Winning

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Bilby, Feb 7, 2016.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

Children on their sports day want to win..winning top of your field after working hard, winning lotto..through life, people strive to win something, a woman, a man..the best at anything..

Winning is achieving...it's when you want it from another, that earned it more, and you steal it someway that makes it selfish in my eyes!

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

So in light of the FACT that he was exposed as a fraud, crook, tax evader and all around creep, you still consider him to be enlightened, and more so than those MeAgain mentioned?

Wow, and folks say Christians are deluding themselves.

ps. uhmmm, you do know the guy is dead, right? stop referring to him in the present tense. ;)

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

actually I feel the self-deprecating types who make all modest over winning are displaying more selfishness than a person who celebrates winning.
    not everytime, but often

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The problem with winning...

Someone had to lose.

1 person likes this.
  5. It depends on what you mean by winning. Some people have a broad definition of winning that just means "accumulating wealth at the expense of anyone and everyone". They call that winning. In their deluded heads they're in competition with the rest of the civilized world, so they're winning.

In real actual competitions where both parties are trying to "win" and have a clear definition of what winning means, I don't think it's selfish to win. I think it would be selfish not to try to win, because both parties, in most circumstances, want to play a real game.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

7. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I think winning the lottery is simply a matter of luck. I never understood the concept of luck, so I can't explain myself any more than that. I do, however think winning the lottery can promote selfishness in people, but winning the lottery, within itself... I don't think is selfish. Some people are just more better off than others. Not sure why, or how. But, that's just how it is. That's life.

8. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Which can be taken as mere propaganda levelled at him by other fundamentalist organizations disturbed by his growing popularity in the 80s. America is a very conditioned and fundamentalist society, similar to the middle east, in more ways than you think. How else do you think the likes of ignoramuses like Bush and Trump becomes the presidential nominee !

These superficial leaders actually reflect the cultural literacy of the whole nation.

Also this is not a new thing, and the likes of Krishna , Buddha and Jesus too had to handle this kind of stuff.

Krishna was vilified as a thief, womaniser, charlatan, warmongerer, cheat and liar, and still he is worshipped by millions of Hindus in temples throughout the world.

Jesus was ridiculed and accused of being a heretic, liar and fraud by his own people and arrested and tortured to death. Still you can see millions of people worshipping him and following his teachings.

And yes, I consider Lenz enlightened. And I think it would do anyone good to go through his works.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Hmmmm, so what flavor was the Kool-Aid?

only comment I have is, glad he is dead, good riddance to bad rubbish.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why does it matter that you view him as enlightened and others not? Can't people learn from him if he wasn't? Has an enlightened person impeccable communication and teaching skills or something? Better by default than an unenlightened teacher like for example the dalai lama?
    What does greatness mean to you, Ajay?

11. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The only insight I get from this statement is that conditioning and propaganda can manipulate your perception to view the good as bad and the bad as good.

As Adolf Hitler stated, " 'If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.'

12. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Definitely, one can learn from anyone. Emerson too have said the same thing.

He is one who can communicate by his very presence and silence. The phenomenon of the enlightened master cannot be understood by reading books or hearsay. You have to be in the presence of one yourself. This is because the communication is not between the minds, but between the hearts.

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

the irony is amazing......