Social Media

Discussion in 'The Media' started by MrChuffy, Aug 27, 2015.

1. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

2. FritzDaKatx2

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

My parents use Whatsapp for that.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

ugh I hate when parents publically shame their kids on facebook. Talk about shitty parenting. Its also just about the laziest form of parenting ever. Lets see, shall I take a quick picture and type up a quick story and post it to social media and let the vicious parasites of the world do the rest, or should I, um, I dunno, try talking to my kid about their actions and actual try to connect and understand?

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I would already dislike it if had a kid that was on facebook. If said kid would really ask for it it might become a tempting approach :-D jk to be clear! And happily not a concern in reality for me :)

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, that kid needs to get on instagram or whatever his peers are using these days instead of hanging out on facebook with the old folks.

7. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

Al least I can hide away from my family on here, and I'm sure they wouldn't be too impressed by what I post in the forum. :)

1 person likes this.
  8. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

and don't forget about the Music you listen too. " turn it down sonny, god doesn't appreciate the noise, it means he can't hear our cries"

Yes, I bought "god" into a Social Media forum

OH the Humanity! I wish i had a Rainbow emoticon to counter the offended but here is [​IMG] for all the Christians :D

look Obama in the 80's [​IMG]

:D

9. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

No facebook for me...actually I have a VERY low social media profile and I like it that way!

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

They wouldn't let me on facebook because they didn't like my name.

2 people like this.
  11. FritzDaKatx2

^^ I had that trouble for a while too. :D

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

In regards to my family knowing what I'm up to, I don't really mind. I don't think it's anything too out of the ordinary. I'm always sending my folks pictures and stuff on my walks and with the dog, holidays and nights out. Just through emails, they have no social media. But they know what I get up to and know what I am like.

I actually think if I could get my daddy posting on HF we'd have a riot of a time, he's a good shit stirrer. ;)

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I got a ban last week and was asked to change my name to something authentic. I submitted the exact same name I am was using back to them with comments that it is in fact my family nickname and I have more chance of connecting with people I know based on my alias than I do my real name.

They let me keep my fb alias. :D

14. Backchat

Got to say that facebook is quite boring in comparison to HF, which is one of the reasons I don't go there. I always thought that keeping in touch with families used to be done by sending them a letter occasionally, or perhaps the odd phone call now and then. What we have now with facebook though is family pictures overload, you just can't get away from them when you want to. Anyway the good news is they don't come to HF, so I can be myself on here and have some fun with Backchat instead.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it did. now that there's facebook you finally have an excuse not to have to deal with those things.

1 person likes this.
  16. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

The problem is that you don't necessarily have to do or say anything illegal, wrong, or incriminating in order for your online activity to be used against you.

There's a huge amount of data being collected about people all of the time. Facebook is setting a tracking cookie on this very thread, which you can't see much less block unless you have privacy software installed in your browser (there are actually a lot of tracking cookies set on this site, mostly from third party pic hosting and youtube).

There's really nothing to stop data aggregators from selling profile information about you that could influence your housing, loan, school, job, insurance, international visa, or other applications. Let's say your profile has a 30% correlation with pervs, drug addicts, or other undesirables. If screening out anyone with a 30% or greater correlation eliminates 98% of undesirables, that's an easy choice for an application screener to make, especially if the data on you is available for cheap. It doesn't matter if you've been unfairly pigeon holed, you're a casualty of the system, and that's a sacrifice the system is willing to make.

1 person likes this.
  17. Backchat

So lets say because I have an open mind and outspoken attitude about sex on here for instance, are you saying that this would class me as a perv? I would counter that by saying that people's outdated attitude to sex needs to change, as we're now living in the 21st century which should be about sexual freedom and liberation and not oppression. I do understand that everything I do on the web is being clocked so as to character profile me, and selling this data to a third party if they require it. But what I don't agree with is someone using my data for making the wrong assumptions about me, based on outdated attitudes to sex.

18. FritzDaKatx2

There's also the big perk of being able to make contacts and connections in fields that you might otherwise never be able to reach through more traditional means, or at least plant lil' ideas in their heads here & there. :D
    (At least I guess some folks might like that aspect of it?)

TShintaku.jpg

19. AstroShark

AstroShark Member

20. Berry88

Berry88 Members

I use FB from time to time to, but I don't have many friends there, just those I really have something to talk about.