Rules Of Fashion? Is It A Thing?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Laci, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Laci

Laci Members

Let me start out by saying that I am pretty much a fashion bum. I find it super attractive when women wear sweatpants with long sleeved shirts and hoodies, that's also my outfit of preference.

I've always been kind of envious of those people who can wear ANYTHING and make it look flawless and put-together. What am I doing wrong?! I mean, there are those girls who tuck their shirt into their yoga pants at just the perfect angle, or they can find a pair of skinny jeans that end perfectly right at their ankle.

I dunno, but obviously I'm not doing something right lol.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think the girls who have those perfect skinny jeans ending right at the ankle get them tailored, and I don't have time for that lol. I have a friend who always looks perfectly put together but she has all her clothes tailored to fit her and I've watched her spend 30 minutes using a lint brush on a shirt. Her fastidiousness makes my eyes boggle.

I like to think I have a nice sense of style, but my innate sense of fashion is combined with the fact that my clothes are wrinkled more often than not and sometimes I wear the same leggings 3 days in a row so by the third day they're baggy around the knees. I just don't have time to try any harder.

1 person likes this.
  3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I am bad at fashion. Even if I knew the rules.

4. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I on the other hand am too tall so tight skinny jeans just look like I stole some little girl's pants...

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Probably, a good bit of time, effort, and money go into some people having that "I woke up like this" look.

If you look at sites like pinterest, at outfits on people, you'll start to see a pattern. Some of the looks I like and some of them I totally detest.

I'm just going to state a pet peeve right here. I do not care for boyfriend jeans with stilettos.

6. Mattekat

I think it's important to understand what shapes and styles look good on your body. It's not so much about what you can't wear or look bad in but more like if you like your legs then find things that accentuate them. But other than that I don't think there are rules people should follow.

7. Aerianne

Rules have pretty much gone out the window.

Eons ago there existed rules of fashion like when you could wear white shoes and carry straw hand bags. I'm glad those days are gone!

8. Aerianne

Have a look at "Street Style" on Pinterest.

There are lots of sub-categories.

I love looking through them.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm glad the don't wear black with brown rule went out the window. I think brown boots look cute with black leggings damnit.

I was reading the other day that the don't wear white after Labor Day rule started in the 1800s by high society old money ladies who started the rule amongst themselves but didn't tell the new money folks. It was their way of separating themselves from new money ladies.

It was a stupid rule as white is a great color for winter

10. Mattekat

I think black and brown can be super cute sometimes.

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I probably wear too much black. It's my best color, followed by red and blue.

12. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Only ladies posting???

I wear white ankle socks to go walking/hiking/gym. They are all about the same length so, they appear to match most of the time.

All of the rest of my socks are dark blue or black. The colors are so close that I'm confident that at least 80% of the time they look like a match while wearing jeans, slacks, or khakis.

Most of the time I wear a colored tshirt under my polos and button downs - even to work (I say this because I've caught hell for non-white tshirts under my outershirt).

As far as color coordinating goes, I really don't understand what that is all about.

That is a glimpse into my rules of fashion.

13. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

If somebody really wants a high fashion look and doesn't know where to start, just go to the most expensive shopping mall in your area, go in the most pretentious looking store with the most anorexic models featured in front window photo posters, the loudest electronica music, and the most obnoxious young anorexic sales clerks, and buy whatever everybody else is buying. Be prepared to max out your credit card for uncomfortable, ugly shit that will be out of style in four months.

14. Laci

Laci Members

Haha I don't really try to be high-fashion. Working on a farm, it isn't practical to wear anything except leggings, jeans, hoodies, and Carhartt jackets.

Then I see some people who always look amazing, lol. I personally can't imagine waking up and taking a half hour, even an hour, to make myself look good. I wear whatever is clean (or almost clean) and comfortable. I refuse to spend more than about $30 on jeans or $15 on a shirt, unless it's a nice sweater or something. I dunno, some people just always look put together and I'm jealous haha :)

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Laci, the high fashion stuff wouldn't last a day on a farm.
    Most of today's denim is too thin to be durable.

2 people like this.
  16. Laci

Laci Members

That's why I don't buy it and don't desire it lol. I'm more so curious if there's some sort of secret fashion code that some people know and others don't, like "Always tuck your shirt into the waistband of your yoga pants at ___ angle and fold it a certain way" or only wearing certain colors of jeans to match your skin tone lol.
    I'll take my sweatpants and Carhartt jackets any day :D

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

It changes every year.

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

A big struggle for me is staying warm in the winter. I am always cold and the heat is never high enough in public places or at the office. Women's clothes are built for practicality, more for aesthetics. Thin pants and sweaters, and bulky layers are tough to make look good, too much coordination for me.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Happily you would look good all wintry season even in a holiday sweater...

Talking about holiday sweaters:

[​IMG]

:D

edit: wooly christmas sweaters are probably one of the reasons rules of fashion came into existence

2 people like this.
  20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnuZlyWXI8