My Taste Of The Band Died After Hearing About This Announcement From The Grateful Dead.

Discussion in 'Grateful Dead and Phish' started by lenini56, Aug 5, 2015.

1. lenini56

lenini56 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is pure horseshit! They just did a reunion show in Santa Clara and Chicago last month and now they finally an east coast show at Madison Sqaure Graden. I should be super excited about this except for one giant problem. Phil Lesh is not gonna be part of the lineup, and THEY GOT JOHN MAYER TO FILL JERRY GARCIA'S SHOES! That's right, the same guy who's girlfriend is Katy Perry, is known for simplistic ballads like "Daughters" and "Waiting on the world to change", and pretty much known by the paparazzi to be dating everyone he meets. This just adds insult to injury to those including myself who didn't get a chance to see their reunion shows. especially the ones from the East Coast. Seriously to me, The Grateful Dead just really killed their legacy and this to me is the worst way to say goodbye. What's next? Jimmy Page playing for Justin Bieber's band, Eric Clapton selling out by touring with One Direction, Miley Cyrus announced as the lead singer for the Jefferson Airplane reunion or even the guitarist from R5 replacing Joe Perry for Aerosmith? This is just ridiculous and A FUCKING NIGHTMARE!!! Why Why WHY!!!???

Here's proof of this sell out move! > http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/grateful-dead-members-john-mayer-form-dead-company-20150805

2. ElEyeJaw

ElEyeJaw Banned

As Pablo Escobar once said..........."Everybody has a price, the important part is finding out what it is".

2 people like this.
  3. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Technically, they never said something like this would never happen. Of course it would. What they said was that the "core four" would never perform on stage again as the Grateful Dead. So they aren't breaking that promise.

1 person likes this.
  4. lenini56

https://youtu.be/juhRyhkjT9k < Skip this video to 1:52 because that's how exactly my reaction was like hearing this announcement. My love for the dead has recently died, well I hope they get One Direction as backup singers. What were they thinking!?

5. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Someone purchased a ticket for the Fare Thee Well Chicago shows for north of $8K.
    the majority ticket of purchases are documented

On-line purchasing allows a window on a principle known as "Demand"

So now what follows is more "Supply"

good concepts for hippies to be acquainted with.

And just who doesn't want to play The Garden one more time? Billy Joel plays there each month.

Do you think Katy Perry could come on and sing some of the Donna Gouchaux parts?

6. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Oh get over it, John Mayer is a great musician, they are lucky to get him. Helluva lot more interesting than Trey Anis-whatsisname...
    {{ducks rocks and bottles}} lol

2 people like this.
  7. lenini56

Well get One Direction to be the dead's back up singer. This really killed my love of the dead. Also get Travis Baker to drum for them.

8. Wizardofodd

I've seen a few songs with Mayer playing with them and he did pretty good. Not taking anything away from him but he's no Trey and I was there. Trey did an incredible amount of homework and it showed. I'm very familiar with both GD and Phish and the difference in Trey was obvious in Chicago. Interestingly enough...we streamed a couple of Phish shows shortly after the Chicago shows and Trey sounded different...as if the GD experience really left something on him. I'm hitting Alpine for Phish this weekend and I look forward to hearing how he plays.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gongshaman

Were you in love with the idea of the dead as a band or did you love the music?

2 people like this.
  10. Wizardofodd

How would this kill your love for the band? The bands history dates back 50 years. They've been making me happy for 30+ yrs. A few shenanigans won't change that.

11. lenini56

1 person likes this.
  12. lenini56

13. Wizardofodd

You should hear Phil sing Unbroken Chain! ;)

Just kidding. :)

When I said I saw/heard him play a few songs...it was with Bob (and Phil I think but I don't remember for sure) and not his own band and I don't think he sang at all...much less lead.

1 person likes this.
  14. lenini56

Do you think I should see them anyways since they are playing so close to me? After all this is a "dead make up show"

15. Gongshaman

Trey's obviously a better choice for fronting the band. I wonder why he didn't do all the shows?

16. Wizardofodd

Why not? I'd go. I've seen every version of them since back when Jerry was alive and I've always had a great time. I love the music. When Jerry was alive he would say "Well...it's just a different way of playing the song." and, to him, it was. How many different versions of different songs did they play? I prefer an upbeat Friend Of The Devil but a slower version is just fine too. :)

17. Wizardofodd

He did do all of them...Santa Clara and Chicago.

Edit.....he probably won't be doing NY because Phish is touring.

18. Gongshaman

So he gets a lot of attention for his rise as a pop musician. He's also a fine guitarist and blues musician. The John Mayer trio is a blues-rock band.
    Thier live album 'Try' is decidedly not teen-age and college preppie fare and a significant move away from his previous acoustic pop style, featuring extended electric guitar solos and all. Released in 2005 Nominated for best rock album of the year.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't pay hardly any attention to band members really so if I went and see a concert and the lineups changed as long as the music is still good I probably wouldn't have even known the difference.

1 person likes this.
  20. Gongshaman

Oh I'll bet you'd be pissed if they got say, Steven Tyler to front for Lemmy, lol