Is Comedy In Trouble?

Discussion in 'People' started by Karen_J, Jun 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I still think Noah is doing a good job. But----yeah, John Stewart was the greatest...

What's Samantha Bee's show called again? I thought it was going to start later in the year.

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Full Frontal.

I think the latest episode was number four.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Oh---that's right---how could I forget that...?

I'll have to check the previous episodes on Xfinity

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't get why people find Jimmy Fallon so hilarious! The best thing about his show is The Roots and they're not even great because of anything humorous.

1 person likes this.
  5. jfast94

jfast94 Members

Thank you! I hate Jimmy Fallon, always have. He somehow smirked his way into success. Was he ever funny?

6. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I didn't even like him on SNL, except at the Weekend Update desk with Amy.

He sucks at interviewing people.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't find any of the nightly hosts to be extremely funny, at all. Usual political digs etc.

I like skit shows instead, or simply, every day folk in the world that do dumb stuff and hurt themselves that make the top 20 funniest countdown. That's where your comedy is these days. For me anyway.

I just don't really find stand ups to be that entertaining or funny. I don't think I've ever laughed at a female stand up, they come across too filthy with a tactic to try and shock the audience with rubbish.

I just think in general, everything has been made fun off and the only new material is from political speeches and that kind of humor is only laughable to an audience that doesn't agree with that political agenda. Like, you aren't going to LMAO at a Hillary joke if you're voting for her, right?

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I can laugh at Bernie's hair and still vote for him. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If you can laugh about a joke at your own expense (very good trait) why not about a joke at the expense of your fav candidate :)

It can even be nasty, the key thing in a joke is that it has to be funny. If it is just nasty or mean or made with ill intent... yeah than people won't laugh :p

10. jfast94

jfast94 Members

There have been a few good female stand ups. Kulap Vilaysack and Shelby Fero are good, young comics now. Never really liked Amy Schumer though, too played out.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

because lorne michaels told them to. obviously he's a witch. he's built a career on putting horribly unfunny people on tv, and magically making the general public believe that those people are hilarious.

12. Long_HairHippie

Long_HairHippie Member

Doug Stanhope is pretty funny I think.

13. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

With movies like GhostBusters the reboot being released I'd say yes, big time.

2 people like this.
  14. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

In my opinion the '90s were the best time for comedy, in my lifetime anyway. You had Letterman and Leno (and Carson before him), Jerry Seindfeld, and Saturday Night Live had a great cast (I loved Chris Farley and Phil Hartman). The Simpsons were getting good also.

The Simpsons is still around but it's gone downhill. I can't really say that I have an opinion about Colbert, I just haven't watched since Letterman's departure, but I agree that Jimmy Fallon is horrible; he just makes me cringe. [​IMG]

15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm sure comedy is going to be fine.

Humor on the other hand... DeadMeat!

16. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Yes Chris Farley was awesome. I loved the Motivational Speaker sketch. Patrice O'Neal was great too. Now comedy sucks, especially Steve Harvey. Kevin Hart is so so.

17. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

There haven't been legitly racist jokes since the 40s. It's not because of the history. You can't make fun of Hispanics or Muslims. No history there.

So then why would it be acceptable to make fun of women a la Andrew Dice Clay? Because we're weak? Because of the lack of a violent reaction?

18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

A man in a van down by the river. :D [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Memn1984

Memn1984 Members

Also remembered about this part :D

20. MaGeR-ZkareJ08

MaGeR-ZkareJ08 Members

Personally, this aspect of pc-ness and shite/outdated material isn't purely about relevancy of the times - there are, like an earlier post said, something about age difference (e.p. referenced music at this contextual x2) but it's deeper than that, and can be blamed not on "the relevancy of the material" or "campus logic" {i'm in U.K., our campus thing, in translation, for distance and space, doesn't seem as relevantly important, but does have a point...}, but a joke or line couldn't be taken everywhere, with the same reaction....

and in support of this, someone said most comedians are wannabee rockstars, rockstars are outperformed comedians, too vibrant for comedy. With this you know, there are some gigs that rock, some gigs that shake the cornerstone, and some gigs that just suck, in a way or in another few.

Comedians keeping relevant is just the same for any performer.Whether getting the vulgar, extreme giggles, or just providing a chuckle here and there, someones always there who wants to be. Mountain Valley Wolf; Challenging racism is everyone's job, sometimes juxtaposing the rules {check aziz ansari, great comediean} but knowing your own relevancy, more than a performer, but the persona your gigs attract, that would be a key. And, for god' sake, can someone, please, how ever many times i ask, give me a clue about the structure of american football?!lol i've never understood, junior/high/college football, then onto state?y/n, then, is it two different league types? I say "league" with an air of liberacy flowing through my veins, but, in Rugby - there is league, and union....i don' get that, seperate thing from comedy, and in no way humourous, but just a touch of limey naievety might give credence to a few chuckles...hmmm, btw, any people amused by shrooms etc, try youtubing chucklevision, it was trying to be entertainment to early morning youth, i found it exponentially iritating every show.

>xNitex>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.