Hip Forums 4.0 Coming!

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Jun 15, 2015.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

yeah, me too .. but I can't edit other people's posts and delete it for them ;) Just wondering if it's my browser or something ... maybe it warrants further investigation.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Never tried that.
    I'm using firefox...but it's starting to piss me off. Getting a lot of scripting errors on some sites.

3. AceK

There's always the possibility that the scripts are just poorly written garbage, all the advertising code and the plugins to work around that just wastes CPU cycles ... it's like we're all working against each other instead of cooperatively in this capitalistic system. People write really bad code to give you lots of ads, people write pretty good code to eliminate the ad code from running, the advertisers get people to write more bad code to try to work around the ad blockers and they generally don't care about code quality or user experience quality. Browser feature portability isn't that great either from what I understand, so weird workarounds have to be implemented, sometimes the same feature has to be written with separate code for different browser families.

What a waste of resources huh!

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I find when posting or viewing from a computer the 's' doesn't matter but when on a mobile device it seems to be problematic.

5. AceK

i didn't know that computers and mobile devices were different things ... guess I learn something new every day ;)

6. slaveofthesystem

slaveofthesystem Members

Still need help to figure out why I can't use PM. I have over 20 posts and over 5 days. Help please

7. slaveofthesystem

slaveofthesystem Members

Still need help to figure out why I can't use PM. I have over 20 posts and over 5 days. Help please

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

There is another double post!!!

Did they send out some update that caused peoples browsers to malfunction??

Im seeing this all over the net..... Double posts,double line breaks,etc............ Anyone have an idea??

I reckon its some stupid update causing all this!

9. AceK

I reckoned that this guy might be trying to boost his post count so he can PM...

btw, a username mention feature, similar to user mentions in reddit would be a good feature to have. That way multiple users can be notified of a post, not just the one you reply to. Of course reddit is huge, and has way more code than this site. It can handle a lot, but sometimes goes 503 for a few minutes while every body is hitting F5.

10. slaveofthesystem

slaveofthesystem Members

For the record I only posted this 1 time. Obviously an issue I can't control. Same as not having pm even though I'm over all the requirements. Sorry guess I should just stop posting as obviously the issues I'm having aren't being corrected and now y'all are having an issue with it.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

double posts have been happening as long as forums have existed. it seems to be a byproduct of slow load times and information getting re-sent, although i have no actual evidence to support that.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No they haven't.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No they haven't.

14. AceK

probably a server error, the time delay between http request and server response is too slow, so browser sends a second request thinking that the first didn't get through due to network issues. somewhat like a "replay" ... though tbh i have no clue what causes it. if anyone had a clue, i'd assume that we wouldn't see it happening anymore ;)