How Do You Tune Your Drums?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by rjhangover, Oct 10, 2015.

1. notrick

notrick Members

I never said the note was printed on the shell. I said you usually find it somewhere. As for "fighting and loosening" The f was a typo it should have been "tightening and loosening" I have a problem with spelling called dyslexia--in the 60s the AMA did not recognize it as disability, now half the elementary school classes focus only on that problem, and it has expanded to hearing and several other areas. You "slamed" me for miss spelling Bass wrong. I did google Tuning drums, and read several of the post that applied to what was being said here. I didn't read yours until after. I didn't find any fault.
    I've seen everything you wrote done at one time or anouther. It's a broad topic and there many right ways to tune or not tune drums. It depends on many factors--mic ing, how you mic your drums and why...I could go on but I think I've said too much already.
    OH I got by as a drum teck because my first job was setting up the 2 very different drum sets--they had been a band since 1965 and gone around the world looking for unique percusion. I ask to assist the teck who taught me most of what I needed to know, he disappeared in winter of 78, and was found dead from herion OD in the Mission a few days latter.
    My uncle gave me a drum set, snare, 2 toms, a kick bass, and 2 symbols in 1968 before he shipped out to Vietnam. My parents offered me piano lessons if I'd stop playing drums. Best deal I ever made. I never did learn to play drums but I was told over and over how important it was have the drums tuned.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

This statement really makes it sound like you mean the note is printed on the drum. More dyslexia?

You also said if they are not in tune (to notes) it would " mess up the vocals"

So what happens if they play in a sharp key?

Am I to understand that drums are to be tuned chromatically?

Which drums get the accidentals?

3. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I wish. I do have some of those West African Grooves in there I can hit play and it's like the tape recording in Evil Dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xJUQxE9tY

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  4. notrick

notrick Members

African talking drums are very cool. You can make one but I don't know how. Probably in google somewhere.

5. notrick

notrick Members

Drums can be tuned to many ways...even chords. A mic'ed drum that is not in the key of the song can throw off the vocals. Just like harmonic singers can throw off the other singers. In a studio the vocalist always wear head phones with the parts they'er supposed to sing even if they are in an isolation booth--well that was redundant-in an an isolation booth you have no idea what to sing unless you know the song very well, and have perfect pitch.

Sorry if I upset you by saying the note, or notes a drum should be tunned to is almost always printed on a high end drum kit--maybe in a manual or pdf or on the box. I've been playing and working in the music industry since 1977 and have opened set up, and mic'ed a enough drum kits to have seen it--oddly never on the drum because there are variables to most drums just as you can tune a guitar many ways. But there is normaly a standard. Exceptions exist as you pointed out.

I'd really like to stop this. I explain one thing and you find anouther--I don't play drums but I do run a studio and have bands in here most of the time. I use a roland octapad pad that can sound like just about anything..I run it through the synth along with a guitar and compressor mic--sometimes it takes 2 of us but we make it work with looping. I really hope this is over.

6. notrick

notrick Members

Do you actualy play music or just spend your time looking for fault in others?

1 person likes this.
  7. notrick

notrick Members

8. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

This is supposed to be"HIP FORUMS", but trolls invade.

9. notrick

notrick Members

Did you find some fault in that web site. It's pretty good. I went through 10 sites and that one addressed the use of notes, and not using notes,barring rims--pretty much--everything that caused controversy. I thought it was pretty good, and 'Drummers World is a very respected organization among studios. I've never found anything wrong with what you post, for the most part informative--In fact until just now I had a lot of respect for your music and post. But the thepro just keeps raging on every post I make, over and over.
    Sorry if you think I'm a troll for posting a site I thought pretty much agreed with everyone. Did you read it?
    I'd like to end this thing with theprou. It helps no-one and most of it is misunderstanding and baiting. I'm not going to get into a useless debate with you. I've found no professional musicians here but a lot of working musiciansThe difference is if you our band is signed with a --and there's a lot to be said for that. It's how I put myself through college...it's a shame you can't do that today--not because working musicians are less talented but tuition is so high even pre-formed kids like Disney can barely afford tuition these days.

FYI--Germany will put you through school for free--but you have to pretty good and have GPA of 4.5 to 5.0. My niece is there now playing Alto Sax at Cologne Univ. She's only 16 and exceptional--At her age I could play chords on guitar, sing and play piano badly,,,my GPA was in the negative at that that time. I got lucky to be 4 years younger than a band that needed rhythm guitar and vocals. I had a number of mentors and we got huge gigs at biker rallies or co-op gatherings a few times a year then regular gigs in Athes Blues bars, small but regular.

TO BOTH OF YOU​

I just noticed your quote referred to the post above. I should have let it go but he says 6? post above "I Don't want to get into this with you I write for the dear reader." Then goes back and forth repeating his his quoting post I've felt the need to explain, like "Typos? Good luck

10. notrick

notrick Members

OPPs should be "To both of you. Good Luck"

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

hey dummy

he was on your side..

he (rjh) wasn't calling you a troll

welcome to Hipforums

12. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

I wasn't referring to your as a troll. I was talking about the troll that insulted you.