What's Your Opinion On Banning Smoking In Jail?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Fluffernutter, Sep 13, 2015.

?

What's your opinion on banning smoking in jail?

1. positive

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. negative

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. neutral

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You're not a smoker?

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It gives anyone who is unfortunate enough to land in jail the opportunity to quit, which is invaluable if you ask me. But I don't smoke anymore. I voted positive.

3. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Did I say butt sex? Sorry I meant blumpkins...

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I'm an alcoholic so mostly drunken foolishness. You know trespassing, malicious mischief. Assault was about the worse. Stuff that gets you in jail for a weekend I haven't drank in 28 years it didn't seem to agree with me.

5. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Don't care. Don't smoke, don't plan on visiting the joint anytime soon.

6. Asmodean

Hmm joints!

7. Ophion

Ophion Members

Personally, I don't think this actually about what happens in prison at all. I think it is an attempt to reduce the inertia of smoking in society as a whole. It is much harder to persuade people to give up when a large proportion of people in society, or indeed within a particular environment, partake. The government has spotted an opportunity to take a particular community that includes a large proportion of smokers and use the controlled environment to force them to give up. Of course. the government can't stop them going back to it when released but clearly the hope is that a significant number of them, by the time they are released, conclude that they have actually received a favour and continue smoke free and thus reduce the overall number of smokers in society.

Where I live in the UK it is quite noticable that some professions/trades have a high proportion of smokers and some have a very low proportion. I work in IT and the proportion of smokers is very low indeed. In catering it seems to be the opposite. Whilst I would be loathe to make it illegal to smoke tobacco where you can do so without imposing it on others, because in general I prefer that people have the freedom to make their own decisions, it is quite clear that for many people who have taken up smoking this is not so much a concious decision as a case of following ones peers like sheep.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i know the ramen noodle people love it

9. You're in jail. All rights and privileges should be suspended IMHO.

10. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

I'm for banning jails in areas where people smoke.

11. Asmodean

All rights? :p

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

just making sure people know there is a difference between jail and prison....

but in other news i just thought, they should allow smoking in jail and prison and mark it up a few 100%, and use that money towards running prisons rather than taking it from our taxes.