Anyone Make Hash?

Discussion in 'Processing Marijuana' started by Sleeping Caterpillar, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Just recently learned how to make bubble hash (a water, ice, and big filters, extraction)
    and also convert the kief from a personal supply to a good bit of hashish (heat and pressure)

Not a fan of butane hash oils though that have become so popular though, due to the health risks.

Who makes their own hash?

I was a big fan, just a little bit with a bowl of flower, really puts you in a great place

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I learned how to make a version of hash in Hawaii in the 80s. My neighbor used stainless steel bowls and a section of silk folded over the bowl and tied tightly. Then you have to crush the buds to very loose mulch, then pick up a bit of it and rub it into the silk so only the finest bits fall into the bowl. It takes hours. Then you have to collect it and finish the process (below).

A few years ago I was using a coffee grinder (Braun since I'm a racist) and noticed that the inside lid was covered with the super fine bits. Sooo, I started saving it till I had a few grams. I then use a stainless steel mesh tea ball half to sift it again to make sure I don't have any big stuff in it that would make the hash unstable structurally. The powder is then collected onto a 6X6 inch sheet of plastic and twisted into a tight ball. I usually tie it with a wire, like a trash bag tie and then cover it with a couple of 6X6 inch sections of cotton cloth, like from an old t-shirt. These are also tied off with wire.

The ball is then suspended in a pot of boiling water so that the open ends of the cloth do not enter the water, just the ball. If you drop the whole thing into the water, it will ruin the batch. Water is not supposed to get into the ball itself, the water is only providing a safe level of heat. I usually heat it for around 20 or so minutes. After that I put the ball between 2 hardwood boards and then I use 3 C-clamps to squish the ball evenly till it's very tight. I let this sit a day or so and then tighten it again. A day more and I pull it all apart to reveal a pancake of very strong but crude hash.

Doing this with the coffee grinder is not the most efficient way, but it's simple and really does make impressive stuff. What remains in the grinder is basically middies now, but still worth toking. This process really doesn't waste anything, but you have to understand that the weed that isn't made into hash will not be as strong as it was right out of the dealer's sack. Some people I have shared this recipe with were surprised by this. Sorry, but you can't have your hash and smoke it too!

3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

actually it is better to just save and smoke the kief (trichomes) because whenever you heat and crush them, you started the deterioration ball rolling and the outer layers will change chemical composition and develop more cannabinoids that are the result of deterioration and the inner portion should stay relatively fresh.

I have always loved hash and have played around with all the various methods.

I wish folks could get the terminology correct though.
    Hash is any concentration of the trichomes that has been compressed into a solid. It still contains some degree of plant matter.

Anything that is made by extracting the cannabinoids with some type of solvent is an "oil" or "extract" and NOT hash.
    Oil, crumble, budder, shatter, wax are all names/types of EXTRACTS.

I really wish folks would quite mixing the two things up as they are produced through very different means.

1 person likes this.
  4. deleted

deleted Visitor

I used to like growing some monsters outdoors or so, and rubbing them down with my hands.. then rubbing my hands over a tray to collect the stickiness .. been a while tho, extracts and stuff I give up on that since its so readily available.. whats the point??.

/ almost feel the same way with growing plants. whats the point. seems the market is saturated //

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

that's how they make Nepalese finger hash and temple balls.

I guess the closest to that nowadays would be "scissor hash", scrapings off the trimming gear.

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

making bubble hash is ok once in awhile....I would do it more often if I had an automatic stir mechanism.....arm gets sore after holding that stupid drill gun for 20 minutes a few times in a row

same with oil.....a treat but also a pain in the ass

crumble a bud and roll it up...still my bestest thing :)

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I will admit to being spoiled now with MM. I have really gotten to love the vaporizer pens for oils and buying the ready to go cartridges. You can get oils that are more less as strong as buds with a similar % of cannabinoids, or you can get oils with over 70%.
    PureGold is one of my favorites for giving a bowl an extra punch as it comes in at 93% cannabinoids. Don't think it's possible to get higher and still have a smokable product.
    I believe it is made with Limolene or similar natural solvent and it has a nice orange aftertaste. They also have PureGold+ which has more terpenes and a higher % of CBD.
    Personally I don't like it, tastes like 80 weight gear oil, but the original is tits. Those little squeeze tube are 1/2 gram each.

[​IMG]

:smoke out:

8. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

here ya go;

http://hydrobuilder.com/20-gallon-mini-washing-machine.html

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

how much are they are to buy?...what is the most you can buy of the oil in one visit?

remind me which state you are in?

because the bud isn't ready to smoke at harvest...common misconception....oil and hash is what I do until the bud is ready.....any b grade bud and trim go out in the sun to get nice and dry so I can run it asap

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

11. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

wrong thread sorry

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I live in southern Cali.
    they run about $35 a pop at most of the dispensaries I use. I can also get vapor pen cartridges, full gram for $50. But some places sell them for as much as $70, fuck that!
    As far as how much oil I can get at one time, not sure.
    I think a QP is the limit for bud at one purchase, and 8 ounces is the max to have for personal at one time, 12 baby plants, 6 adult, according to the laws
    but have no idea on oil. good question, will have to find out. I think it is a QP for hash as well, but again not certain.

but it's not like there is a central data base tracking how much weed you buy. You could go buy a QP at 37 different places in one day if you wanted.
    Actually I've know more than a few people who get a new recommendation and then hit every fucking dispensary in 50 miles to get the "new patient" deals....LOL
    literally met some guy who visited about 100 places in one weekend to get the deals.

The most I have ever got at one time was about 4 grams of wax, a quarter ounce of hash and a couple of ounces. I can't afford to get much at one shot and thank my lucky star there is one place that takes the crumbs from the bud jars, and sells it for $5 a gram shake. A lifesaver on those $$ lean weeks. It is more or less just as good as the full price stuff, just not pretty buds, but who da fuck cares, it still gets the job done, and like the cutey that weighed some out for me yesterday said, I don't have to grind it or anything, just roll and burn. ;)

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I've been lazy with the hash making for a while now. A gram of BHO runs about $20 so it's not too much trouble to just buy it and save yourself time. I also have a kief box so I just smoke that. It's not quite as pure as bubble hash but it gets you stoned.