What Is The Purpose Of Helping Others?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by TheSamantha, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Eerily

Eerily Members

"At times." Those would be the only times.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

well, quite frankly, I did not want to seem like I was complaining, because I wasn't...i did what i had to do, and I cannot imagine my part being any different than it was.......so i understand what you asked....i still bend over backwards to help where I can....

and helping animals survive is always a joy to me...always has been....

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Not being a **** is really the best thing anyone can do for this world

1 person likes this.
  4. I personally question whether humanity has an ultimate purpose. Like, are we in some kind of harmony with the universe that our existence will add to all of existence in some way. Or are we truly cut off from everything, or at least cut off from everything in the end when our universe dies and no trace of it exists. People say we make up our own purpose, that we can grant ourselves purpose, but I don't know what gives a human being that authority. Perhaps we are all zombies and it matters not one inkling if we progress or live or die.

I tend to think we are purposeful, that somehow we are a part of this whole thing functioning, though. And helping just seems to be instinctual, so I just assume it's a part of a grander scheme of how things ought to be.

5. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

As I understand it, the definition of purpose is an "intentional stance".

So I think you're asking what our intentions are when we are helping people.

Its sort of a question without context because I help people for all types of reasons. Sometimes its to rub elbows or get laid. Most of the time its because I have bills to pay.

At its core, I believe its because social intercourse is biologically advantageous.

As a matter of fact, (and I hate being the "scientific truth guy") it is scientifically demonstrable.

6. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

So it's about you?

1 person likes this.
  7. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

So what?

8. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

??

9. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Shale, that was a beautiful story! You have lived a full life, true to hippie form.

Not to be obnoxious but I will play devil's advocate just to cover our bases: suppose I wrote that story about alcoholism.

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That's your question to answer.

11. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Because it's pointless?

Who cares about the issues we see in the world today?

hee:)

12. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

But I'm asking others for their insight. That's why I posted it.

13. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

If that is how you feel then perhaps you are part of the problem.

Pointless is doing nothing.

14. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

1. So?
    2. What reward? And is it about you?
    3. Who is "we all"? We clearly all don't help each other otherwise there would be no starving children
    4. According to whom?

15. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

I am similar to you. I help as an extension to myself. I do not go out of my way but I react to an internal instinct that says " talk to him/her " or buy them a sandwich.

I sometimes give loose change but not so much nowadays. It bugs me as they sit, with their homeless sign asking for change: yet Face booking on their Iphone. Really? It is blatantly obvious that you could pawn your phone if times are that bad.

Help is a need by need basis. I do not deliberately go out of my way.

One question though. I consider myself spiritual; meaning, I care and have faith in us as a whole human species; I love people. We are quite intriguing. So I have a guilt by not helping everyone. Currently I am studying Behavior science and Counselling, I think to save humanity we need to start with the youth and awaken young minds to life as a whole.

Back to my question; does Spirituality or any belief (religious or non) for that matter, affect the way we view and engage in generosity towards others? Does that affect the amount of generosity we give?

*Generosity = our time, money etc

16. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

This is a philosophical question. I'm not talking about myself. I help people all the time. I volunteer at a non-profit helping low-income immigrants find housing. I'm asking this question in the agnostic and atheist section for a reason. Our morality isn't codified anywhere.

I think there's some sexism at the root of me asking people (not necessarily you) this question and having them think I'm being cynical or trying to justify selfishness, as if women are emotional. Next they'll be taking me to some soup kitchen to patronize me instead of just using their freakin' thinking caps.

/rant

Okay, let's keep it fun :)

1 person likes this.
  17. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

in order to receive help when you are in a situation where you need it. helping others instills in us a feeling of mutual reciprocity. when a person receives help unconditionally he might pass it on when the opportunity presents itself.

or, when it is helping someone who is sexually attractive to you, then it's in order to get laid.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the point is that no one has infallible fortune, however wise or careful they might otherwise be. and that we might want to live in a world, that at least most people are at least considerate of each other most of the time.

1 person likes this.
  19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

1. We are all finding our way through life, when you realize that you are no better than anyone else, that we are all the same, that others may be struggling more than you are through no fault of their own, you develop empathy. You discover that the next person is only a different aspect of yourself.
    2-3-4. The reward is in knowing that you are not taking, but giving.
    Is it about you? It depends on what you view as "you".

4 people like this.
  20. Shale

Shale ~

Well Said

"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find
    Peace of mind is waiting there
    And the time will come when you see we're all one
    And life flows on within you and without you"
    George Harrison