Anyone Else Still Smoking Cigarettes?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Kath1, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Kath1

Kath1 Members

I'm 57. I smoked Salems when I was in high school and college. Quit for years after I got married, pregnant, etc. Started again when my marriage went to shit and I got divorced. I've quit for months at a time bur I always come back to it. I smoke Marlboro Gold pack 100s. Usually half a pack a day or less. Depends on my stress level. And I love smoking when I am out drinking alcohol. I know this is a stupid habit but I do enjoy it and some days I think it the only thing keeping me sane. Anyone else still doing it?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I roll my own...

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

American Spirit Organics.

C/S,
    Rev J

4. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I mostly just put tobacco in my weed now, but I still smoke a bunch of them every time I get drunk.

5. Tyrsonswood

Why do people put tobacco in their weed?

1 person likes this.
  6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Vaping might be a better alternative to smoking.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

vaping has not been around enough for there to be a relation to the side effects on humans ..

4 people like this.
  8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I only smoke when I drink and this is the only brand I smoke. These still make me feel shitty but way less shitty than other brands.

9. Tyrsonswood

Main ingredient in e-cigarette liquid... Anti-freeze.

1 person likes this.
  10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

My mom switched to e cigs a couple of years ago. She smoked a LOT and my siblings and I had given up hope of her ever quitting. I don't think e cigs are healthy but I do worry about her way less now, she doesn't have a smokers cough anymore and it seems like she has a lot more energy.

2 people like this.
  11. newbie-one

According to this article, the FDA says e-cigarettes are less harmful than smoking.
    http://motherboard.vice.com/ecig

It's the tar and other non-nicotine ingredients in tobacco that cause cancer, not nicotine itself. Nicotine is addictive and may cause harm to the arteries, but there is no evidence that it causes any other disease.

Also, risk of fires set by vapes is much lower than for cigarettes.

All of the evidence suggests that vaping is much better for your health than smoking. The "we need more research to understand the long term effects" line is mostly bs from the tobacco industry, which would rather kill vapes.

In principle, vaping at extremely high temperatures could cause the formation of formaldehyde, but practically speaking no one would want to vape at temps that high.

There are some sketchy-brand vape refills that contain anti-freeze, but as long as you buy from a good source, there is every reason to believe that vaping is superior.

The only real health controversy about vapes is that the candy flavors may encourage children to vape.

snowtiggernd and meridianwest like this.
  12. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Actually, there are different blends of vape juice. The levels of PG and VG are variable.

"E-liquid begins with the main base, vegetable glycerin. We (and most other manufacturers) use certified organic VG—the glycerin doesn't carry flavor very well, but does produce a lot of vapor. The next ingredient is propylene glycol—this is usually cited by alarmists as being a "main ingredient in antifreeze." This is incorrect, as they're willfully confusing it with diethylene glycol, which has actually been found in mass market e-cig products. I absolutely do not add any of that to my liquid because I do not make antifreeze.
    Propylene glycol—or PG—is a main ingredient in albuterol, or asthma inhalers, and is perfectly safe to inhale when vaporized. "http://gizmodo.com/5-facts-that-everyone-gets-wrong-about-vaping-1659938937

1 person likes this.
  13. Tyrsonswood

So, your brand doesn't but the mass marketed brands do... Okay

14. Aerianne

No.

All vape juice is made that way.

E-cigs are different than a vape system.

15. Aerianne

To answer you, Kath -

Yes, I still smoke but nearly as much as I once did thanks to vaping.

16. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I officially quit 3/16/2008 and in March 2013 I picked them back up...but very lightly, and on and off. I never went back to smoking like I did. This time I haven't smoked in 5 weeks, and I think about wanting a cigarette every day.

The only way I'm able to "stay clean" is I just keep thinking of my breathing problems/bronchitis immediately after I start smoking. I can tell you this: it wasn't this hard when I initially quit March 2008.

17. newbie-one

It took me multiple tries to quit. Every time I'd quit, I'd get some source of stress in my life, and then I'd be like "I deserve a cigarette!"

Cutting back never worked for me. I'd go to half a pack a day for a while, but then rebound to two packs. Maybe gum or something might have helped, but cold turkey turned out to be the only thing that worked.

The first three days are the hardest. Two weeks is kind of a hurdle too. Once you get past that, it gets easier.

1 person likes this.
  18. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I tried the gum once but I bought the strongest one by accident and have never been a pack a day smoker. I popped one in my mouth and suddenly got really lightheaded and thought I would puke. Not only had I got the strongest one, but I didn't read the instructions first and kept chewing, when apparently you aren't supposed to do that. That turned me off the gum.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

When i used to smoke pot, i was the only one i knew i didnt

Was fuñny seeing smokers cough their guts up when they pulled a cone no tobacco

1 person likes this.
  20. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to know a heap of people that would mix their weed with tobacco too. I actually used to smoke cigarettes but couldn't take to mixing.