Flute Help

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by babybell, Oct 27, 2015.

1. littlelegs

littlelegs Members

For some reason I cant seem to play, F E or F# any ideas why?

2. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

have you looked at a chord/note chart, that's how i did the flute, then i would just memorize the 3-4 finger patterns i needed

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Is it that you don't know the fingering or are you just having trouble making the note(s) sound?

4. littlelegs

littlelegs Members

Struggling to get the note out I know what fingers I need but when I'm blowing into it there's either no sound, the sound is far too high pitched or it just sounds like wind

5. Gongshaman

It's really hard to diagnose stuff like this over the internet. You need to ask a live teacher that can watch and hear you play.

Provided you are doing everything correctly, the flute could need maintenance i.e. the pads are leaking. You might want to take it to a shop and have it checked out.

You are talking about a modern transverse flute, right?

1 person likes this.
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Member

I think that the first person who responded got it exactly right. Have your flute checked for leaks and/or bad pads. Chances are it is a pretty cheap fix and you should be good to go. Just for some back ground, my daughter is in her 11th year as a flautist and a sophomore in college as a flute major. I have some background in them. It really sounds like a pad leak or pad problem. Good Luck!!

7. Gongshaman

There are a few techniques you can use to evaluate and determine if your flute is playing up to its full potential:

Checking for pad leaks
    Visually inspect the pads. Look for tears or spots where the pads have worn through. Examine your flute under good lighting, possibly using a flashlight to see the pads more clearly. Tears or worn spots in the pad skin may reveal a small area of white felt showing through the pad skin. Also, inspect the pads as you lightly press the key cups down to the toneholes. Many pads have a ring on them where they contact the tonehole. This ring is dust which collects on the pad as it is repeatedly pushed against the tonehole while playing. Look for obvious dips and/or gaps between the pad and tonehole. If you are able to identify a leak by sight, it is most likely a very large leak. On professional flutes, technicians should seal leaks to a tolerance of .0005" (1/2 thousandth of one inch.). Such small leaks are impossible to identify by sight alone.
    To inspect for small leaks on your flute, perform a test consisting of a series of long tones. The low octave is especially helpful in identifying problems. Using a very light touch, press each key down slowly. If the pads are level and sealing well, the tone will fully respond just as the pad contacts the tonehole. If there is a small leak, the tone will initially produce a shallow, unfocused response just as the pad contacts the tonehole. As the pad is pressed more firmly onto the tonehole, the strength and focus of the tone will increase.

http://www.miyazawa.com/media-library/educational-articles/maintenance/is-your-flute-playing-up-to-its-potential/