What's Your Opinion On Banning Smoking In Jail?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Fluffernutter, Sep 13, 2015.

?

What's your opinion on banning smoking in jail?

1. positive

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. negative

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. neutral

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Considering that approximately 60-80% (depending on the source) of the prison populations smoke, that is going to have to be one large area designated for confinement. With the prisons being so over populated, I can not see that as a solution to the situation.

As I stated I can support designated smoking areas but not a total ban. These inmates are not incarcerated for tobacco use and I can only foresee it creating other issues that may not be as easily contained as smoking areas.

1 person likes this.
  2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I was joking.......

The only viable reason to ban tobacco would be the smoking of it inside, otherwise there is no viable reason to ban it's use.

But as I stated earlier, tobacco use, like the use of any "recreational" substance, is a privilege, not a right, so as prisoners should they have an expectation to indulge in privileges whenever incarceration is at it's heart the denying of privileges?

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

Inmates will just find something else to smoke, banana peels, tea, dried out snuff that was once chewed by the COs.. :puke:
    Here in Pennsylvania tobacco products have been banned from county jails for near 20 years. Ever so slightly they phased out tobacco products from some state prisons that have treatments for drugs, special needs units, DHU (holes) and death rows can not smoke .. Some state prisons still smoke and its a business like selling candy and chips.
    Inmates are permitted to smoke in their cells and outside yards. At one time, some prison were open smoking everywhere except medical areas. Gives inmates something to do, cleaning up the butts all over the flooring..
    State inmates going to court via county jails make much commissary from county inmates. As they mule tobacco into the county jail. State inmates can not bring anything with them other than under clothing and legal work. So bringing tobacco with them in the trunk, is a way for them to gain things like soap, candy, coffee, ect..

1 person likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I rather thought you were. :)

The whole point of incarceration is to remove them from society for a crime that they have committed. Incarceration does that, The privilege that is lost that is paramount to most is the freedom that is lost. To restrict the use of tobacco in designated areas, for example outside yards, is more punitive to me than what is called for. Smoking inside is another matter in that it not only causes health issue and risks for inmates but also correctional officers and other staff.

Privilege is some what subjective to me. No only in regards to smoking. What I would consider to be one might not be the same as the next person. For example I might consider TV to be one but that does not mean that those who wish to avail themselves of that should not. Also privileges are granted or removed based upon behaviours in that environment and I am sure that could also be added to the list of "ya did something you are not allowed to do and no outside time for ......".

1 person likes this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my opinion would be that second hand smoke constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. smokers should simply be housed in a seperate wing from non-smokers.

6. luv88

luv88 Members

I think it should be forbidden to smoke in the prison. It's like a privelege for smoking people, so why should they have it?

7. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Let them smoke. Horrible for your health (if its tobacco ;) but the nicotine is needed to keep many people sane.

8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Smoking, Tobacco may seem like a better option than other things - although Cannabis does have a relaxing and lethargic quality about it which may well reduce the amount of aggressive behaviour that is exhibited within - although I'm not sure about the depression and paranoid side effects which go with it - especially within a confined space

1 person likes this.
  9. morrow

morrow Visitor

It's not illegal to smoke in your home!

It will only apply to prison guards

10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Having seen the old TV programme 'Porridge' - one wonders what will replace the currency of 'snout'
    - I'm still unclear where it will be employed:- an 'Old lag' long term inmate of 20 yrs told -Stop = Cold Turkey, Offenders on remand - i.e Yet to be judged as guilty,
    Visitors and /or staff?

11. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

Bullshit. Its hard enough to be in prison.

12. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Inmates have a steady supply of their own poop to eat If the want to smell as bad as a cigarette.

13. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

I've been in jail when smoking was allowed and when it was banned. Being in jail sucks and it worse when you have a half a dozen idiots with cigs going 24 hours a day. But I solved that problem by not going to jail anymore.

14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

They should be allowed to smoke in the yard.If there is a yard.

15. morrow

morrow Visitor

Lol

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

After many years of researching this matter I concluded there's a subtile difference between poop and cigarette smoke.

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Why were you in jail?

18. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I think they should ban butt sex in prison

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Because most cigs are smoked just after that?

20. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I wouldn't know.