Giving Art Tips And Asking Others Tips For Share Purpose Only ;)

Discussion in 'Art' started by meditation24h24, Jul 7, 2015.

1. meditation24h24

meditation24h24 Member

Hello my names is Jérémie, i want you to share some art tips you have on sketching and paint.
    mine are to listen to music carefully , while smoking some pot and just drew or paint what i see spontanious , i find it nice, but i dlike to have some technique like how to get more realistic and stuff, i know the more you look the more you can know what your doing cause you do what you see u know . but the tips i could give help us to stay focus on 1 thing at time . I also like to play games while sketching to take break. i' like working with different shading tones pencil. Playing games obviously help with the realistic view cause most of us want to grind and go ahead we do the sketh and we forget how we didnt needed to force ourself to go as fast as that cause slower and longer would give a better result? is that ever got you in mind? anyway was sharing some tips so if you have some pls feel free to share, i would have to get some tips about the color mixing for realistic tones and color .... thanks -Jérémie

1 person likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Know color theory inside and out... Get to the point it becomes a natural gift you don't even need to think about. They won't, and can't teach you that in any school.

2 people like this.
  3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

what is color theory?
    I just paint with feeling
    Picasso said he spent his whole life trying to learn how to paint like a child again
    i think art can be too over analyzed to feel anything after awhile.

4. Tyrsonswood

Knowing color theory is not learning it, as in bookwork or class studies.

It's knowing inherently how to mix colors together to achieve a certain shade, what applying that shade a certain way does to the depth of that color, and then knowing what it's going to look like when seen in various light sources. It's also knowing how the human eye reacts when it sees multiple colors next to one another. You don't get this from books. You get this from observation.

Truthfully... I don't give a shit what Picasso said.

4 people like this.
  5. Moonglow181

let's see some of your inherit art

6. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I inherited some art once

7. Moonglow181

ha ha
    i knew that was going to be taken literally somewhere along the line

8. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I couldn't help myself :p

9. Tyrsonswood

In short, I can't. What you would consider "art", in other words "paintings on canvas" would all look like this now.

[​IMG]

That was an acrylic on canvas until the house fire in December 2012. Anything like that, which was in my possession at that time was completely destroyed. Many others were given away long ago to people I no longer have contact with.

Besides this, the level of detail I'm talking about would be totally lost between... 1) taking the photograph. 2) getting said photograph into a computer. 3) you viewing said photo on a different computer monitor than the one I have.

On another level, would it be considered "art" by you if it were not on a canvas... Say, if it were on a car that took a "Best Paint" award at a car show. Or painting a room in my house that entails 4 different shades of light blue and a strip of purple and not having one or more of those shades of blue look green when you turn on the lights? Or how about sculpture? Bringing just the perfect pieces of wood together for their colors to blend just right even if they were totally different species of wood... But then it's not "sculpture" if it's a handmade guitar, now... Is it?

I always hated "art classes" in collage because you can't teach Art... That and I was usually way over the heads of those teachers I had back then. One such class project was as follows... "Show equal negative and positive space, in two colors without using black or white." I played with this one all night, mixing colors until I got it just right. I mixed a green and a red, those were my two colors. I painted a basic checkerboard pattern except it was laying horizontally and rolling up over a slight rise, back down, and up a larger rise behind that... Just to mess with perspective a little bit and make it somewhat more challenging. Anyways, back to color theory and what I did... The two colors I spent all that time mixing just to get them perfect would visually form a dark brown pinstripe line where they met. There was no brown line in reality, it was a trick of the eye. Idiot teacher gave me an "F" for using 3 colors until I handed him a magnifying glass... after that he gave me a higher grade and asked to keep the painting. I said "It's yours"

All a moot point, but this is the level of detail I'm talking about.

A test, or a reality check, if you will... Take your favorite shades of red and blue. Now mix them until you create violet/purple. Color wheel says this is possible... Be careful red is a very strong color so it's not going to be equal parts red and blue.

I'm the guy that's going to be able to tell you why the best you will get is maroon, if not just really ugly shades of brown. I've been doing this shyt since I was 7 or 8... That's well over 50 years ago.

Oh... and I no longer do "paintings" so I'm not an "artist" anymore. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Moonglow181

Well, that is just sad, TY...your fire....I know you have talked about it before. I did not know that it killed your joy to paint, too.

Of course, art comes in all forms...not the kind just on canvasses...and I know your home is your work in progress art, too.

11. Tyrsonswood

That fire killed many joys...

12. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

This makes me sad. I am sorry that happened to you.

13. Tyrsonswood

Thanks Ash... All we can do is attempt to move on.

Sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  14. OnaQuestfortheD

OnaQuestfortheD Neither Hip nor For 'em

In terms of sketching, it's good to start with a simple "frame" of what you're planning to draw/paint. Just get the positions of everything right first with quick little doodles, then add the details once you've got the setup just right. It's much easier than adding details first, messing up, then having to start all over again.

15. Ashalicious

Exactly. I can understand it taking a while to process and come to accept something like that though. For some reason, this quote sticks out in my mind right now.

"Service which is rendered without joy helps neither the servant nor the served. But all other pleasures and possessions pale into nothingness before service which is rendered in a spirit of joy."

Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

16. Ashalicious

This is good advice. Thank you. I've been working on doing basic sketches and then adding color. I love playing with color so much more than sketching and adding shading. It is all good practice though.

1 person likes this.
  17. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

I could list a ton of tips like they'd teach you in Art 101. But, they're sort of like learning scales in music. You practice the musical scales until you're bored into a coma and it becomes second nature but creating music isn't about scales. They're just the building blocks of music that you can ignore whenever you like, once you've mastered them.

Same thing for art tips. Most of them are 'scales'. Things like: Never put your primary focal point in the dead center of the canvas. They'll use words like 'NEVER' but what they really mean is... composition is easier if you don't... and you can ignore this admonition any time you like, if you have the skill to pull it off.

or something like:

Odd numbers work better than even numbers.. For instance, if your painting has seagulls flying off in the distance... 3 or 5 of them will work better than 2. I don't know why this seems to be true but I've found it to be so... for the important aspects of a painting. The focal points. And, of course.. I ignore this rule/'scale' quite often.

In a realism study.. you aren't painting the object. You are painting the light that dances in and around that object and any light that bounces off of it. Paint the highlights and shadows and secondary lights and the object will create itself from that interplay. (that one may be an important scale to learn if you are drawn to realism)

Cooler colors will recede and warm colors tend to come toward the viewer.

See what I mean? Art tips are meant to be used or ignored at your pleasure. But learning them will help you grow as an artist to the point where your own creativity will explode and you'll say 'fuck your rules'... and you'll create your own style.

And some truly blessed artists simply 'know'. They don't need practice. They don't need rules or tips or 'scales'. In fact, their art often runs totally counter to any such conformity. I wasn't such a prodigy. Practice, practice.. throw away work after work until I began to see something that gave me joy.

1 person likes this.
  18. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Draw at least one thing from life each day. Subject and a small section of background, and look for creative ways to merge the supposedly separate elements.

19. poolman745

poolman745 Members

Fuckin true that. Go GREY!

20. poolman745

poolman745 Members

Art is not learned its felt. I can pick up just a #2 and go to town for hours. Just get lost in it. Its worth it. Feels good!