What Makes A God?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by AceK, Jul 11, 2015.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

What properties does God have? In other words, what are the requirements some entity must have in order to be considered (a) god. What capabilities are required to be considered god, and what limitations (if any) does god have?

2. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

What makes a god? People.

5 people like this.
  3. storch

storch banned

Well, when a male god and a female god have special feelings for each other, and they desire to act on those special feelings in a pure and loving way, then the female god becomes pregnant and gives birth to a new god . . . or godess.

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Omnipotence...yeah, you gotta be one omnipotent mutha fucker!

5. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

God doesn't have to go to the bathroom. Seriously, if you periodically need to take a shit then you are definitely not God. If you never have to, then you might be God.

6. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Does god have to be considered an entity? Does god have to be referred to as a noun? What are the implications of traditional schools of thought that may be influencing the foundation of this enquiry?

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

He gotta be really strong and have long hair.

8. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

What properties does god have?

articulated malleability

Capabilities and limitations?

melts in your mouth not in your hand

1 person likes this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

a lot of religions seem to imagine God with human frailties. That has always bothered me, more so in monotheistic religions where God is supposed to be this all powerful, perfect entity than in polytheistic religions where each God is just a representation of the various components of human nature.

I like the new testament idea of God. God is love

10. AceK

(removed duplicate post)

11. AceK

So God is a feeling?

12. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

If God is love in the new testament, then why do I have to believe in love so that love can save me from being forever punished by love for not loving love without ever having been given living proof of love by that love? And then what on earth is prayer?

3 people like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont really believe in God and I'm not a Christian so I don't want to put myself in a situation where I feel myself needing to defend Christianity..

With that said, love isn't a feeling, its an action. I don't think the bible was referring to that funny feeling you get inside your pants and tummy when you're falling in love. It meant love as in not being a selfish asshole, putting others before yourself, helping your neighbor when they're in need.

Its not a bad religious philosophy.

1 person likes this.
  14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

but I think overall the fact that most religious assign human flaws to the idea of god means humans fancy themselves as gods

15. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What makes a god? nothing
    I don't believe in a god.

god, as a loose concept means love, as i stated before quoting Asimov and ray Bradbury ...and it is a love that is just there not to just get something......

in my words...."god" is goodness at the core...i see this trait in more animals than I do in most people.

and to use a religious story....they crucified jesus, too, didn't they?

16. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

God = Man, Man = God

Coming into contact with your primordial undying and unborn self reveals your Immortality, which doesn't mean that you'll never die but that means that there's something within you that has never not been there, and never won't be there, throughout any incarnation.

This is about coming into contact with your eternal Self, and is essentially what the Buddha and Lao Tzu taught. There is no separation from Man to God. It's one and the same.

No-Self refers to the dropping of your egoic consciousness and falling into Universal Consciousness, which permeates throughout the Cosmos. In Zen this "falling" is referred to as the Great Release or the Great Death. Your identity shifts from "I am me" to "there is no separation between me and the world, the inner and the outer, above and below, etc."...or in other words "I am you. You are me."

Not that this wasn't always the case, but without the Great Death, one can't fully come into conscious contact with it. God is sleepwalking through the form of egoic human consciousness, until Awakening happens.

1 person likes this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Sweet. I am goddess then. :)

Now I electrocute all you with my lightening powers.

BbZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzt

1 person likes this.
  18. storch

storch banned

Sorry, didn't quote.

19. storch

storch banned

I am thinking that maybe I am an illusionary manifestation of your mind's attempt to separate itself from itself. Or, maybe not.

20. ChinaCatSunflower02

ChinaCatSunflower02 Senior Member

You still are you, but you're not limited to your egoic identity. This is what I'm saying.

Tags: