Suggestions

Discussion in 'Jazz' started by jet_lag, Nov 26, 2015.

1. jet_lag

jet_lag Members

Hi there, so i recently got into jazz music, and i was just wondering maybe someone could suggest some great jazz artists, like not the most popular ones cause them you can just find online easily, but some really good but not so recognized.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Steve Earle just released a album earlier this year. He's renowned for his alternative country story telling but this new album was his first attempt at a jazz record. It also went down quite well in both country and the Jazz community. I liked it. :)

Steve Earle - Terraplane

http://youtu.be/UeaOZl9Syzw

3. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

al dimeola for hard rock jazz guitar fusion and mahavishnu orchestra
    charlie mingus for classic jazz from the basis perspective - more rhythmic
    bob moses for the drummer's perspective 'when elephants dream of music' is a good one - good luck finding it
    andy narell - steel pan player - beautiful compositions
    ornette coleman - shape of jazz to come is a must
    lizz fields - by day by night - vocals to die for
    miles davis - bitches brew has a haunting vamp which breaks ground by being persistent throughout the entire piece

4. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

i forgot - bowie is releasing his first jazz album jan 8th called blackstar - said to be as groundbreaking for him as the low lp

5. naturegirl1

naturegirl1 Member

Husband says Eliane Elias, not so much for her singing but she is arguably the greatest pianist around these days. Listen to Tangerine, Baubles Bangles and Beads and most interestingly her rendition of Bob Marley's Jammin. Then there is her Solos & Duets album with Herbie Hancock, according to hubby that is in a class of it's own.

6. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

Etta James and Ella Fitzgerald have the best voices on a woman I can think of.

John Coltrane and Fats Waller.

Thelonius Monk is probably the best known if you haven't all ready heard him

Try Gospel too. Mahalia Jackson is my favorite.