Is Comedy In Trouble?

Discussion in 'People' started by Karen_J, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Kevin Hart and Aries Spears are two black guys that I think are pretty funny.

Also....Louis C.K. will never give into pressure to be politically correct. I love that guy! He has the balls to say anything he wants and he does.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Kevin hart is like the worlds whitest black guy though.

They are right not many edgy black comedians around anymore. Hart is funny though, that Get Hard movie was pretty good, and he manages to upstage Ferrell.

It is a little annoying no one seems to be able to do gay jokes anymore

3. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

Kind of a gay joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

Louis CK is funny... the child molester jokes were a bit to far, but I still laughed my ass off.....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I wish Mitch Hedburg was still alive.

3 people like this.
  6. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

I listen to comedy channels on my car radio all the time. But I do believe political correctness is changing comedy.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've never followed comedy religiously but my favorite comedians have always been the ones who can cut to the heart of stereotypes and turn them on their head, turn them into a big ol cosmic joke. If a comedian can't do that there really isn't a point.

I miss Dave Chappelle. Is he still doing stand up?

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I enjoy that Aussie-Jim Jeffries. And Eddy IZZARD.

Man, we sure need George Carlin for this election cycle!

9. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, comedy is in trouble. I miss the days of Archie Bunker and George Jefferson. Good humor for a good reason. Now people are too serious and shit that ain't shit.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Word.

And if this doesn't cause trouble for comedy as a whole, some overly PC people in the audience or some easily offended loser won't either. Personally I have never digged Seinfeld a lot on stage anyway (didn't take notice of everything I'm sure but still). It's the show where it's at in his case.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

With Seinfeld, the stand up bits before and after the show were funny, but they had to be because they were only a minute or so. I can't remember watching a full routine of his but I do believe his sense of humor is similar to mine. Very sarcastic is pointing out the obvious in ways that make ourselves laugh.

12. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

Never cared for Seinfeld stand up or the show as with Friends or any of those shows in the 90's, except the X files ( first 3-5 yrs after that, kinda lame)

Yes it is in trouble by the PC, religious and any ethnic group.

Anyone remember Eddie Murphy dressing up as Whitey in those SNL skits as he goes to the bank and they give him all the money he wants cause he is white lol classic stuff.

But I always like comics that could just run with whatever was happening, no writer just of the top of his/her head. Robin Williams, Bill Hicks, Rodney Dangerfield, Joan Rivers, E Murphy, KInnison. Although for Robin Williams, I need to be in the Williams mood, he can sometimes grow increasingly annoying lol

not a fan of Feminism in comedy (simply not funny at all) or when the first line is " O.k, So I was talking to my Gay Friend the other day" and toilet humor, although funny, there is no room on the professional stage level.

13. Oriolepark

Oriolepark Members

Chris Rock is dumb. Jasper Redd is funny.

14. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Amy Schumer and Jon Stewart are very "politically incorrect" And they are great on the comedy channel. Steven Cobert is taking over the Tonight Show next month. But SNL is really sucking these days.

1 person likes this.
  15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I don't know how much SNL sucks these days, because it went off the suck meter a long time ago and I haven't seen a reason to give a second chance since then.

Amy Schumer, Jon Stewart, and Steven Colbert could only be described as "politically incorrect" only if "politically incorrect" is defined as never saying anything offensive to gays, racial minorities, and feminists, or to the left in general.

I have to admit to not seeing much of their comedy, but what I've seen seems to fit that. It's part of why I avoid television in general. I don't want to have someone's political/social agenda shoved down my throat.

2 people like this.
  16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Saturday Night Live is a tradition only and has deteriorated to stupidity. They take a subject that may be slightly funny and MILK IT TO DEATH.

I don't know why anyone would bother,these days. ( and ANYTHING WITH A LAUGH TRACK. I think writers ---LAZY writers- depend on them and don't really take the time to write intelligently. A stupid doody-poopy joke and they pipe in a bunch of braying jack-asses that were probably recorded back in the 50s or 60s.)

17. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Commercials are the worst for having shit shoved in your brain. But Amy , Jon and Steven all make fun of all of those issues. One of Amy's lines was she has two holes. The front is for cut guys and her pooper is for the uncut. But people can make fun of those issues without being offensive. Jon makes fun of Jews a lot, and he's Jewish. He's not afraid to make fun the stupid shit all of those groups do. Same with Steven....but he might have to tone it down now that he's on CBS. When he had his show on Comedy Central, he sarcastically pretended to be a conservative republican, and was always making fun of liberals.

18. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I don't know about the worst, I agree that they suck

Which is sexually explicit, but not funny. I guess if you were a really anti-sex feminist, you might find it offensive. A woman talking about sex publicly might also be seen as resisting "slut shaming", so there is really not much there to offend anyone on the left.

I don't know what he has said to make fun of Jews, but if he has, I suppose it would be at least marginally un-pc

My impression is that he was making fun of conservatives by pretending to be one. What exactly did he say that made fun of liberals?

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I watched Amy Schumer's show on comedy central and thought it was not bad at all at first. But now I am already getting tired of her comedy as it is getting very repetitive and old real fast. The subject(s) of a comedian is rarely the most important, it is if it's funny or not. Really funny. Maybe if someone doesn't watch a lot of comedy they can enjoy Schumer's stuff for a while longer, but to me it is too much of the same thing. I agree that making fun of society's issues can be great humor but wether comedy is politically correct or not is secundary. Not all good comedy is politically incorrect and not all politically incorrect comedy is good. It can be a great way to attract a certain kind of audience of course.

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

For the moment, the crown of political comedy has passed to John Oliver on HBO. So many other people are off for the summer or in transition between jobs.

HBO wants Jon Stewart to do something for them, after he's enjoyed some time off. Whatever he's willing to do, weekly, monthly, four times a year, they want him. I would love to see him uncensored.

SNL needs some new writers, and they need to adjust their game plan to compete with Comedy Central, which has taken over so much of their turf.

But getting back to the OP, I wonder if the average age of comedy viewers in general is rising significantly. I know that wasn't the case with Jon Stewart. He drew a lot of young people into higher political awareness. I hope the new guy can keep it going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.