The Lost Generation Of Deadheads

Discussion in 'Grateful Dead and Phish' started by lenini56, Jul 6, 2015.

1. lenini56

lenini56 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I feel more sad towards fans like me ages 30-15 who will never get to see them live in our lifetimes. We feel to have been deadheads at the wrong time and will never experience the best things those in the past did like hang out at "the lot scene" and the vibe which true fans truly claim "there's nothing like a Grateful Dead show". Also we face humiliation from the older fans telling us to "move the fuck on" or even ridicule us more when we see bands like Phish, SCI, Widespread Panic and other jam bands. Give us a fucking break, we too love the dead's music as much as the generations before did and we attend the gigs of the other bands mentioned previosly just to have a little taste of the dead's vibe were all about! We should call this latest generation of deadheads after one of dead's songs "The ones that went to 'Hell in a Bucket'" or better "the lost generation of deadheads". I felt it would have been better for the band to do a summer farewell tour which could have been the proper way to say goodbye and retire in peace and also gave the latest generation of deadheads a sample what the older generations experienced back then that would have left a special place in their hearts of what the band were truly about. A band representing the true vibe of the hope of peace, love and unity.

PS: At least I saw Furthur 8 and a half times and it was the closest thing to dead gig in my mind. (unless you count the The Dead reunion show I saw in 2009)

2 people like this.
  2. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I just hope the crowds continue growing and don't start to dwindle with The Dead planning to retire. I'm sure they'll still be doing side projects. Honestly though, I could care less about seeing the 'actual' Dead play. Paying upwards of $300 just to have bragging rights, whatever. There will still be 'grateful dead family' at tribute shows and things like that, but I don't care much for that either. I've seen a lot of people given a hard time, even harassed and worst case scenario hassled and beat on just for the simple fact they were wearing a pin with wings that has some certain 'mythical' meaning behind it.

Not sure if you know about the meaning behind wings and pins and all that, but in my opinion, I think it's garbage. It causes conflict and brings a certain level of stereotypical judgement into what's SUPPOSED to be a peaceful and loving community of music lovers and like-minded individuals. That's my take, and if anyone wants to change my mind about that, speak your mind. I'd love to hear your reasoning behind it.

It's true the old 'heads' give the younger crowd a hard time a lot, but as time has gone on, you don't really see the older generation (by which I mean people that attended during the 80s. People older than that seem not to really give a shit about such trivial aspects. Their roots are deeper and most just want to spread their wisdom and help others, which I truly respect and pay attention to.)... You don't really see the generation from the (very) late 70's and 80's going to tribute shows any more. But there are a few that have respect for the younger crowd and realize they're making way for those of us that are going to be around to take over. Of course, I don't mean forcefully, but simply how heritage works, for lack of a better word.

There are PLENTY of young cats out there tho who are in need of direction and DO need that kick in the ass to get themselves back on the curb where they belong. Might sound harsh, but being a bystander and observing, experiencing, and learning the way of the world keeps your ass in 'uh-the scene' and out of fricken trouble.

I could go on and on, but like anyone, I have my own opinions on things and, for me, tribute bands are the way to go. You learn a lot more that way. The people on stage are less like idols on a pedestal and have more human qualities. They can actually take their time to hang out with people in the crowd and you can feel how much they really do appreciate you being there. It's one big awesome circle. You enjoy being there, listening to the music and having a great time. Without them you wouldn't be there. They enjoy playing for us and being there to do so. Without us, they wouldn't be where they are. And you really can feel it. To me, that is awe-inspiring.

Skumzin and lenini56 like this.
  3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I know what you mean. I was too young when Jerry died and I didn't have the heady parents who were taking me to shows. But I still consider myself someone who lives a Deadhead way of life being kind and enjoying the good things. I did make it to Cali for Fare Thee Well but I consider that about as much the "Grateful Dead" as the tour in 09 or the Wave That Flag tour. It's a nice tribute but no Jerry. But I know plenty of older Heads who scoff at anything post 95 or in some cases even the 90's.

The lots I found at Furthur seemed to have a slight taste of what a real Dead lot was. I've never been hugged by so many random people and I've been to Phish, Panic, Biscuits, plenty of other jam music.

I too have seen people get beaten for not earning their wings. Innocent people who I guess liked the symbol but they notice. That's not right at all real family does not care. They know who is who. The problem is that it's been many years on lot. The old school guys have retired they don't oversee the production and distribution like they once did. When Jerry died they all said A. we are old. B. It's over and that's when the younger people who scream GDF and are so obvious about it take over. It's done for money not some higher calling and that's how some people take it too far. But I've met some GDF that had a good idea of what its all about. They even admitted that the "drainbows" will always attach themselves to a positives scene like the Dead. You just have to worry about yourself and not do what they do.

2 people like this.
  4. Terrapin2190

I haven't heard that term before. "Drainbows"

I guess it's just me or a small handful of people I can't seem to find lol, but I don't get why so many people just stick to that phrase. "Jerry died, it's over."

It's unfortunate that he died, but in my opinion a lot of things have gotten better since then. He was merely a front-runner. Leading the way for others. One of my favorite albums is "Without A Net" and I feel a lot of what the Dead did with The Other Ones captured that essence and enhanced it. Some shows were far below greatness, but when it was good... it was REALLY good. Phil Lesh and Friends seemed to have taken that sound and enhanced it further with less room for errors.

But, as I was saying... Jerry's death was unfortunate and inevitable, but he broke ground for so many different artists. Then and now. Even today, 20 years after his death, look how great the following is for the band and how many tribute bands there are out there. Not only that, but jam bands in general participating in their own music festivals and playing gigs locally. That's what I love.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

There is life after Dead.
    It doesn't have to be Phish, although Trey got some serious respect on this run.
    I'm lukewarm about him, and I was very impressed at how he handled the tribute to Garcia's sound without being a Jerry clone. I heard Trey's esthetic, sound and vibe coming through very clearly.
    As one bumper sticker put it, every silver lining has a touch of Trey. Sure that comment can go either way, positive or negative, but I saw and heard the positive. A mature, steady player with his own sense of the songs.

Here is what a lot of people, especially music journalists (ahem) don't get- the Grateful Dead and the projects, the other jam bands, even easing into trance, are not the SOURCE, but the CHANNEL.
    Hell, music is a channel.

I've been chasing the ecstasy in music since I was six and I saw visions during a folk set.
    I was 25 before I learned that what I saw (and I mean physically, without any chemical enhancements) was actually a wiring in my brain that crossed sensory perception. For me, psychedelics +music is almost an overdose. Which keeps my costs down, for sure. I get to eat half as much to go twice as far. I am a lightweight, on top of that.
    Music is the nudge. I get all the crossover, in, say, traffic, but it isn't fun.
    As for the ecstasy, I've had it flow, usually in nature, but also from movement, being in spaces where others channel their own ecstasy, (think houses of worship, art galleries - and studios, even during political protests with a positive hope), and also in sensory deprivation tanks.

As for finding it in music,I'm always searching for the sound. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. drumminmama

As for projects v the GD, the only thing I really, truly miss in the projects, including the Rhythm Devils shows, is Drums. Those two together make something special.

Either on their own hungers for the synergy they create together.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I guess the whole movement will be a small footnote 50 years from now. I know the sound of an acid smile. Also that capitalism absorbs,contains and changes any movement for it's own benefit. Especially those that desire real peace and change. Sadly, it appears as if we may have been a one-off. Good music. Nice shirts. Way of the world.

8. drumminmama

Well, what's the footnoted music that got edged out 50 years ago?
    Pete Seeger? Surf rock? Improv jazz and its descendants are still going...

1 person likes this.
  9. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

Just seek adventure and good times. Thats what their music is all about, that free spirit residing in us all! Yeah the parking lot scene would have been too badass to handle, but we have to start a new adventure! Maybe the band will stick with the Dead and Company and hopefully tour around. But if not, we shall start a new journey!:)

1 person likes this.
  10. Terrapin2190

I love the way you put it. That's the feeling I get when I go to a show. Whether it be a full-fledged adventure with hundreds or thousands of people enjoying the sights and sounds of nature, music and communion between fellow human being with similar interests at a campout or attending a local show and having the ability to close my eyes and venture through the depths of my own mind to places I've never been before. It's always an adventure and a great time for me.

Can't say that for some others who are more drama-prone. That's what I mean about the wings too. Now, not everyone I've known who have 'earned their wings' are total douche canoes, but a large majority of them feel like they're entitled... or they have some sort of seniority over others just because they did something or are closer to members of the band. In my eyes, that ruins the experience for all parties involved. Instead of looking down and lifting people up, sharing their experience or the gifts bestowed upon them, they're more worried about their ego and/or this mental picture they have of themselves. Instead of meeting really cool people and going 'hey, the band is doing an acoustic after-party over here. You should come with!' Most times, it's more of a cold shoulder. Something along the lines of a snarky, untrusting look and 'I don't know you. Why are you hanging around still?'

I've caught better and more plentiful vibes from those that aren't making it their life's mission to climb some ethereal ladder of popularity. And from other people who are there for their very first time!! Of course, I'm more of an introvert and have moderate social anxiety, so my views very well could be biased.

Nice responses in here. Glad this thread is staying alive! Little by little, but still. Love hearing other people's views.

1 person likes this.
  11. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

Anytime I hear them jam I just picture myself on the on another adventure, but in an american sense of adventure. Like how I feel that same adventure but with a more medieval feel to it. I don't know, its weird how music can make you feel a certain way, but i feel like as a musician you try to transcend time and space with these feelings you get from each song.

12. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

Like how I feel the same adventure but with a more medieval feel to it when i listen to Zeppelin.* lol

13. drumminmama

Wings are available online. No earning.

14. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm really lucky in that my partner was around during the height of the dead and has shared it with me.
    Deadheads aren't dead.
    Shakedown street is still awesome.
    Dead and Company carry on the legacy.
    We are everywhere! Still!

15. Skumzin

Skumzin Members