My Town Is Cutting Down All The Trees :(

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Laci, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

^^^ That

1 person likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Not all the green and trees have to go in order to build more houses. It seems also that by experience the most pleasant cities to live in are those with trees in the lawns, lots of green buffer zones, parks etc. If it was a rural area before animal (wild) life will suffer to some extent though. But it is plain silly and unneeded to turn into a complete concrete jungle nearly always.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Gather likeminded peple, like Meliai said see if there are public meetings or try to set up one (with help). I bet you're not the only one in your area who cares about this.

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

oh , dearest Amish Hippies ... by and of bicycle and donkey , we need you .

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You can do this, and encourage your neighbors to do it as well - Establish habitats for the displaced animals.
    Code:
    Whether you have an apartment balcony or a 20-acre farm, you can create a garden that 
    attracts beautiful wildlife and helps restore habitat in commercial and residential areas.

By providing food, water, cover, a place for wildlife to raise their young, in a healthy 
    habitat, you not only help wildlife, but you also qualify to become an official Certified Wildlife Habitat® joining an active community of over 400,000 wildlife gardeners across 
    the country.

http://www.nwf.org/How-to-Help/Garden-for-Wildlife/Certify-Your-Wildlife-Garden.aspx

1 person likes this.
  6. Aerianne

7. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

The country is artificially inflating the population in an effort to keep the 1-shot economy afloat. It's designed for continuous growth, so an additional 50 million people are being added through various programs and by ignoring dozens of already-existing laws. The loss of trees is the most obvious sign that we are packing people in.

Another reason some communities are cutting trees is to keep power lines clear, especially if ice is ever an issue. This is happening because investing in underground power lines costs more money than cutting trees.

8. Aerianne

The indigenous North Americans understand the natural law.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's the system, Laci. The system-that is: assigning everything a $$$ value for the purpose of accumulation/growth and the earth HAS to bear the losses the system requires. Trees must go, houses must be built, farmland must be built upon, shopping centers must be built, resources must be continually turned into PRODUCTS--the animals must go--somewhere. The system needs to continue this relentless conversion or the whole rig collapses. That you are willing (and hopefully able) to affect some change locally is admirable and I hope you succeed. Millions more like you are needed, because individuals bucking the powers that be may as well be pissing into the wind.

If nothing else, perhaps you could organize a tree planting brigade-type deal to plant many, many more trees in your town------------

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, the indians did always plant a tree when they took one, I heard.....:)

11. Laci

Laci Members

I appreciate everyone's posts!

I plan to start planting a lot here soon, and will most definitely work to build a wildlife-friendly yard. I love Pinterest and I'm sure to find lots of great ideas :)

As for the system, I understand it. More people need more housing and more jobs, so more buildings go up and the trees go down. I know it's the system now, but it does kill me. I just hope that by speaking up, someone will hear me out and I can make a difference, even if it is just in my community. I'm currently growing a maple tree that I got as a seed about 10 years ago, and it's grown up quite nice in a pot. Eventually I'll find a nice place to plant it where I can be assured it will remain for a long, long time.

I contacted the conservation society of our county, waiting to hear back from them. I plan to go to the city council meetings and see if I can speak, in addition to writing letters to local and state officials. I know my efforts probably won't do much, but I can't bear the thought of watching this happen and not speaking up.

We really do need to learn how to live WITH the Earth, not just on it. *sigh*

3 people like this.
  12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The system runs more on WANTS than on needs. Be that as it may, it's admirable to see you taking the time to care and attempt to do something about it. I hope many in your town join you in this.

Trees are good--mmmmkay.

13. Laci

Laci Members

I would be happy with just some little changes. These trees that I'm seeing cut down- they're on the outskirts of town. The big hype around here is building huge developments out in "nature" around lakes and rivers. So then to build these developments, they cut down all the trees near the lakes and rivers. The trees were previously thriving and I used to see lots of squirrels, birds, raccoons, and other critters living there.
    Nowadays I see the deer wandering into town all the time, right into people's front yards, because their original habitats are being destroyed. With no where else to go, they come into town. Iowa is big on hunting, so the hunters see this as the perfect reason to increase the hunting season with the excuse, "These animals are becoming a nuisance in town, we don't want them here, we need to get rid of them". I don't mind the deer one bit, in fact, I enjoy seeing them. I worry about them getting hit by cars, or them causing car accidents, but it's not their fault that this is the one place left to go.

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

14. Tyrsonswood

In many ways those deer are seen about the same way as the homeless. "they should just go away, somewhere other than here"

I don't give "modern society" very long before it implodes and the shyt hits the proverbial fan. Until then this madness is just going to accelerate.

1 person likes this.
  15. Laci

Laci Members

I feel you on that. The way the cities around me treat the homeless really bothers me too, but that's for another thread. I feel like it's our responsibility to help the ones who need it and want it, and to help everyone get to wherever it is they need to go in life. I know there were times when I needed the extra help, support, someone to go the extra mile for me, and I'm so thankful for it.

If only the animals, the trees, the plants, had voices. I can't imagine the things they would say to us.

16. Tyrsonswood

You aren't listening quietly enough...

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Laci, please please keep your idealism as you grow older. The world needs more people like you.

1 person likes this.
  18. Laci

Laci Members

I think I understand where you're coming from. I notice subtle things- I don't see the bumblebees anymore, I don't see hardly any butterflies anymore. I like to think that I communicate with my animals well, I understand their behavior in ways others don't. Verbally saying things isn't the only way to communicate, but I do need to listen a little quieter :)

19. Laci

Laci Members

I truly do appreciate you saying that. There's a lot of times I feel like I'm not meeting the expectations I'm "supposed to" at my age- having a job, having a driver's license, I even dropped out of high school. It can really get me down when I feel like I'm not a good person for not doing things the same way as other people do or at the same pace, but I do find peace in the fact that I do have a heart bigger than the galaxy- which can be a good or bad thing :) I appreciate so much all the kind ones- they're a dime a dozen.

20. Aerianne

You're passionate. That's awesome!

1 person likes this.