Smoking Weed Before Battle

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BongSolo, Jun 16, 2015.

1. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

I consider myself a pacifist (weed not war) but I also understand I am one person among differing human experiences and perspectives. I respect the soldier as much as I respect my fellow pacifists because we all serve a purpose and we all have our own perspectives. That being said, I was pretty surprised by this article I read about Afghan Troops toking up before battle. It doesn't seem like it helped them or anything, but what do you think the psychology is here? Do you think they just assumed they were going to die so they may as well try to get a touch of euphoria on the way out? The article's taken from a site called Funker 530.

Afghan National Army troops are seen here getting ripped during lulls in the fighting. One stoned clown goes out from cover, fires his rifle off like he’s never held one before, and subsequently, the magazine is shot out of his AK by supposed Taliban fire. He returns to cover giggling. I’m not anti-pot, and that good Afghani hash would be hard to pass up, but there is a time and place for it, and in the middle of a life or death battle where being on your A-game is essential is not one of those times. This video is a good example of what Western troops have to deal with when deployed and also a demonstration of why these countries will continue to fail. They just don’t care.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I also don't care that Afghans get blazed before battle.
    Not one care in the world. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I wouldn't imagine that it would help their fighting ability.

1 person likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well the Vikings used to eat those shrooms on the voyage from Norway to the Emeral Isle. The depiction of the Berserker, naked warrior without fear charging off the dragon ship into battle was probably due to poisonous and hallucinogenic shrooms picked out of Norway. Lots of accounts of violently sick Norseman on those journeys. Also blood was charged with Rhodeola Rosea too and I know that stuff can have a physical effect on me in high concentrated doses.

The moral of that story is... drugs didn't effect the performance of Vikings too much...they weren't happy drugs though I guess.

1 person likes this.
  5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

You know an astronomical number of guys came back from Vietnam pot smokers and heroin addicts.
    Did you ever hear of "whites" or "crosstops", those tiny little white methamphetamine tablets, well the U.S. government were the first to use them in WWII and every G.I. was issued a little container of speed tablets along with his pack of smokes and Hershey's bar. They continued that up into the Vietnam war. As a matter of fact I remember around 1972-74 buying little steel containers with a screw top that held like 10 or 20 tablets of speed and they were military issue.
    You will find a considerable amount of drug usage by troops in war going back as far as history has been recorded.
    Don't go being so naive to think that western troops aren't also getting shitfaced as well.

I think I would want a good supply of top grade weed with me if I were in that situation.
    Just the right dose of shrooms or LSD would be fine also, ya know, just enough to fine tune the sense without fucking up your thought process, I imagine about 50 mics of LSD or 1/2 gram of shrooms.
    100 milligrams of mescaline could also work, really good to enhance hearing. ;)

and would definitely need some quality pharmaceutical speed as well, for those long night battles and shit.

5 people like this.
  6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I would also venture a guess that their level of training probably has as much or more to do with their incompetence as being stoned does.

2 people like this.
  7. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I think it would be a lot cooler to just stay home and do the drugs, but that's just me. :)

4 people like this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

From all the books I read about the Middle East conflicts, they always state that the fighters over there think they're Rambo and shoot from the hip. I read that not many of them know really know how to aim and single fire for accuracy can they just full auto from the hips. :D which is only good for suppressing fire and then a sharp shooter takes them out at distance. :)

9. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

I'd heard about military experiments with various drugs during Vietnam (movies like Jacob's Ladder popularized that to some degree too) but I hadn't heard of the Vikings ingesting hallucinogenics prior to battle. I guess it all depends on how the individual soldier/warrior reacts to the drug. Again, I'm not really a fighter so if you handed me a gun, I doubt I'd be effective anyway but I feel like a huge hit prior to a firefight would probably get me killed. Granted I'd probably die happy lol

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I've read that zulu warriors used to get high of pot or hash as well as preparation before battle. They were quite feared in their day. And at least once grossly under estimated by the british imperial army :D

1 person likes this.
  11. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

Interesting about the Zulus - you know, I do have to admit that I can get pretty focused if I smoke the right strain. I'm just drawing pictures, not exactly armed combat, but still there may be something there.

12. Asmodean

Maybe in armed combat too. Who knows, if you haven't tried :p

1 person likes this.
  13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I heard the same. They may have mixed it with some other herb from what I read, possibly some kind of deliriant(atropine?). They also used to dance for hours before battle to get themselves into fighting mode.

The Zulu defeat of the Brits at Isandlwana in 1879 was the worst defeat inflicted on a European army by a native force - so it obviously worked on that occasion.

1 person likes this.
  14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rWnQphPdQ

2 people like this.
  15. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

LOL Tyrsonswood, they're lucky that turned out to be a good trip for everyone!

16. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Allah curse them

1 person likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Check out the movie Jacobs ladder. It's fiction though ;) and quite scary.

1 person likes this.
  18. BongSolo

BongSolo Members

I love that picture, Sleepy Cat! Slo Motion Rider, I love Jacob's Ladder! I saw it a bit late - probably sometime around 1999 - but it really freaked me out!

19. Asmodean

Me too :p I rarely freaked out to this extent by a movie! Except maybe when I saw It as a little kid :(

1 person likes this.
  20. AstralBear

AstralBear Feed the Bear

I was never a soldier, but before I became a pacifist and in my youth, I competed in unsanctioned underground street fights. I would smoke some uppy weed (Sativa) to get jacked up and focused for the fights. People who fight, whether it's with fists or bombs have a different psychology than a pacifist. That also applies to the psychology or altered perceptions. A pacifist may enjoy a flower or some art while stoned, but a fighter would enjoy painting the ground red with blood and cracking jaws while stoned.

Inflicting violence no longer brings me joy (12 years now that I have not harmed a soul), and I highly attribute my years of habitual Cannabis use (Both sativa and indica) with transforming me into a pacifist.

1 person likes this.