Do You Believe In Free Will?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by TheSamantha, Jan 17, 2016.

1. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

When put upon by two equal and competing mysterious causes , you might be rendered exactly motion-less . But then , just to
    feel alive you surrender to one by making a random , unknowable choice with an unknown but not unknowable consequence .
    Whatever the choice , it brings knowing something in a flash .

1 person likes this.
  2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I think that an argument could be made that pre-determinism and free will can coexist. It would depend on if you believe that an omniscient creator knows all of the potential outcomes of its creation. Knows all the choices before they’re made. At the same time, an individual can still make choices because he/she would still have the ability to make choices. I believe in God, so I lean in believing that the two could coexist. But if I didn’t believe, I could still choose to think that the universe had a cause and we all have a purpose. That’s not a popular stance though if you believe the universe to have no original “cause.”

3. niteryder

niteryder Members

I can freely will to jump off a cliff, but I can't freely will to fly. So, we do have free will, but it's limited.