Free Games!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Terrapin2190, May 31, 2015.

1. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I've been finding quite a few links to free Steam and Origin games lately. Some are great! Some are... well... more on the indie side of gaming. But I thought I'd share my findings in case there are some avid gamers around.

Mostly you'll just have to log in to the website via Steam and click redeem to receive a Steam Code. Others you'll have to register to the site. With Origin, they give out a new free game every month or so. I haven't seen a dedicated date for when they switch it, but you can download their free games with the Origin application.

On with it then!

Here's the main listing I go to for the latest info on free games.
    Most of the info I'll be listing is taken from these sites.

Who's Gaming Now?!

Daily/Weekly Freebies

Indie Gala
    New free Steam game just about every week. You just have to go to the 'Store' page and scroll down a bit. Enter your e-mail address and claim a Steam Key.

Game Giveaway of the Day
    New games every day on the weekends. Check here every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Steam's News Page
    You can catch a few freebies from time to time while rummaging through Steam's latest news updates.
    In order to redeem games on Steam, you'll have to create an account and download Valve's Steam client.

Origin - On the House
    EA gives away a free game through their Origin client which changes every month or so.

Miscellaneous Freebies
    (Forums, Forum Games, etc)

Reddit Steam Giveaways
    Random people giving away Steam keys and listing current freebies.

Humble Bundle Steam Giveaway Megathread
    Forum Games. Someone posts a Steam key with a riddle. Solve the riddle first and you get the game!
    Make sure to go to the last page for the most current giveaways (that people might not have taken yet).

Indie Gala Giveaways
    Not sure on this one. I think you play a flash game in your browser and rack up points. When you
    have enough, you can enter a drawing for whatever game you want.

Steam Gifts
    Steam Gifts is a nice little giveaway marketplace. Once you have a certain number of games on Steam (I think the prerequisite is $100 worth of games. Some freebie games add to that amount.) you can register here and get a replenishing number of points to enter into current giveaways. It's a neat website, though I haven't won anything as of yet.

GOG Forum
    Good Old Games! This place is really cool. There are a few giveaway threads in there and the people there are great.
    Not to mention, I urge you to support GOG (if you want to) because what they're doing is really cool.
    They provide DRM-free content. Meaning, you purchase the game and can install it on as many computers that you own, no strings attached and you don't need to download and log in to a gaming application to do so.
    Along with that policy, GOG made it to where gamers can purchase game codes as a gift and send them to other people over the internet as a kind gesture to others. I think it's a very unique idea and always check there first when thinking of purchasing a game in order to support what they do.

PC Gaming Forum
    Lists a nice big handful of games and the latest gaming tech news.
    There are also links to abandoned survival games and free games to download further down the page.

Feel free to post any free games you find as well.

Be sure to check out my Free Software thread for the latest news on software freebies and giveaways!

1 person likes this.
  2. Terrapin2190

Right now, if you go to DLH.net and register to the site, they give you 5 free Steam games.

They're pretty decent games too! Enclave, Knights and Merchants HD, and Pirates of Black Cove Gold are a few in the list.I'm

I'm not sure when this will end, so you may want to act fast. One of the games isn't available anymore. Or wasn't for me at least.

Just register, confirm your account (via e-mail), then click on 'Profile/Keys' and scroll down a bit.

3. Terrapin2190

Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones is at 100% discount right now!

--> http://whosgamingnow.net/discussion/3274/free-steam-key-stealth-inc-2-a-game-of-clones/p1 <--

[​IMG]

Because who doesn't want to play as this little bastard??
    (The original title for PC was/is Stealth Bastard... see what I did there?? :D )

It's a great game! Get it while you can!

(It also comes DRM-free! Which means you get a Steam key, standalone installer! Plus a groovy sountrack and desktop wallpaper.)

Ends August 31

4. Terrapin2190

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge is free on EA's Origin client right now. If you're a gamer and don't know of the epic C&C series, or you like Real-Time Strategy / fictitious strategic wargames, or you're a nostalgic gamer, you do NOT want to miss this. In my opinion, Red Alert 2 is the best (and final game in the series while Westwood Studios was still in command) game in the Command & Conquer series. It's completely free, no strings attached. All you have to do is download the Origin app, create an account (if you don't already have one. You can also use an account for Battlefield or other EA games on PS3/4 Xbox360/One if you have one already), download and play! And it's yours forever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is free on Steam right now as well as a professionally created mod based on the game, Penumbra: Necrologue. I haven't tried it yet, since my laptop died and it probably wouldn't handle the graphic requirements anyways, but it looks like a nice horror FPS.

I've been getting tons of other free games lately too. Earth 2150: The Moon Project and Lost Souls was free on DLH.net for a while there. Another nostalgia pick I used to play A LOT. Be sure to check in at WhosGamingNow?! for 'most' of the latest gaming freebies.

5. Terrapin2190

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee! Free on Steam! Reicht Meow!

Ends today... -ish

6. Terrapin2190

Shadow Complex is free right now. It's a B-list Indie game, I guess you would say? I saw it a while back and thought it looked pretty amazing. It's an older title that was on Xbox 360 that they just remastered in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6wGaDmIkQY

https://www.epicgames.com/shadowcomplex/

You'll want to click "Sign In" at the top right of the page and create a new account. Then go back to the page I have linked and click "Download Now." This will download the Epic Games Launcher. Install it, open it, sign in..... and I haven't quite figured out the rest yet...

Two Worlds GOTY (Epic) Edition is free on DLH.net right now. Another B-list classic. It was an RPG that rivalled Elder Scrolls: Oblivion at the time of it's release. I had a blast with it and still enjoy playing it. Bit of a technical RPG. Open world gameplay.

http://www.dlh.net

All you have to do is register with DLH, go to your profile and unlock your free Steam keys.

Two Worlds II is up for grabs there as well! I haven't played it yet, but it was a mainstream release on PS3.

http://www.dlh.net

Jade Empire: Special Edition is available right now on EA's Origin client. It's another RPG that's claimed to be one of the top 3 RPG's on the original Xbox. (Just below Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Fable)

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/free-games/on-the-house

Looks pretty good. I couldn't pass this one up. You'll just have to download the Origin client, register an account with them, then navigate to the 'On The House' section from within the Origin app.

7. Terrapin2190

Giants: Citizen Kabuto is free on GOG right now.

It's a classic game I remember seeing on PS2 I believe? Quality game.

Just go to http://www.gog.com and create an account.

Then scroll down on their main page (Click GOG on the top left) until you see the Giants: Citizen Kabuto area.

Click "Claim Gift" and it will be automatically added to your account.

You can view your purchased/claimed games by hovering over "Account" at the top and clicking on "Library"

GOG also has a few other games that are always free when you create a new account.

Treasure Adventure Game is a great free one worth downloading! It's sort of a Zelda-like game turned into an epic platformer. I highly, highly recommend it.

8. Terrapin2190

Before I go, wanted to also let everyone know about DLH.net.

They have quite a few quality games they give away on the Steam app. They change all the time and every now and then they'll do a limited time giveaway. I've gotten Enclave, Earth 2150 - The Moon Project, Earth 2150 - (something) Souls, and some other great ones.

Just go to http://www.dlh.net

Register a new account (don't forget to verify via e-mail) and click on Account/Keys at the top.

And don't forget to bookmark http://www.whosgamingnow.net if you're interested in the latest news on gaming freebies.

9. Terrapin2190

Thought I'd share a few freeware games since most (if not all) of the links above were temporary freebies.

Command & Conquer Gold / C&C95 is free along with a few other select Westwood Studios games. Westwood declared their first 3 games in the command & Conquer series as freeware before they were bought out by EA Games ( :bigcry: ). You can get the first 3 games in various 'flavors.' The CnCNet installers are the easiest to use, so I'll list those first. There are individual installers for Campaign / Story mode gameplay and for Online Play.

If you'd like to play the games more traditionally, there are a few other options I'll list below the CnCNet link. You might have to be a little tech savvy to install C&C95 traditionally, but they have their own installers and it's not too complicated. Just download and unzip music and video files into the game's folder basically covers it.

CnCNet Installers

Traditional Installers:

Nyergud's C&C95
    Red Alert1
    Tiberian Sun w Online Play / Tiberian Sun

There are also just a crap ton of mods for Tiberian Sun, most of which you can find on Moddb which are compatible with the Tiberian Sun Client (listed as Tiberian Sun w Online Play).
    There are mods for other games there as well! Especially Half-Life 2. Search away!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warzone 2100 is also freeware. Or sourceware? It was declared as freeware after it was bought by several companies I believe. The last person/company that bought it released the source code and the game was recompiled to run on more modern Windows systems. I think there's a Linux port as well?

PortableApps Games

The link is wayyy down at the bottom. All the games listed there are also portable. Meaning you can install them to a USB flash drive or hard drive and all the files it works with stay in that folder. When you want to get rid of it, simply delete the game's folder and all files pertaining to that installation are gone.

There are many useful apps there as well! Click on the Apps tab at the top and feel free to browse for anything that looks useful.

They even have a PortableApps Platform, which you install to a USB drive. Once you've installed it, it acts as a popup menu that contains all the portable apps you've installed to that USB drive. It's pretty darn neat!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've mentioned these two before in various threads. Here and elsewhere. These next two are fantastic games!

Transcendence is kind of reminiscent of Star Control II / The Ur-Quan Masters (which reminds me!! I'll link that too!). It's a space fighting / shooting / trading / exploring / modifying / grinding / survival... ... It's fricken cool. And there are an ungodly amount of mods that alter the gameplay mechanics and unlock features which normally aren't standard within the game. One of the things I think is also pretty cool is that the game knows when you're using mods. Any time you have mods activated that aren't official mods created by the developers, the game prevents you from uploading your score to the leaderboard.

Transcendence was recently Greenlit on Steam, but they still have a freeware version available on their website.
    So if you enjoy the game, be sure to buy the game on Steam OR purchase a few expansion packs on their website (if you prefer to be DRM-free)!!

[​IMG]

Transcendence
    Transcendence Mods

Wayward. I have spent many hours playing this game. In my opinion, it's the greatest 2D top-down survival simulation in the existence of mankind. Don't let the graphics fool you. There is SO MUCH CONTENT packed into this game! Most likely, you will die the first few times you play. The object of the game is simple. You're stranded on an island. You need to build some form of ship in order to travel back to safety. To build the ship though... you'll have to craft many, many things. You'll also have to take food and safe water into account as well as a form of shelter and something to defend yourself against wild beasts.

If you like Minecraft or Terraria... or remember an old game called Stranded 2, most likely you'll fall in love with this.

[​IMG]

Download: Wayward 1.9.2
    Play in browser: Wayward 1.9.3

Two more to add since I mentioned them already and ironically they're both similar to Wayward and Transcendence. (Mind blown)

The Ur-Quan Masters HD. This game is a remake of Star Control II released in 1992? With a fantastic graphical overhaul! Basically, you're trying to save the universe from 2 warring races of aliens. You'll also meet quite a few other races of alien (some nice, some... not so nice) along your journey depending on which paths you choose to take in the game. And provided you're able to find them. You'll mostly spend time exploring the universe, and YES the game is HUGE! I said universe! You'll also need to spend time visiting solar systems and individual planets within said solar systems in order to gather minerals to sell to merchants in order to upgrade your ship so that you can travel much greater distances and not get stranded in space or destroyed by passing vessels.

[​IMG]

Ur-Quan Masters HD

The game is also pretty hilarious at certain parts of the game.

Stranded 2. Ahh nostalgia. As if Wayward didn't look like a blast from the past, this game really is a blast from the past. Think Wayward in 3D. The developers really did a great job on this game. Once again you're Stranded on an island and you have to craft things in order to survive and try to find your way off of this rock. I can't quite remember much on the mechanics of the game. Graphics are severely outdated, but not bad at all if you have a place in your heart for nostalgia like me. You'll have to build shelter, gather food, find safe water to drink, fend of wild animals all while trying to build a raft or similar item to escape the beautiful island you're stranded on.

There are also a crap ton of mods for this game as well! I'm not sure if the Massive Mod (which adds about 1,000 new craftable items to the craft menu! [don't quote me on that]) was ever released in English. There was also another mod released not too long ago which comes with an installer and separate launcher for the game, which adds new items and improves the graphics substantially.

Anyways, have at it!

[​IMG]

Stranded 2
    Stranded Mods
    Stranded: The Survivalist

Stranded: The Survivalist is a stand-alone modification of the game. Meaning just download it, extract it to a new folder, click the game and off you go! I believe it's the old Massive Mod translated and upgraded. I think I'm gonna give it a run right now [:)]

Spelunky Classic! This game was released as an upgraded version on many platforms including Steam, GOG, PS3, Xbox360, etc etc. But! The first version they released is still available as freeware! There are many mods for this game as well! Basically, you play a 16-bit Indiana Jones type character. The game is classified as a rogue-like, so that being said... you will die. A lot. But don't get discouraged, the difficulty of the game is something that makes it so much fun and fast paced. One of those games you can play for 15 minutes or an hour or so. Most likely dying many times and having the urge to pick up your monitor and throw it out a window.

The objective is simple. 'Spelunk' your way through a cave, collect any artifacts you find and save the girls!! Avoid traps, do NOT steal from shopkeepers... unless you can run. Very fast. Or avoid him somehow... lay some traps or something to stop him from chasing you. Anyways, here!!

[​IMG]

Spelunky Classic
    Spelunky Classic Modification Compendium

That's it for now! I'll post back if I think of any others or come across more that are worth mentioning.

Here's more games!
    MajorGeeks Retro and Remakes Listing

10. Terrapin2190

DOS GAMES!!

If you're a fan of old classic PC games, there are quite a few old DOS games that have been released as freeware and still a TON of shareware games that you can play on the more modern Windows systems. I believe there are builds for Linux and Mac as well! And they have never been so easy to use!

DOSBox has been around for a long time now and the program itself has come a long way. There are a few options available.

First, you have the option to use either DOSBox Game Launcher (aka DBGL) or D-Fend Reloaded as DOSBox frontends.
    (What that means is that they are programs that display a menu and stores settings for the games which runs on top of DOSBox)

There are pre-configured game packages available to download on DOSBox Game Launcher's home page.
    These are then easily imported into DBGL or D-Fend.

First, download one or both:
    DOSBox Game Launcher
    or
    D-Fend Reloaded
    (There are also portable versions available)

Second, download any or all of the game packages located on DOSBox Game Launcher's home page.
    (There's also a link to their Google Drive where you can download them all at once. You can pick which individual games you want to import later on.)

Install DBGL and/or D-Fend.

If you downloaded all the game packages at one time from their Google Drive, you'll need to extract the contents of the OneDrive zip file to a folder. (They will be more zip archives. You do not need to extract those.)
    If you downloaded the game packages individually you're good to go.

Now open DBGL or D-Fend.

In DOSBox Game Launcher:
    [​IMG]
    Click 'Profiles'
    Click 'Import...'
    Navigate to where you downloaded the game packages and select one.
    Choose which games you'd like to install.
    Enjoy classic DOS games!

In D-Fend Reloaded:
    [​IMG]
    (Click OK)
    Click File > Import > Import Archive File...
    Navigate to where the game packages you downloaded are and select a package.
    You can now select which games you'd like to install.
    Enjoy classic DOS games!

The other REALLY cool thing about DBGL and D-Fend Reloaded is that they are both compatible with each other! If you look under 'Profiles' in DBGL, you'll see an option that says 'Import D-Fend (Reloaded) Profiles.' Once you have D-Fend set up how you want it, you can import all the games and their settings to DBGL, making the programs cross-platform.

Not only that, but they're the most user-friendly DOSBox programs that allow for just CRAZY amounts of customization.

Furthermore, if you have old DOS games you want to install, they can also grab game info (DOSbox game configuration, screenshots, game details) from MobyGames and TheGamesDB to make everything look and run very nicely.

11. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Classic 80's arcade is my favorite genre. All emulators are great fun, MAME of course and my favorite NES emulator is UberNES. It has online leader boards for some popular NES games.

Here's a great Donkey Kong Remixed game with new levels, runs in a MAME/MESS/COCO3 emulator, takes a bit to setup but worth it for any DK classic fan.
    http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?topic=1375.0

I've checked out some free to play Steam games; The Expendabros is a cool retro platform shooter. Also Rustbucket Rumble and StarBreak look interesting. Echoes+ is an alright clone of Geometry Wars meets Asteroids. I need to find more twin stick overhead shooters, their awesome. I also need to check out Gear Up and Robocraft.

12. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

If anyone's in the mood to play some Mario, there are dozens and dozens of custom remakes of New Super Mario Bros at Darkumbra.

Get yourself an account here and have a look at what's available: (You have to reply to each game thread to be able to download the games you want - You want to Download the WBSF versions and extract them to a folder for the emulator to open).

https://darkumbra.net/forums/forum/89-wii-customs/

Then you need the Wii emulator (Dolphin 5.0)

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?ref=btn

This emulator works great, you can setup any gamepad as a controller or you can connect with a real Wii remote if you have one and a PC with bluetooth.