Social Media

Discussion in 'The Media' started by MrChuffy, Aug 27, 2015.

1. MrChuffy

MrChuffy Members

Well I will confess I aint really a fan of that there Facebonk kinda stuff....I am on there but just found I was spending hours just staring at pictures of what people had for their dinner....they actually took pictures of plates of food and wrote "Heres my dinner" and then they post a picture of an empty plate and write "Yum yum" by it!.....How did it all come down to this I ask myself....I thinks its good for keeping up with the music scene and stuff like that....but a lot of the other stuff is pure fanny.....But saying that I am looking for more friends cos I am looking like Billy no mates at present....so feel free to add me cos i'll look really sad else...and I can't have that. :bigcry:

1 person likes this.
  2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Add me on Myspace

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Social media is scary. I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with posting pictures of everything they do and think. They voluntarily submit this information where it can be archived forever. They'll inevitably wind up regretting it all later once someone does a background check on them. That information you put on there, you can't ever take off. That's why I never post anything on social media.

3 people like this.
  4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

assuming they're doing something incriminating i suppose.

1 person likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I do have a Facebook account but I really only use it to see when bands are touring. I was using it as my online journal for a little bit and I knew my friends could read it, but I didn't realize that when they commented or liked my post that it would show up on all their friends feeds too so I blocked everyone for seeing my page and posts and then I could keep it as my online diary. I'm thinking of doing this for my holiday soon. Seems to be a good place to upload lots of pictures so you can have them for whenever. But I'm really not into the social side of it. Not interested in people I never took the time to stay connected with after school and jobs.

6. Backchat

Backchat Supporter HipForums Supporter

For me this is the best social media site I have found so far, much more fun, Facebook is way too normal for me now since I updated my status to not so normal now as I used to be then.

2 people like this.
  7. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Social media is the problem with what is going on in today's world. It gives people, mainly the youth, the stepping stone to to become socially inept. We rely on posting and what is being said by 10's or 100's of people we have never met and with no common sense and personal pride. Most do not know each other on FB and the confidence in knowing that spawns the fact that you can spew such judgment, hatred then turn the computer off and go to sleep not giving one thought to that person. This is the thing wrong with this world. We selfishly and easily forget.

We as an emotional species, cannot handle personal criticism regardless of whether we know the person or not and social media is only going to form to become the only interaction we will have. Face to face will become history and along with it common sense and empathy and individuality, we will become social media.

The revolution is not of oneness and expansion, it is a turn to a one culture mentality. Cultural heritage is becoming obsolete. Slowly we are transforming in to one, but not of mind, but of identity. Our history is going, ISIL is destroying ancient cities in the name of Allah or Jihad or whatever it is called now, rain forests and the native inhabitants are receding and disappearing for money, animals are becoming extinct, obesity levels in kids rise and imagination falters.

Social media has allowed us to create chaos, then hide. It has given us permission to forget and regard others as just a poster and not people. SM has been extremely taken out of the original context and has resorted to sleeping with big brother.

Empathy, the emotion that forms us is becoming numb. That is a scary notion.

1 person likes this.
  8. Backchat

You raise some very good points there, wasn't it fairly recently that Facebook had a record 1 billion users on for just one day which is a record for any social media site. I think more women than men use Facebook, which is quite understandable really as it's a very family orientated social media site.
    I don't bare a grudge with social media though, I think it can still serve as a force for good in our busy every day to day lives where we have become socially isolated from our families and friends.

Forums for instance take social media into a whole different ball game, where we can intelligently discuss matters in a grown up way and meet people along the way. You wouldn't be able to do that at home with anyone in your street or anywhere else in fact without this kind of technology. So I think social media is like a two edge sword really, it's both good and bad and it's just up to you as an individual as to how you use it and gain the most from socially interacting with the people that use it. I certainly don't feel socially isolated from humanity by using this site, it's not having a narcissistic (boy what a word) effect on me, in fact quite the reverse actually as I feel happy that I am interacting with the people that are on here.

I have a social choice to make, do I go down to the pub and put up with all those noisy people who haven't got a clue about anything, or do I come here and intelligently interact with like minded individuals in the comfort of my home. I am doing the latter right now, and if I want to just let it all hang out and behave in a stupid way I will go to the pub instead where I just wont fit in though because that's not really my scene anyway. Now if I could meet someone interesting in the pub that would be a very different thing entirely, such as a Goth for instance a worthwhile thing to do, but around here there aren't any. OK no Goths here either perhaps, but at least there are some very interesting people.

9. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Nice post. I find this site well opened as well. Apart from the almost stupidly common sexual orientated post, this site is an easy place to visit and the folks here are willing to let the expression happen and without, well sometimes a little judgment. This only occurs in the political threads and those show how segregated we all are. You are a Democrat or a Republican. Hillary or Donald. It comes out like a football game at a friends house, "Raiders suck", "nah bro 49ers suck". Politics is always one sided, either or, but in the end it is all about power, money and recognition, not about us as countrymen and this is in most countries not just the US, who is just more widely disliked.

I have no issue with SM if used as initially intended. My choice of not having a FB account is mine, probably in the minority but never the less, my choice. It is the kids now on them that I fear for, spending hours a day, criticizing, judging, bullying, following, RELYING on and losing the common sense, empathy and social exchange that makes us all human. The future is coming fast and sounding like every older generational parent, it will suck the life out of us and is in the process of doing it now.

Most people are interesting if asked the right questions. Encouraging someone to open and to open up while not knowing you is a great feeling knowing you can get honesty out of someone and allow them to think instead of answering basic questions. That may sound egotistical but on the contrary it is encouraging free thinking out of the mundaness of every day 3d life. That cannot happen on SM.

I always liked myspace though.

1 person likes this.
  10. Backchat

There is one thing that social media does quite well in fact, which many people are not always aware of for most of the time, it is a reflection of our thoughts coming right back at us. This kind of self reflection was unheard of before the advent of SM, and it quite clearly demonstrates how incredibly wrapped up within itself society has now become in this age of social interactive media.

11. Metal Groomp

Metal Groomp Members

I've no problem if people use FB to get in touch with family or friends. What I don't like is that everyone just wants the most likes and "friends" and takes pictures every 5 minutes of themselves. That gets annoying real fast, not to mention people checking their statuses or whatever a lot of the time and doesn't really seem to care about anything else.

12. Backchat

Yes I agree, although I am guilty of updating my status and wanting lots of friends and likes to. I guess that's because that's the way I am really, although I do draw the line where taking pictures is concerned because that's not really my scene.

13. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

It is the unfortunate reliance we have on SM. We care more for what 'friends' do and say then we do our own families. and sadly it is reflecting on the way the youth of today are responding to the 'outside world', they do not now how. Reality will become SM and SM will become reality, soon there will not be a noticeable difference.

1 person likes this.
  14. AstroShark

AstroShark Member

i do have Facebook, i moslty use it to follow things i am into because it's actually for me to use my Facebook for that rather then click on all theese diffrent websites..if i share or talk about things on there, it's mostly only in FB groups that share my same intrest.

I have always been curious though to as to what compells people to get on there and talk about the shit they do talk about...Mostly the whining and feeling compelled to get on your FB and go off when something goes wrong...I really do a good job of biting my tongue.

1 person likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I agree. I like it for music news and sports news.

16. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have to go to facebook to see all the pics of my grandkids being posted.

17. AstroShark

AstroShark Member

and thats the other thing....Parents get on Facebook and just embarris the shit out of there kids! This world were livng in i tell you!

18. Aerianne

The two times my little 8 year old grandson has been in real trouble, he asks me if I read about it on facebook.

I say "No, your mom told me"; and he's like "I told her she was going to put it on facebook and then everybody would know!"

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

from what i've seen it seems to appear most often as a symptom of a terrible hereditary disease, commonly known as Being White Trash.

20. Aerianne

Facebook isn't the place to air dirty laundry but that doesn't stop some people.