Earworms - Thoughts And Relativity

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Terrapin2190, May 5, 2015.

?

Please note if you have/are any of the following:

1. ADD / ADHD

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A Musician

33.3%
  3. An Artist

33.3%
  4. None of the above

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I'm pretty sure I have that condition, where people can't sleep or think efficiently due to having a song stuck in their head.

It gets really bad at night. Sometimes I'm able to... "fragment" or scramble my thought process to where it sort of cancels itself out, but sometimes it's not so easy.

It's not like "Oh, doot-doot-doo. I've got this song stuck in my head" it's like the song is actually playing on a turntable somewhere in my mind and I can't turn it off, and it's almost always just a portion 'of' the song. I actually have to listen to something else before it will stop, and sometimes it's still able to creep back in :D Which brings to mind something I've always wondered about...

Is it possible that this condition is more prevalent in musicians or, as someone else noted, people that have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder?

This ought to be fun :)

Place any thoughts you have on this subject, even if you think it's garbage and shouldn't be classified as a psychological/neurological condition.
    Same with ADD/ADHD if you have any thoughts on that.

I included a poll for further elaboration on the subject. As always, if you wish not to share, that's fine too.

2. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Ear worms have driven me crazy for a long, long time. I think I am more prone to them because of my ADD.

Songs that I haven't heard in YEARS just pop into my head randomly, out of the fucking blue. For example, this morning my brain was playing "Spice Up Your Life" for me. No idea how that got into my head, as I haven't listened to the Spice Girls in years.
    I find not having my earbuds in my ears while I am on the bus or walking or en route somewhere really helps minimize my earworms.

Usually, if I am unable to fall asleep, it is not because there is a song in my head, it is because of another underlying issue (stress, too much caffeine during the day).

My earworms are a lot more manageable now, however I do have music playing in my head for the better portion of the day. It is just much quieter than it used to be.

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Sometimes I get it when I'm walking, and whatever song will be in sync with my step,. it won't go away unless I make a conscious effort to alter my walking pattern, like doing stutter-steps to break the rhythm. At night if it happens when I'm trying to go to sleep, I just try to give a good sigh and think of a long decrescendo trumpet note.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiX2PbrBXCQ

5. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Currently Playing: Jimi Hendrix - Catfish Blues

(Best experienced in order) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tAwqYlCmFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDkLjL5fZys