Petition: Target Trophy Shirt Lady Aka A.r. Stop Writing Petitions That Encourage Blind Feminist Res

Discussion in 'People' started by S.B., Jul 24, 2015.

1. S.B.

S.B. Members

Petitioning Target Trophy Shirt Lady aka A.R.

stop writing petitions that encourage blind feminist response and general stupidity

Just before going to sleep last night I opened my MSN news app and read an article entitled, "Target's 'Trophy' shirt draws sexism claims." The article is about a woman calling herself A.R. who is so infuriated after finding a ladies t-shirt with the word "TROPHY" sprawled across its front for sale at a Target store that she started a Change.org petition asking Target to stop selling the shirts. After reading the article, I felt compelled to read this petition which boldly accused Target of using a t-shirt design to encourage rape culture.

In the very first paragraph of the petition, A.R. insults the intelligence of her target audience (which I assume encompasses the demographic of women and young ladies living in the developed world) with a direct quote from dictionary.com, defining the word "trophy" as, "any THING taken in war, hunting, competition, etc., especially when preserved as a memento; spoil, prize, or award- anything serving as a token or evidence of victory, valor, skill, etc." Granted, we all come from different circumstances and are differently abled, but I'm pretty sure most women and teen girls living in the U.S. and reading this petition, even the youngest and the least educated among them, already knew the general definition of the word “trophy.”

A.R. goes on to confuse her readers with a weird reference to the movie “Mad Max,” her goal apparently being to compare the sexist symbolism of the trophy shirt with an over-the-top science fiction dystopian which portrays women as sex slaves and baby making machines. A.R's justification for this huge leap is simply to state that, "millions of women and young girls are taken as "trophies" every year in war, sex trafficking, slavery, and rape."

I realize that I'm supposed to be so entranced by this completely generic statement portraying the unnumbered statistics of females of random ages living somewhere in the world and the brutality forced on them by their slavers, sex traffickers, and rapists, that I forget that all of this has absolutely nothing to do with Target's alleged responsibility to control what women wear, but somehow I'm not. And when I read about A.R.’s incredible insight on what the evil sex criminals are thinking when they commit their various crimes, I glean from her clever use of quotation marks on the words, "things," "won," and "victory," that these men must see their victims as trophies, just as they will see women who wear Targets trophy t-shirts! Unfortunately A.R. offers no reason for me to believe that she knows any more than I do about about what goes on inside the heads of sex criminals.

A.R. then attempts to bring her message home stating that, "the use of the word [trophy] when referring to women encourages a rape culture," because a bunch of studies somebody, somewhere did on rape on some random college campuses say that rapists take trophies after the act, be it a pair of panties, bra, photograph, or even video. I'm still unclear about A.R.’s point here because previously she implied that Target’s trophy shirts would cause men to see women as trophies, but now she talks about a rapist taking a trophy. So, if the girl is the trophy, is A.R. suggesting that the rapist will be kidnapping the girl after she is raped? Since the act of taking a trophy after committing a crime and the act of viewing a female as an object are two entirely different issues, I fail to see her point, aside from the coincidental use of the word "trophy."

Finally, A.R. states that at some point in the past Target took some backlash for showing sexism of some sort in their clothing department. Apparently Target learned nothing from this unnamed incident because an unknown number of dozens of undetermined Target corporate types saw the trophy shirt, approved it, and greedily want to gain profit by selling it to (I presume) all the poor, unwitting females in the world who will wear them proudly only to end up enslaved, raped, and then traded to college boys for bras, panties, and videos.

It wasn't until I reached the bottom of the web page, when I saw the thirteen thousand blindly feminist supporters A.R. had bamboozled into signing her petition with her generic facts, weak associations, and empty statistics, that I was sadly reminded that there exist far too many females who are so desperate to do something that matters they are willing to support a cause that means absolutely nothing, because the word trophy on a t-shirt means absolutely nothing, and in doing so risk making complete fools of themselves as individuals, as feminists, and as females.

This petition asks that A.R., and others like her, stop writing petitions that encourage blind feminist response and general stupidity before we all lose sight entirely on the point of the feminist cause, which is the empowerment of the female gender as equals to the male gender--females who can make their own decisions (such as what clothes to wear) and face the consequences of those decisions. We need to stop putting blame on big faceless entities like Target for the mistakes we as individuals make and start putting the responsibility back into the the hands of the individual before we end up giving away whatever is left of the personal rights, dignities, and freedoms women fought so hard to obtain over the past century. A.R., if you truly want to make a positive difference in the lives of today's young ladies, stop blaming, stop complaining, and start empowering.
    Sign my petition.
    *I could not get the link for A.R's petition to work, but if you type "Target trophy shirt" into the Change.org search engine it will come right up.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you joined Hip Forums just to post this!!????

you need to get out more.

I agree with A.R.
    If you don't "see her point" than you are one thickheaded SOB.......LOL

I will say, all you are accomplishing with your own little petition is to make yourself look like a misogynistic fool, even if you are female.

so you wouldn't happen to be the buyer for Target who gave the OK for these shirts, would you?

1 person likes this.
  3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I was unaware there is trophy babes walking around target......they should sell shirts that say ''consolation prize'' because that was my impression when they were open in Canada for like half a day lol

6 people like this.
  4. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Ok, so A.R. is hyper militant, hysterical, offended-by-anything, barking mad bitch trying censor everyone else's rights to free expression to suit her own agenda. It's not a surprise when feminists boil all of the worlds problems down to the evil inherent in the phallus, perceive everything as a manifestation of that evil, and then expect the world to stand on its head until the day comes that feminists are no longer able to find something that offends them.

I think getting bent into knots over this shit, or paying any attention at all to A.R. and those like A.R. is just not worth it.

It's funny, you could write an equally hysterical diatribe about how the t-shirt represents female egoism and female privilege to manipulate men into competing over them.

It's usually better to just let the looney tunes wallow in their own insanity than to try to engage in any sort of dialogue or debate with them.

1 person likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

all this fuss over a shirt lol. When my sister and her husband got married someone both gave them a shirt that said trophy wife and trophy husband and no one raised a ruckus

7. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Trophy babes shop Bloomingdales and Neimann Marcus, not Target.

8. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Perhaps the petition has a point.

However, this is your first post here. To come here bitching and moaning and whining and pissing again...listen dude, not here. Ok? Not here.

I don't know AR and I did not see her posts. But I see yours here and that's enough for me. Listen- we don't have a dog in this fight. Don't put a bone in front of us. You might get bit.

It's not our fight. It's yours.

1 person likes this.
  9. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Don't forget participation trophies!

10. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Had a real nice cantaloupe today.

1 person likes this.
  11. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

You sexist fruit you. :D

Watch out though. There may be a petition out on you for fondling the Cantaloupe before purchase. Oh the misconstrued feminist outrage :D

2 people like this.
  12. audrey_the_endotherm

audrey_the_endotherm Members

I just bought a "Black Owned" shirt from Walmart last week and no one gave a shit. Joking aside, I am starting a petition, it asks you and others like you, to stop writing petitions against other petitions.

1 person likes this.
  13. I think your shirts were dumb and humorless, Meliai, but they're also a totally different situation than these trophy shirts made for girls. How do we divide boys and girls, into "trophies" and what? All I can think of is "hunters", and it would be dumb as shit if boys started wearing shirts that read "hunter". Even hunters wouldn't wear a shirt that just read "hunter". But I'm sure somebody can think of an even dumber, more marginalizing shirt for a boy to wear.

All this post has inspired me to do is sign the original petition. Am I outraged by Target's choice in t-shirts? No. It's just a feather on top of my overall pile of malaise that our vapid culture has created in me. It's worse than outrage. It just means that I'm so jaded to stupidity that I don't even find it outrageous anymore. I do want shit like this to stop. A trophy is an object. Girls aren't objects, in spite of how much the extremely stupid ones want to be treated that way. Our culture needs to stop catering to stupidity, and every little bit counts.

The people who aren't bothered by these things are idiots.

14. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

I would think that Social media has more of an influence on young woman/men then a Target T-shirt that says 'Trophy'.

The word 'trophy' on the shirt may not be the problem, mentally; it may be the style of shirt that 'trophy' is written on that adds more demeaning to the person then the word itself.

15. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

I see your point but we have to put blame on society for the out of control that Political correctness influences. To me if you want to wear the shirt or any other clothing, go ahead. A word written on a shirt is just that, a word but we make it out like it has some underlining subliminal message.

Some guy wearing a UFC shirt promoting fighting, power, blood, winning etc has more of an impact to the person viewing it then some silly 16 yr old at the beach wearing a shirt that says 'trophy'.

Society with personal agendas are making every aspect of life a misery. All groups. The aclu, lgbt, blm, kkk, dems, rep etc Only care for themselves. So let them. The more we respond to the stupidity of agenda run groups, the more power we give them.

16. I suppose you have a point as well, but I still don't think Target should be selling this clothing. Target doesn't sell UFC clothing. I have been in Target and their t-shirts for men are mostly superheroes t-shirts.

I guess it's none of my business if a girl wants to believe she is a trophy, though. I would take this to mean that she fancies herself a very lovely girl. Which is still in bad taste, but to each their own.