I Am Terrified Of Thunderstorms!

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by audrey_the_endotherm, Jun 21, 2015.

1. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Hide your belly button or Raijin will take it away. Bwahahahaha!!!

2. As somebody who is autistic and also has Sensory Processing Disorder i don't like thunderstorms either.
    But i've learned that i can distract myself from them by playing with my dog over at my parents place or patting my kitty who will start purring every time i pat him.
    Used to have another dog who was into playing fetch. He would try to distract me by bringing his footy to me and wanting to play fetch.

3. DeeLee1950

DeeLee1950 Visitor

Hey do not be embarrassed, there are many of us that are afraid of thunderstorms (even animals) I however have learned to try to putter around with the tv on or radio and so far my fear has eased some. I use to sit in the corner of the sofa, close all the curtains, and wait till it was over before I could move. Now I laugh a bit at how I use to be. I really think finding a distraction helps and it takes time to get use to being able to not fear the storms as much.

bry75 likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Thunderstorms are cool...

GLENGLEN likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Still, this.

6. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I worked in the field for the US Forest Service in WI, I saw some examples of the power of lightning. One time I came upon a large White Spruce that ha been reduced to a pile of toothpick sided splinters by a strike. Another time a strike hit a small aspen about 50feet off a road and excavated a trench about 2 feet deep along a root out to the road. Now live in Western WA State and thunderstorms are very uncommon...only a few per year.

7. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

really? where do you live?

8. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

I enjoy sitting by an open window with a hot drink during a thunderstorm.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  9. Its really simple to deal with, just a shift in focus is needed. instead of focusing on the external things, ground yourself within. I used to feel shocked too when something like if i hear a very loud sound unexpectedly, i'd jump like others. then when i started mediating, something really really weird started to happen, No matter what happens, like whatever crazy thing happen unexpectedly, everybody else jumps, but not me. I am 100% grounded. i don't feel panic. As long as i can be in a meditative state that is. The key is to realize, you are watching the world, you are watching your body, you are watching your emotions and thoughts and feelings of the mind, you are watching it, Whatever you can watch, cannot be you. all it takes is this realization. A shift in focus happens, do not try to feel what is you, You are you, consciousness that is being conscious of all these things. Center yourself that way. ground yourself to the center. watch it as if its not you you are watching, like 3rd person you are watching these things happen, Everything around. Consciousness is being Conscious of it. just keep this and you won't be scared anymore, ever again. Every time you worry/panic/feel afraid, Center yourself. And you will be fine :)

DrRainbow likes this.
  10. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Weird... did not get a notification on this. Anyway you never get thunderstorm? They're one of life's coolest gifts. :(
    They really show off the full force of what is in our atmosphere

11. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

Maine has the fewest severe thunderstorms, on average, for any state east of the Mississippi River. Being the easternmost state and having Atlantic Ocean influence helps.

I still remember the tornado by Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks, CT. October 3, 1979. I was 8 years old. Third grade. About 20 miles south in New Britain, the weather was nearly as ugly. The sky was pretty much greenish/black. Had a flash flood 2 blocks west of my house. My mother pulled this terrified kid out of school early that day.

Then came June 1, 2011 and Springfield, MA tornado. I still remember the mamattus clouds that evening in central CT. Scared knowing how much worse it was only 35 air miles to my north.

Regular t-storms don't bother me much...IF it's during the day.

☔⚡

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I remember that Massachusetts tornado outbreak in 2011.

Fortunately the Tornado died out somewhere over Stockbridge before entering eastern Massachusetts. Still the complex of storms dropped so much rain in such a short period of time,
    everyone at work rushed to the nearest window to take a look at the deluge.

13. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

The one which ravaged Springfield had a life to as far east as Charlton, MA. It also crossed I-84 near mile 6. You can still see damage off to the side today (on the right heading east/north).

Getting back to Windsor Locks, CT and 1979 again. This was a look back from WFSB-TV (CBS) channel 3 of Hartford, CT. Sadly, the anchorwoman seen here, Denise D'Ascenzo, would pass away only two months later. :cry:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  14. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, thunderstorms are not funny. As an infant I spent some months in India and was there during the monsoon. I saw several people struck and killed by lightning, so I have a very healthy respect for thunderstorms.