Meet My New Family Member....

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Ashalicious, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

[​IMG]

Her name is Ursula. She is a bit worse for wear right now, but I should be able to nurse her back to health with my green thumb. I've already re-potted her, adding a bit of soil I took from one of the big planters on my balcony.

Her roots were pretty fine though, so do you think she will be able to strengthen them and root into her new home?

1 person likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Another succulent... don't over water or it will get root rot.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

ursula is a beautiful sheet of paper, but that damn plant is blocking our view of her.

2 people like this.
  4. Ashalicious

I'm a bit worried actually, because I gave her water as soon as I repotted her, only to read online that it is best to not water aloe Vera plants immediately after repotting them.

Do you think she will be okay? Should i take a hair dryer to the soil and try and dry it out a bit?

5. Tyrsonswood

Just make sure it's got good drainage and natural airflow... I wouldn't force dry it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ashalicious

She seems to be doing okay, I am still a bit worried though....

Patrick, on the other hand, has never been better, and still no sign of the white mould!

7. cactusmann

cactusmann Member

They love the outdoor sunlight in the summer.I grow them outside in south florida .They grow so quickly down here I have to cut them back every so often or they get to big and spread out.They produce beautiful white flowers every spring.My clumps can grow over 6 feet wide with dozens of plants here in a few years just from one little plant watered and fertilized.The inner gel is very healthy to eat .Dont eat the green outer leaf.The inner clear gel should be removed from cut leaf and rinsed under water to make sure there is no green left .Take that gel and mix it would orange juice in a blender.It tastes so good that way.It is popular in the caribbean to use it that way.You will first have to grow a large one and that might be alot harder to do if you dont live in hot climate

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

are you going to eat it?

i see big stalks of aloe sometimes at walmart...i love aloe drinks but never tried the actual big chunks of plant yet

im assuming thats aloe

9. Ashalicious

Yes, it is aloe. No, I wasn't planning on eating her.

She actually isn't doing well right now. Her stocks are so waterlogged and droopy, and look nothing like I would think they should. I'm terribly worried. I don't know if I the soil I re-potted her in, was actually the best choice. It probably didn't help that I watered her after shortly after re-potting as well.

10. Tyrsonswood

That's not the pot with no drainage is it?

11. Chana_Jeneva

Chana_Jeneva Members

I hope your plant grows healthier each day! Haven't grown aloe, but it's very, needy, I hear (can't think of another word to use)

12. rainbowdave

rainbowdave Member

Dont overwater them..In the winter they don't need hardly any water.Let it dry out between waterings.You only need to water it more during spring summer and early fall.Add some sand sand to soil if you repot them again and keep it near a bright sunny window.

13. rainbowdave

rainbowdave Member

Let the plant dry out between waterings.If the soil is kept constantly moist and is never given time to dry out especially in winter it will rot.Aloes are beautiful plantsWish you luck with it!!!!!

14. Ashalicious

Ursula died. RIP, Ursula.

15. Tyrsonswood

Sorry to hear that...

16. Ashalicious

Thanks. I was really hoping she'd grow big and strong.

17. Tyrsonswood

How's the Jade doing? or shouldn't I ask...

18. Ashalicious

Patrick? He's doing amazing, better than ever, and no sign of the white mould since I reported him. My other two jade plants, Shelton and Verte, are also doing really well. All jade plants are happy and healthy.

Thank you for asking :)

19. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Heyyy, aloe vera is handy to have. Looks nice and green. Bit of damage here and there, but still looking healthy.

My brother broke into my house a month ago and stole my aloe vera plant, but he replaced it with a full mahogany (maybe cherry wood?) dining table and chairs. I should take a picture of it. The color is very nice.

Fair trade, I think.

20. Ashalicious

This plant died months ago, and I was very sad about it.

May Ursula rest in peace.