me an itemized form to sign stating that I will pay. They charged $235 for x-rays which is awfully expensive. My dog's normal vet charges $60 for x-rays. Looking back after the x-rays came back normal, the x-rays were not at all needed. His urine was put under a microscope and they found white blood cells. Normally, a culture should be grown of what's infection his urinary tract so the proper antibiotic can be prescribed. Now I'm certain I told the person at the desk of this beautiful 17,000 square foot veterinary hospital that my dog takes Famotidine. Famotidine is an anti-acid. They prescribed Simplicef, an antibiotic. They did not tell me that Simplicef is less effective with my dog's normal antacid Famotidine. The total bill was $421 and some change. I walked in with $2000 dollars and spent almost 25% of that. Four days later I find out that the antibiotic isn't going to work as well. My dog (Bud D) is still having a hard time going potty. He doesn't want to go and do his business like normal. I spend so much time and energy trying to give him plenty of opportunity to relieve himself. He holds it till he's about to explode, which doesn't seem like a normal UTI. After all this I have made an appointment with his normal vet. I'm more happy to spend money over there. I don't think I will take him back to the fancy place unless it's literally life and death and I have no damn choice.

If you read all of this thanks for letting me bitch. Just sucks to spend a lot of money I don't have and get nowhere. I can only save about $200 a month for my dog. We spend about $700 a year just for shots and food, the normal expenditures. He's 4 and has only had minor stomach problems. That's why he takes the antacid twice a day.

Wish us luck at the vets. I want my normal happy pisser back marking territory!

1 person likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sounds very frustrating indeed. Not just your doggie with his aiment (of which I'm glad to hear it's most likely a temporarily thing! :)) but also how they went about with you at that vet thing... and the money it cost of course. I would be screwed if I had to spend 200 dollars on my dog.... :( Let alone more than once....

Better take the extra miles next time and head to your regular vet right away! Take care, both Bud D's :D Patience and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

give dog some cranberry juice and plenty of water
    get well puppy

4. Bud D

Bud D Member

I read up on that and the conclusion is that the dog can never drink enough cranberry to help. They do make cranberry chews that are consistent in dosage that may help the bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall. If this becomes reoccurring I will surely add that to the daily regime.

1 person likes this.
  5. EleanorHernandez

EleanorHernandez Members