When And Where Should I Get New Hiking Boots

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by ezm8, Nov 26, 2015.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I'd like to get a new pair of light hikers, though just walking shoes might be ok too.

My last pair was from LL Bean, but they just fell apart pretty quickly.

I'd like to get either something that will last for a while, or something that is cheap enough that I won't mind have to buy a new pair again soon.

I've been thinking about going to either a New Balance store/outlet, LL Bean, or the Ubiquitous Retail Giant.

I don't like the idea of having to deal with a lot of season-of-shopping madness, but I might be able to tolerate a little for the right pair of boots.

Any thoughts?

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Online's always cheaper. Just be prepared to send the first pair back, in case they aren't your size.

2 people like this.
  3. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

I use cross trainer tennis shoes for day hikes. I like Nike best, but I have a few other kinds too. For long hikes I like my Danner radical 452 hikers from Cabela's. Much better on the toes when going down hill.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. newbie-one

Where online?

6. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I like the brand columbia for hiking boots. The don't nesscesarily look that cool imo but they work, and are durable. I've hiked for years with them and through snow, mud, rocky terrain, water, you name it, and they're still looking strong.

They're sold at any major camping retailer, the big ones here are REI, Christy Sports, and Dick's Sporting Goods

They're not cheap, but I knew for me it'd be pretty much a lifetime investment which is why i was okay paying a hundred bucks for a pair

2 people like this.
  7. expanse

You can also get some serious boots at a military surplus store.

And be careful running on unpaved trails if you get cross trainers. You can easily turn an ankle if you aren't used to running on uneven terrain.

1 person likes this.
  8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I looked at the website for Dick's Sporting Goods and of what they had I liked the boots by Timberland more than any of the others. I like them because they look really very durable. You'd probably never have to buy another pair; which is a good thing, because they cost a bit more than the other boots. Good luck! Find a pair for Black Friday!

2 people like this.
  9. expanse

I've never worn Timberland while hiking, but I used to have a couple pair that I wore casually, years ago. I do know they are very comfortable.

10. Gongshaman

Amazon, where else? LOL Naw, actually if you kinda know what brand, I would try to find a place like this, with a great return policy and free shipping both ways. Vasque boots are pretty killer stuff, but just looking myself, I was disappointing to not find a classic full lug soled hiker.

These freaking boots last forever if you take care of them, and can be re-soled.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. newbie-one

I may do something slightly crappy like figure out the brand, fit and model at a retailer, but then buy online.

I guess I could actually buy at the retailer if their price is competitive.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I think it'll be pretty hard to find boots like those nowadays. I used to have a pair or two like them, are the soles screwed on?

Try Campmor for online stuff. They have boots from $50.00 to $300 a pair, I don't know how they compare to everyone else price wise but they used to be very competitive back when I would get their catalog in the mail.

They have a store in New Jersey that I've been to. I've bought tents, sleeping bags, frame backpacks, and other stuff by mail in the old days. They used to have a discontinued or bargain section also.

Here's the deals page.

nudistguyny and newbie-one like this.
  13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

BTW, I've had Timberline and Columbia boots among others, no problem with either.

Right now I have a pair of medium weight Columbias I found at a Good Will type store. I've used them on a twenty mile hike on one PA rocky section of the AT with a 25 or so pound backpack and on the PAs Black Forest trail with no problem.

14. Gongshaman

Yep.

I actually was recently given a pair of American made, all leather non-steel toed logger/ lineman boots, virtually new and in exactly my size. A friend of mine bought them for her son, who wore them only once. Full welt sewn-on sole, these things are rugged as hell! I'm just not fond of the style and heel lift. I wouldn't want to hike in them but they can't be beat for heavy outdoor work.

[​IMG]

15. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

LL Bean has pissed me off on a few things. I left a pair of their boots on a Caribbean island so I could buy more duty free shit after the boots started to unravel. I'm not too happy with my Bean parka either, but that's another issue.

I decided to go with "disposable" hiking boots made by HI-TEC. They cost about 1/3 of what the Bean boots cost me and even though I have soaked them a couple of times, they have held together. Wearing thick wool socks helps, even in the summer.

1 person likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hanwag boots. Get 'em made properly, get 'em made German. ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

First of all, hiking boots are not fashion.

I have a pair of Merrels that are pretty good. They have held up but seem to be falling apart slowly. I wear them for disc so they take full on abuse.

1 person likes this.
  18. newbie-one

I put this off since I didn't really have any need for hiking boots in the winter.

I think that I may get a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator's at REI. Seems to be well reviewed, and it looks like REI has the same price ($100) as on-line vendors.

btw...Zappos appears to have been absorbed into the amazon empire , as there is now a link from the amazon page to zappos

I'm dismayed by how much a decent pair of boots/shoes costs these days, but if the new ones I get last at least five years, it's a better deal than paying $30 for a pair that blow out in a year.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

With gear like this I highly recommend paying for good value especially if you're going to be using them quite a bit.

I always go for comfort first. Sore feet and back aren't fun. I've had my boots for years now and also looking at a new pair, only because they're starting to smell when I sweat in them. Other than that they are still fine. Few marks, a gash here and there, soles at the heels are worn down but still very comfortable. Only problem is they don't breathe.

Kicked many pallets across the earth with them. :D I love a good boot. :)

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter