Hardware For Recording Onto Android Device?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by GreenAvenger, Sep 23, 2015.

1. GreenAvenger

GreenAvenger Member

I have been using Android devices for just about everything for years now. Either my phone or one of two different tablets.

The thought of dealing with windows again with the slow boot, constant lockups, very slow almost daily updates patches and fixes, constant viruses, and all the other hassles keeps me away from Windows and I don't even want to begin bitching about Apple.

So question is, have any of you been able to make some decent recordings using affordable software that plays well on Android? And or are you aware of any cool recording gear that plays well with Android? Maybe a high quality Bluetooth microphone? Maybe a multi track recording device capable of wirelessly communicating with an android device? Maybe some sort of wired or wirelessly networked recording gear that might have an android app already written for it? Basically after a several years long series of shrooms ceremonies my music has become good enough that I am eager to get some quality recording made where I can play several different instruments and then get the recordings posted on line somewhere. I feel that my music is quite unique with flowing melodies and when the Muse speaks loudly, it is almost virtuoso level. I am beginning to think of it as gift from the universe and I need to somehow share. Thanks for any replies...

2. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I actually use an Android app that isn't supported on Play Store anymore. It has problems every now and then, creating botched recordings. It's got zero adware and does a good job by me tho. What I like to do is open it, start a recording, stop and delete it when I open the app. For some reason, it seems like it's always the first recording that gets botched. You can test it out if you want. Let me find a link here... it'll be in .apk format, so you'll have to download it to your device, then open it via Downloads or with a File Manager.

As a matter of fact, it looks like it doesn't exist on the internet anymore... Luckily, I downloaded the apk installer when it was a little easier to find.

I'll have to upload it to my MediaFire account and keep it alive!

I'll post the link here in a bit.

3. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I like where you're heading there. Bluetooth mic and wireless multi-track recorder... mmmm, that sounds sweet.

Here's the link to the Recorder Solution apk:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/god577jujg622ng/Recorder+Solution.apk

It's mostly a bare minimum recording app that uses the built-in microphone on your device. Like I said, it's a little wonky sometimes and it doesn't append filenames to the recording itself, which can be troublesome too, but if you're looking for a simple sound recorder app, this is my go to app for it. Kind of sucks since my new phone does some kind of dampening of the sound coming into the phone, won't pick up solo notes very well and drowns out pretty quickly when it's receiving minimal sound, but on my old phone it worked wonders! If it does accept external microphone it might produce better quality. Which, the quality is pretty good, all things considered.

I actually looked up the guy that created the app, but seem to have lost his info and website. He stopped updating it in 2004 or something?

Also, if you're looking for a relatively cheap recorder, my buddy used to have a Tascam which used a microSD card that produced some amazing quality recordings. We'd just press record and throw a sheet over it so the latency wasn't too high. (If I used that term correctly? Positioning it a bit away from all the noise so that the bass wasn't overpowering, making the recording crackly?)