Don't Move To Portland

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Fueled by Coffee, Sep 15, 2015.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Come and visit if you'd like. Just don't move here.

Seriously, Portland blows! Before this place became popularized by the media with TV shows like Grimm, Portlandia, and the Travel Channel, and when the Trail Blazers NBA team was sub par, this town was much more affordable. Now everyone from all across the country (and world) wants to live here all of a sudden. For most of my life, Portland was like a hidden treasure that most people from other parts of the country couldn't locate on a map, and possibly never heard of. And it had a strong reputation for being one of the most affordable big cities in the whole country. Because it was so affordable, I had a kick-ass apartment in the heart of the city in a high rise building a couple years ago with an excellent view and enormous windows. That is until my rent costs went up beyond $600, then I had to move out in the suburbs. And even then my rent is too high for the current old shoddy apartment I have today. I'd move away to a town with cheaper rent I could, but I cannot afford to leave this job that I currently have. I understand the appeal of living here, but I absolutely wish Portlanders would shut the hell up about how great their town is and stop convincing more people and media to move here. I really miss living in downtown with cheap rent. This city has lost it's charm and becoming like every other city with high rent.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

it's settled. I'm moving to Portland. Sounds like a great place, thanks.

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

shocked the show ''portlandia'' attracts people to Portland.....it isn't awesome that show...its a train wreck

1 person likes this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If i ever retire and move anywhere in the US, it will be Hawaii

That place is freakin awesome

I have no desire to visit mainland US ever again

6. r0llinstoned

I love to visit hawaii but everyone i know that has moved there or lived there for an extended period of time said it gets old pretty quickly. I wouldnt mind spending my entire summer there, though.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3et2iEHDo8

looks awesome lol

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, i did notice once you get away from that waikiki, parts of honolulu did start to resemble a third world country, was a bit iffy

Still, talking about retiring, no doubt will get old quick some ways, but the weather OMG the weather, perfect no matter what what time of day, and beaches of course.

Retiring anywhere would get old.

But im a cheapskate, so its more likely to be somewhere like bali or thailand and living expenses are $30 a week

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

my city isn't as well known as Portland but it has experienced a lot of growth in the last 10 - 15 years, which I actually kind of love. Its still weird to me that my town has tourists now, kinda baffling...but I can relate to the skyrocketing rents. Its pretty much impossible to live downtown anymore unless you can pay 1500+ in rent every month.

Portland does sound nice though. I wouldn't mind living somewhere in that part of the country.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

And not that mainland US is all that bad

Its just same shit different country, except that creme shit everytime you want a coffee and all food is either fried or covered in cheese. Im exaggerating for comic relief of course

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

one thing I always kinda feel sorry and embarrassed about when I meet people visiting the US from other countries is the massive amount of suburban wasteland you have to travel through in the US before finding anything cool.

12. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

It takes about 9 months to do everything. Then you notice that all the shows, festivals and attractions never change. And you can't drive a couple of hours to see something new.

13. r0llinstoned

yea, i wouldnt wanna be on that tiny little island for to long. What I like about it though is the weather and how life doesnt seem as fast there, as it does in LA.

14. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

It's like Alabama with Polynesians.

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah that was my reaction to LA, was like WTF man, city is just one big suburb the size of a small planet

16. r0llinstoned

Where in LA did you go? Why didnt you stop by and say hello ;)

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm fairly sure that's not true.

18. 6-eyed shaman

Yeah I couldn't do the quadruple digit rent no longer. In the $900-1070 range (plus utilities) is the most I could manage living solo, and that's basically what I wound up doing a few years ago. I checked in with the value of my old apartment and the rent is now up to $1800 for the same place. (I lived 2 places since I moved outta there).

Maybe it's not exclusively a Portland thing after all... The price of urban living has gone up in lots of cities so I've heard. Inflation takes its toll on everything. The convenience of urban living is quite nice. I can party at a club, get really drunk, and still manage to stagger back home in one piece without any motorized transport.

19. Eerily

Eerily Members

LA is like Louisiana without the Saints. In fact it's exactly that on a road week. Which is strange if you ask me.

20. 6-eyed shaman

Ehh I dunno if I agree. When you fly into any country or city you gotta travel through miles of suburbs from the airport. The so called suburban wasteland in the USA sure beats the garbage lined streets and unmaintained slums and ghettos of the Latin American countries you've got to weave your way through before you get to the good parts. I lived in Prague for a short while, known to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, but the suburbs in Prague were a huge culture shock for me. Blocky, tasteless Soviet-style architecture (using that word very very lightly) and lots of decaying apartment complexes all over the place. I lived away from Old Town so I had to get used to living in one of those structures. European suburbs don't look any better than American ones IMO, but they do have less warehouse stores though.

I like to hyperbolize.