Petition Against Australian Plans To Kill 2 Million Feral Cats

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Parenthesis, Oct 16, 2015.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

How short a time it took for humans to fuck up the balance of nature in Aus.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cats have every right to live a feral life. Who is to say that a feral bilby has more right to live than a feral cat? Who's to say that a feral squirrel has anymore right to live than a feral cat?

We don't have dinosaurs, or mammoths, teradactyl, or saber tooth's anymore and it was through no cause of mankind.

Lots of people dislike animals and will look for any excuse to call them nuisances.

What happened to survival of the fittest?

1 person likes this.
  3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

But bilbies are native fauna , not introduced which is what feral generally means.

4. Aerianne

I didn't realize the distinction with that word. So, wild and feral are different. Feral means formally domesticated.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's a suburb in my town where you are not allowed to have pet cats because they kill the native birds in the area.

One way I look at this is that, two million feral animals doing what feral animals do means in a short period of time you're now looking at 4-5 million feral cats. In another short amount of time that might be 10 million feral animals. Now while every animal "deserves" to live, I can't justify the hypocrisy between feral animals being allowed to live but they are not allowing the local and native wildlife to live how they live because of their (feral) actions. I cannot justify that. Who's also to say the quality of life for these feral cats is in all certainty any form of "quality" and as they prey on the native animals, how is it fair and a "quality of life" for them?"

Apples and oranges.
    Half empty or half full

If the environment cannot survive, like I said, something needs to happen. I'll always take the native animals side in this.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Sometimes they just escape like the grey squirrels that came from America and have mostly put the much prettier native red squirrels out of business in the UK.

7. Aerianne

[​IMG]

8. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Do you really not get my metaphor? I'm not literally saying e should change our ways because of aliens. :wall:

I was using aliens as a metaphor to symbolize how undeserving we would be of mercy in said hypothetical situation where we become the species who's fate lies in the hands of another.

I'm saying that if aliens wiped us out it would be LIKE (another metaphor coming) "bad karma" and we would deserve everything they do to us because of the way we have treated more primitive creatures.

1 person likes this.
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Maybe aliens would wipe us out for not protecting all the species preyed on by cats

Maybe that bad karma will come back on those that want to protect cats, because more animals are killed keeping feral cats alive

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Apparently there are some reasonable solutions and approaches that everyone can embrace.

Hotwater

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Bilby and Moonglow181 like this.
  11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That is what I am talking about, hw....reasonable, intelligent people looking for reasonable intelligent solutions, instead of knee jerk reactions to kill something because that is what is in that kinds of people's souls, win my respect every time.
    I don't even want to be in the same room with the killers. What will you do to me if I become a nuisance to you?
    You might not physically kill me but you will in other ways.

Good for this, hw, and thanks for sharing this bright spot.

12. Aerianne

See, nature is playing a role in this. The video states that the bushfires play a big role in this.

13. Aerianne

This cannot be blamed on cats. Man tampers with nature and nature suffers. Man prides himself on being a thinking animal. Well, figure this out.

"Australia is home to more than one million species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world. About 85% of the continent's flowering plants, 84% of mammals, more than 45% of birds and 89% of inshore, temperate-zone fish are endemic – that is, they are only found in Australia.
    Over the 200 years since European settlement, extensive clearing of native vegetation has removed, changed or fragmented habitats. Human activity and natural events such as fire, drought and flood continue to change Australia's ecology. Such change affects the interactions within ecological communities, and can reduce their diversity and threaten the survival of many native species.
    Since settlement, hundreds of species have become extinct in Australia, including at least 50 bird and mammal, 4 frog and more than 60 plant species. It is likely that other species have disappeared too, without our knowledge. Many other species are considered to be threatened and are listed under Australian Government legislation as endangered or vulnerable. More than 310 species of native animals and over 1180 species of native plants are at risk of disappearing forever."https://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/threatened-species-and-ecological-communities-australia

1 person likes this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Those species are endemic because of the continents isolation.

Even if there had never been any humans. As soon as the continents shifted again and a land bridge popped up, same thing would have happened, most of those species would have been wiped out

And the whole universe tends to a higher level of complexity, if it hadnt been humans, intelligent life on this planet would have evolved from something else.

Thats what nature really is, all this kind of stuff is inevitable, no matter what we do

1 person likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ummm, I didnt hear any solutions in that video, all it said at the end was that on some property once all the introduced species were removed native fauna grew 4 fold, how do you think they were removed?

Those researchers were studying feral cat movements, they were probably all for feral kitty kat mass murder

16. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Yeah I was confused when I watched that video. I thought I missed them saying the solution some how, but I watched it again and nope, there just wasn't one.

17. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

Sad, but it a matter of balance. The cats can have what....maybe up to 20 kittens per year? Can the wildlife they are eating keep up with that?

18. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

raise funds not to destroy cats but for for everyone that can adopt two cats......and get them fixed and kept inside.....if cats are too feral or viscious to ever be tamed....set up fenced in areas or sanctuaries just for them to live out their days......with food and water.....

It was never a this side or that side for me...it was trying to find ways for everything to live.

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

See, I've seen people are using these and similar figures - 20 per year...and as a life-time owner of cats, that is about the most ridiulous over-inflated number I've ever heard. lol I read somewhere that cats go into heat more often than dogs, which is another thing I haven't observed. The only thing with a cat is that they will not EVER go out of heat until they mate.

I think about the most a cat is going to yield per year, IF they all survive and thrive, is 10 to 12 per year. That is a lot, but seriously half of 20. In reality, less than that.

I do not own any reproducing cats now, btw.

We are fixed there. :)

How is it that cats are not a native thing to Australia? I thought all continents had some kind of indigenous cat. It's such a perfect environment, I can't imagine evolution wouldn't place at least a couple of cats there.

20. Aerianne

I have a cat who could not withstand the surgery to be spayed. She goes in and out of heat during warm weather.

The semi-ferals in the neighborhood have 2 litters a year, after they come of age. There are usually 3 or 4 that survive out of a litter; so I'd say Lynn is correct. Six or Eight kittens a year.

1 person likes this.
Tags: