Hip Forums 4.0 Coming!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

is that crazy squirrel still doing that? :biker:

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

a proper tuck is in order for the hot lesbians..

1 person likes this.
  3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't know, this seems to me like the kind of abuse that people are referring to for the old rep system. if you can't give someone a neg rep without fear of retaliation, what's the point of giving a neg rep in the first place?

i assume a majority of those people are spam-bots that never actually post their spam for whatever reason.

4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, I would not know. i never gave neg rep in the first place nor am I advocating for it. I did not get it alot, but mainly it was mean spirited when I did get it for a differing opinion.....or something stupid.
    That made me fear expressing any opinions that much anymore, too, or opening up or even talking some times...usually neg rep would come from people who had tons of good points and did not care if they lost any. I did not have many at the time. It was a new ball game i was not used to.
    So you tell me what is the point?

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

the way most people used it, it seemed like the point was to tell someone that they disagreed with an opinion. pretty much like the thumbs down option, when it existed.

yeah, there were some people that just used it to be dicks, but in my experience it was usually people saying "i don't think that's right."

6. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah the person getting the rep (positive or negative) can see who sent it but everyone else can't see what douchebags some people can be. I got a neg when I was new for what I can only assume is because the person doesn't like the same type of sexual activity as me. Made me wary to continue posting.

(Edited for better spelling)

7. Moonglow181

so it is for differing opinions ?...in your opinion?
    then why have a discussion about anything....with fear of a point system hanging overhead....it will become...yes, ma'am...yes, sir...whatever you say then.
    i won't bother if that is the case.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well ultimately i think the point was just for the hell of it. you know, just another feature that some people found fun. it's not like the rep actually meant anything. i'm just saying that differing opinions seemed to be the main cause of neg reps that i received.

1 person likes this.
  9. Moonglow181

I got one right off the bat for starting a birthday thread...bad me....so awful of me to do that.

10. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Thumbs up thumbs down may as well be the 5 stars of a thread. It's always the same people who neg rep. You have a conflict with people on forums and they never seem to forget. Well I do. :) because I'm not a piss ass loser. :) but others.. They'll hold a grudge for years. ;)

So in that sense, rating up and down threads is pointless because your fans give you a thumbs up and your enemies give you thumbs down and they won't even read it.

12. Moonglow181

yup

and we all know how kind everyone is here, too

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well its Twitter and Facebook nowadays, messageboard format is getting a bit old, a bit mySpace

Maybe new software thats more like Twitter than IPB is the way to go. All that scrolling does get annoying

And all the neg rep talk, Twitter is free of that.

Most of the site traffic here is for sex threads, deal with it

14. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I hated that old system. Sometimes I would go into a right winger thread, politely disagree with one aspect of their backward thinking, and come back later in the day to see, "0 out of 7 members like this post". Every time I posted in the Politics section, about the best I could hope for was "0 out of 3".

15. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I agree Karen...I get a lot of flack for disagreeing with backward thinking.... I feel the rep system was a great way to express incredulousness without having to write something and be accused of being mean....

also...there is a reason why certain people had massive amounts of reputation....it is because others gave it to us/them....

I am the culprit that pisses on birthday threads....they are juvenile and make the site look stupid

so do all the lame music type threads

enough is enough

bring back the reputation system

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

The way people do this now is for one person to post that they disagree, and then a bunch of people give points to them. It gets the point across. It works for me.

1 person likes this.
  17. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I said ''thumbs down''....I misspoke...I meant the rep system....I railed against the thumbs and thought they were also lame

and in regards to others ''liking'' for support....that happens...I get it....I do it....but I tend to get messy with my bluntness so generally others show support by staying out of the conversation at hand......jumping in only when it gets too heated

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I understand. :)

19. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I never gave out neg-reps for that reason. Never simply because I disagreed. I only did it if the person was spreading falsehoods, either because they were lying or because they didn't bother to fact-check what they were saying. People like that should have low reputations.

2 people like this.
  20. skip

skip Founder Administrator

1. Not true that traffic is down. 2500 ppl online at once is not "down" from anything.

2. Old Journals have been back for nearly a year now. Read the thread in this forum about it.

3. I doubt the rep system will be any different from what it is now, so stop speculating.